Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BASEBALL of all things!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BASEBALL of all things!

    Last question before tea!

    Ive come to enjoy watching baseball over time, but one aspect still erks me a little... the 'intentional walk' (correct term?).
    Its the one aspect i feel detracts from my enjoyment of the game, so ive a suggestion for a rule change that i'd like your comments on...

    In Cricket we have a thing called a wide, where if a ball is bowled (intentionally or otherwise) and is deemed 'unplayable' (i wont bore you... ) then a run is awarded to the batting team.

    What if something similar was started in baseball?

    It would prevent 'walks' (boring play) and give the fans more real pitches to enjoy! I'm sure it could easily be introduced and in my view would improve the game.

    What say you... blasphemy or a reasonable suggestion?

    thanks

    Gaz

  • #2
    Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
    Last question before tea!

    Ive come to enjoy watching baseball over time, but one aspect still erks me a little... the 'intentional walk' (correct term?).
    Its the one aspect i feel detracts from my enjoyment of the game, so ive a suggestion for a rule change that i'd like your comments on...

    In Cricket we have a thing called a wide, where if a ball is bowled (intentionally or otherwise) and is deemed 'unplayable' (i wont bore you... ) then a run is awarded to the batting team.

    What if something similar was started in baseball?

    It would prevent 'walks' (boring play) and give the fans more real pitches to enjoy! I'm sure it could easily be introduced and in my view would improve the game.

    What say you... blasphemy or a reasonable suggestion?

    thanks

    Gaz
    I love talking baseball. As boring as the intentional walk is, it can be a complete game changer. In the National League, the pitcher bats, and the pitcher is usually the worst hitter in the lineup and will usually bat 9th, unless there have been substitutions in the late innings, and he may be placed anwhere. If there are 2 outs and a runner in scoring position, and there is an open base, and the batter before the pitcher is up, it makes good sense to walk that batter to face the pitcher. The pitcher usually will strike out, or has a very low average and will usually get out. This will preserve the same score.
    Also double plays are big parts of baseball. You may have a batter on third base with one out, and nobody else on. You might want to walk the next batter so you now have first and 3rd with the possibility of a double play. Many times the batter will hit a ground ball which can be a quick double play and the side is retired. As the game gets into later innings you will see the intentional walk used more and more.


    "You're riding high in April, Shot down in May,
    But I know I'm gonna change that tune, When I'm back on top, back on top in June" 'That's Life'

    Comment


    • #3
      Got to keep the intentional walk. Maybe just telling the umpire you wish to do
      that might be a little better than lobbing 4 pitches up there out of the strike zone. Occaisionally wild things happen like the batter trying to hit the pitch
      anyway or the pitcher throwing one all the way to the screen... letting a runner score. So probably no changes with that rule.
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
        It would prevent 'walks' (boring play) and give the fans more real pitches to enjoy!
        Right... because the rest of the game of baseball is such an adrenaline rush. :P
        "I am not an atomic playboy."
        Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
          I love talking baseball. As boring as the intentional walk is, it can be a complete game changer. In the National League, the pitcher bats, and the pitcher is usually the worst hitter in the lineup and will usually bat 9th, unless there have been substitutions in the late innings, and he may be placed anwhere. If there are 2 outs and a runner in scoring position, and there is an open base, and the batter before the pitcher is up, it makes good sense to walk that batter to face the pitcher. The pitcher usually will strike out, or has a very low average and will usually get out. This will preserve the same score.
          Also double plays are big parts of baseball. You may have a batter on third base with one out, and nobody else on. You might want to walk the next batter so you now have first and 3rd with the possibility of a double play. Many times the batter will hit a ground ball which can be a quick double play and the side is retired. As the game gets into later innings you will see the intentional walk used more and more.


          "You're riding high in April, Shot down in May,
          But I know I'm gonna change that tune, When I'm back on top, back on top in June" 'That's Life'
          Rock...

          From what you say i can understand why the teams would want the rules unchanged... my suggestion was purely from the fans point of view. I would much prefer to see a series of real pitches testing both pitcher and batter, rather than 4 boring safe pitches for tactical reasons.

          thanks

          Gaz

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
            Rock...

            From what you say i can understand why the teams would want the rules unchanged... my suggestion was purely from the fans point of view. I would much prefer to see a series of real pitches testing both pitcher and batter, rather than 4 boring safe pitches for tactical reasons.

            thanks

            Gaz
            I didn't have my hearing aid in when I read the question, so that is why I didn't respond about the rule change I agree with Dgfred, because you could have a wild pitch thrown during an intentional walk, or you might have Kelly Leak at bat and he may swing, because you never want to do an intentional walk with the bases loaded. However, a rule I would like changed is to bring back the pine tar, because no one responds better to a called back homerun better than George Brett.


            "You're riding high in April, Shot down in May,
            But I know I'm gonna change that tune, When I'm back on top, back on top in June" 'That's Life'

            Comment


            • #7
              You guys are gonna love pages 22 and 23 of the new issue of ACG...

              Dr. S.
              Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

              www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

              www.tabletown.co.uk

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
                Rock...

                From what you say i can understand why the teams would want the rules unchanged... my suggestion was purely from the fans point of view. I would much prefer to see a series of real pitches testing both pitcher and batter, rather than 4 boring safe pitches for tactical reasons.

                thanks

                Gaz
                I understand your point of view, as that was also mine when I was younger. However, I have learned to understand and appreciate the strategies that make baseball interesting. A lot of decisions are based on odds and percentages. It is quite interesting when the batting team sends in a right handed hitter to replace a left handed hitter just to have the pitching team walk the righthander just to get to the next batter which is lefthanded. Percentages show that most left handed pitchers fare better against lefties and vice versa for right handed pitchers. The pitching team has to also consider the batting percentages of each hitter and whether they hit more ground balls or fly balls, and how they have done historically against that particular pitcher or throwing style, or in that particular situation. Some batters rise to certain occasions and others choke. Sometime changing batters trigger a pitching change also. It goes on and on.............................
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

                Prayers.

                BoRG

                http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

                Comment

                Latest Topics

                Collapse

                Working...
                X