Simple observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple observation

Something that continually puzzles me and i wondered what other members thought.

First off is that this site is both well constructed and user friendly, with due kudos to Doc Sin et al!

Second that posting either new threads or simple replies here is not only easy but actively encouraged.

Third that in the Barracks forum, most threads are interesting in some way, and give in my view the chance of a wide spectrum of views to be expressed, apart from the huge information and fun to be had.

Fourth and last, it takes but a few minutes to register and a few seconds to log in.

Question...

WHY then just before i wrote this, were their just eight members and FORTY-TWO guests viewing the forum?

WHATS UP YOU GUEST TYPE PEOPLE?

Take a little time to register, login and contribute!

Regards

Gaz

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
    First off is that this site is both well constructed and user friendly, with due kudos to Doc Sin et al!
    The vast majority of kudos must go to Siberian HEAT.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Well, this is an easygoin' forum with friendly users that makes other users to feel welcome. Look at me, I've been here just under a month now (registred 22/10 - '07) and felt at home from the first week here. I participate in a couple of the forumparts that have a special interest to me, especially the modellin' forum (other hobby's is also welcome in there) and that's a really tight nit group of people that stick together but they let you in the group within a blink of the eye. Kudos goes to the members as a forum never is better than it's members.

ACG, the friendly place on the net!
      The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
      ----
      We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

All of the above, plus the rugs are the cleanest, and the dress code is enforced.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Yeah, no shorts n' no admiting without a jacket n' a tie...
          The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
          ----
          We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

Many of those 'guests' are search spiders for numerous web search sites like Yahoo and Google.
            If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Bigger problem than that . . .

As I type this the counter shows 12,186 members, how many names do you see as thread starters? I'm guessing the "90/9/1" collaboration pattern applies:
              • Roughly 90% of members [register users] don't do anything.
              • 9% of members contribute less than half of the total [articles, posts, uploads, etc.]
              • The remaining 1% actually contribute the majority of the material

So if you've started a thread, created a thoughtful reply, or produced a hard-to-find article that help answer some one's question, congratulation - you're already in the 10% that is trying.
              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                As I type this the counter shows 12,186 members, how many names do you see as thread starters? I'm guessing the "90/9/1" collaboration pattern applies:
                • Roughly 90% of members [register users] don't do anything.
                • 9% of members contribute less than half of the total [articles, posts, uploads, etc.]
                • The remaining 1% actually contribute the majority of the material

So if you've started a thread, created a thoughtful reply, or produced a hard-to-find article that help answer some one's question, congratulation - you're already in the 10% that is trying.
                Coyote,
                You know I stand behind no one in my respect for your opinions. However, allow me to provide an alternative prospective.

In relationship to some "active" members, I've been here a while. (Apr.) As a user of the "archives", I only came here out of curiosity. Since that time, I have sampled other sites and found them wanting.
                While I'm comfortable in discussing HISTORY, I quickly discovered that my general knowledge in the areas of the social sciences was not an asset in threads that delved into specific areas.
                Today, I posted my 4th? thread. I hope it is welcomed as part of the community, but if not, I will not take it personally. I contribute where I feel comfortable, but many of my ideas are already spoken, or without relevance on the topic.
                What do I do? I read. I learn. This is the most incredible source of perspective I have ever seen. At barely 800, my posts are insignificant compared to most that have been here since Apr.. I try not to clutter the site with nonsense within serious discussions.
                With your experience and abilities, I can understand the desire to discuss matters at a level you can enjoy. But, know you also provide a greater service. Your thoughts and comments are measured and ingested by those of us that only watch and read.

Regards,
                Hal
                My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

I find most threads are one of two types.

Detail discussions in anal levels of excruciating exactitude, and if I wanted THAT much reference detail, I'd likely be reading one of my large collections of books. Because frankly I trust my books more than unproven opinion.

Gossip which is really just that, nothing but gossip, banter, social blathering, and over all just people talking. Nothing wrong with it, it's about all I am interested in really.

I would like to be capable of being the sort that starts a thread and discusses something in incredible detail, but really, if I have that great a desire to write reference material, I think I will submit it to a publisher and get paid for it too.
                  In that way the effort to be correct and accurate is worth it.

It's why I seem to only be here to gossip

I will submit, that most of us are only here to gossip, and only a few have a burning need to delve into analytical discussions.
                  Life is change. Built models for decades.
                  Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                  I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I found this site while I was searching on Google. I had been researching the battle of Thames , the War of 1812. I had done much research into the battle and I was looking for other sources as well as an artistic depiction of the battle because I wanted to paint one of my own that included my 5th great grandfather and needed some reference points. A post from this site came up in the Google results and I immediately joined so that I could post a reply otherwise if I hadn’t wanted to post right away, I would have lurked for a while, reading and absorbing the great information on the site.

My intention at first was to post only one or two posts about the battle of Thames and then move on but this site has some interesting, friendly, and informative members and I was hooked from the very first day.

I do not belong to any other forum and I do not post anywhere else. I am quiet shy about my knowledge and do not feel as informed as many that post here, but I continue to read and enjoy the great many informative discussions even though I do not post my own opinions on them.

Maybe one day I will get up the courage to post something other than gossip or a quick reply in the Barracks board but for now I thank all those who share their opinions and knowledge so well and I truly enjoy them.

Comment

I joined this forum as soon as I found it. Some people like to lurk for a while some times forever. They want to get a feel for the board to see if they can learn anything and to see if they have anything to add. Or they are very shy and are afraid they will get dumped on by current meembers if they post something the current memebers don't like.
                      Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
                      If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Let's get more positive about the term 'lurker'

Well once again, my real life collides with ACG

While doing research for a project I ran across this - http://www.cpsquare.org/edu/News/arc...pSPring03a.doc

It is in MS Word format.

The site index is here - http://www.cpsquare.org/edu/foundations/index.htm

". . . The culture of the Internet allows you to link, lurk, and learn. You can move from the periphery to the centre safely asking a question—sometimes more safely virtually than physically, and then back out again. It has provided a platform for perhaps the most successful form of learning that civilization has ever seen. . . "
                        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                          I joined this forum as soon as I found it. Some people like to lurk for a while some times forever. They want to get a feel for the board to see if they can learn anything and to see if they have anything to add. Or they are very shy and are afraid they will get dumped on by current meembers if they post something the current memebers don't like.
                          same with me, I even brought a friend with me ,SocomSniper and my teacher Timoshenko
                          "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
                          "

Comment

Har!

An interesting circumstance, ace...

A place where pupil & teacher - even high school dropout - stand upon level ground.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                              Har!

An interesting circumstance, ace...

A place where pupil & teacher - even high school dropout - stand upon level ground.

how says I'm a drop out
                              "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
                              "

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X