Online Book Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Book Club

Earlier today, I read in a thread that someone is currently reading the same book I am (Red Army, by Ralph Peters), and it got me thinking. It might be kind of neat to have an online "virtual" book club, where each month (or so) we select a book and read through it, and then use the forums for discussion about the book. There is a "book club" forum here that maybe we could use, if enough people would be interested... and maybe have different threads for the different chapters or major themes/storyline discussion. Could be fiction or nonfiction, I guess it would make sense to try to pick books that several people are interested in reading.

Would something like that be interesting to anyone? Kind of like the group builds in the modeling forum (except we'd all be reading and discussing the same book). I always want to do more reading and less web-surfing... this would be a way where the web-surfing is actually incentive to do some extra reading.

Anyway, just thought I'd toss the idea out there to see if anyone is interested. If the idea ends up sucking, please don't hit me.
    "I am not an atomic playboy."
    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Only downside is everyone needs to have the book.

Whereas with the model builds, you don't need the same model.

Your idea would maybe work better if you didn't compare comments on a single book, but all picked a single topic, and everyone read a book on it, and reported the opinion on their find.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Books and ACG Book Club

It is there, it just needs to be used.

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

I would do it. All you need is access to a library in most cases.
        "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
        -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
          Only downside is everyone needs to have the book.
          Originally posted by Airchallenged View Post
          I would do it. All you need is access to a library in most cases.
          That's kind of what I was thinking... barring any bleeding-edge, hot off the press material, a quick trip to the library could probably get someone rolling. I'm not thinking anything too obscure necessarily, either. Example... when I'm done with Red Army, I'd probably be interested in reading Red Storm Rising. I figure others might too, even folks who've already read the book. And that book should be available in libraries, used book stores, etc... Acually, doesn't even have to be a military-themed book necessarily; I'm sure there are a number of sci-fi or mystery fans out there as well.

Although the idea of a "theme" might work too, I was thinking more along the lines of discussing an actual book as a book, not just as a topic. (I.e. what do you like about the author, how is his narrative style, that kind of thing too.)
          "I am not an atomic playboy."
          Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

If it is a book about the Vietnam war I probably have already read it or it is in my library waiting to be read, so I would be good to go. For anything else I would probably be lost.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X