Report Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report Cards

The who, what, when, were of report cards. Who first devolped them when where what about grading in general?

This is not restricted to the US but world history.
    Last edited by Half Pint John; 17 Nov 07, 10:18.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

I don't know HP, but its a good question. Some quick research didn't come up with anything. If anyone knows, I would put my money on Pruitt or Holly6.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
      I don't know HP, but its a good question. Some quick research didn't come up with anything. If anyone knows, I would put my money on Pruitt or Holly6.

Slug, slug he is our man, if he don't know then Hal can................etc

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
        Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
        Slug, slug he is our man, if he don't know then Hal can................etc
        Errr...Uhhhh...Hmmmm.... of course! Such a simple question would be but child's play for one of my great knowledge base

But we're all aware of how much Pruitt and Slug love the limelight, so I will defer the question to them.

(Interesting question) I'd also be interested in learning what other country's ed. system use.
        Last edited by holly6; 17 Nov 07, 10:59.
        My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
          Errr...Uhhhh...Hmmmm.... of course! Such a simple question would be but child's play for one of my great knowledge base

But we're all aware of how much Pruitt and Slug love the limelight, so I will defer the question to them.

(Interesting question) I'd also be interested in learning what other country's ed. system use.

The question actually comes from a German Chemical Institute on line quiz. The present German grading system runs on a 6 point scale. 1 being best and 6 away past F.

It is humbling to me to be in the presents of such modesty. Giving up your chance at world fame and recognition, a sign of a great man.

or a slick way to dodge the question

Comment

I am guessing that it might pre-date Roman times. There have always been schools of sorts and you have to rank people. Its human nature.

It probably goes back the age of the caveman when Ug II wasn't asked to go hunting with the others becuase he had no pictures of bison after his spear!

Comment

So how did everyone do grade wise on here that is in school?
              Last edited by Kevin23; 17 Nov 07, 17:22.

Comment

That's not the question?

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                  The question actually comes from a German Chemical Institute on line quiz. The present German grading system runs on a 6 point scale. 1 being best and 6 away past F.

It is humbling to me to be in the presents of such modesty. Giving up your chance at world fame and recognition, a sign of a great man.

or a slick way to dodge the question
                  You noticed that huh

On every system assessment there is that terrible section that starts out:
                  "Provide evidence of postive impact on student learning."

We know what it is. We even know when it happens. The difficulty is in explaining our findings to everyone involved in such a manner that all will come to the same conclusions.

Whether its A-F, 1-10, check, plus, minus or any other scale, the gradients of the values need to be universally accepted. What we have experienced in recent years is a "morphing" of the seperations. (Grade Inflation)

I have no idea when our present letter system began. Any that are truly curious can hit the link below. It will lead you to 1200+ studies on grading systems around the world. Enjoy
                  Warning!!! Reading ERIC links can lead to migrane headaches, drooling, and a temporary affliction that manifests itself with the victim walking around in a daze mumbling: "huh?"

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal...chtype=keyword
                  My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

So far I've gotten it down to Emperor Joesph II of Austria, 1738. What did we do for grades before that?

Comment

I would guess systematized grading and reporting would come in with systematized education. In Europe for a long time education was guild or apprenticeship-based, even university. You graduated (i.e. became a master) by creating a master-work, a piece that showed you had mastered the requisite skills, but there was no formal reporting beyond that, although your master/teacher would certainly test you informally. But you didn't get a grade--you passed or failed. I don't think the idea of involving parents through reporting was there, because the students weren't considered children the way we think of children. Apprentices were small badly-behaved adults. Childhood lasts a lot longer now than it used to.

I think the earliest standardized testing system was Han China. The purpose there was to systematize education for the enormous civil service bureaucracy. I'd bet in Europe it's the same thing. The need for systematically-organized eduction comes in with the development of large meritocratic bureaucracies and expanded out from there. Before centralized bureaucratic states, reading, writing, and math were specialized skills, not everyday survival skills.
                      Every 10 years a great man.
                      Who paid the bill?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X