Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Two!

Now you've got me started...

Probably because i'm tired and i'll have to stay awake till half one to see tonights game. Can't even remember whos playing?

Anyone remind me please?...

So... the question (of sorts).

In a movie starring i think (James Caan) was featured an American Football game. During the game an unusual (i thought so) play and score was featured. From what i remember it was as follows...

The ATT team set up on i think 4th down for a pass play, with the line of scrimage about 40 yards from the DEF goal line. The QB made a lateral pass and after (i think) another pass (still behind the scrimage line) a player then 'DROP-KICKED' the ball through the opposition posts to score.

Can anyone explain the name of this play, is it legal, what points is it worth if any and has it been used in a recent or any NFL game?

Drop kicks are legal in Rugby Union from behind the 'gain line' and this seems a similar if not identical move/play.

Thoughts anyone?

Gaz

donna no bout the flick but essentialy the described action would have remained just as ya cited GAZ man a 'Drop kick' in this case attemting to score three points as in an American field goal. But usually the standard is a 'placed kicked ball' for that on 4th down not a drop kicked ball...two different techniques.

often used as a suprise play on 2nd or 3rd down near the goal in the early history of football; last time anybody did it for one point as in point after touchdown, was Doug Flutie in 2006.

best
    CV

Comment

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis View Post
      donna no bout the flick but essentialy the described action would have remained just as ya cited GAZ man a 'Drop kick' in this case attemting to score three points as in an American field goal. But usually the standard is a 'placed kicked ball' for that on 4th down not a drop kicked ball...two different techniques.

often used as a suprise play on 2nd or 3rd down near the goal in the early history of football; last time anybody did it for one point as in point after touchdown, was Doug Flutie in 2006.

best
      CV
      BRILLIANT old mate!

Questions...

Would the kick be legal if made by a player who had recieved a pass either...

behind the scrimage line and had now run BEYOND it and then kicked...

or

if the player recieved a pass whilst downfield and then made the drop-kick?

Put another way...

Is the kick legal only behind the line of scrimmage?

Another just popped in...

Can ANYONE on the ATT team make a legal field goal or drop-kick attempt?

Gaz

Comment

no

No that would be a fumble and then delay of game for attempting to kick it...it's only legal behind the LOS.

Only the place kicker and or holder initialy, or any body at the prescribed distance behind the line,.....i cant remember if you have to declare to intend to do a drop kick or not. if not and lets say it was missed it's still a 'live' ball and if a tackle picks it up still behind the LOS and drop kicks it ,for the field goal, i still believe it counts.

drink some gin and take a nap ole bean you sound weary....

best
        CV

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
          BRILLIANT old mate!

Questions...

or

Put another way...

Is the kick legal only behind the line of scrimmage?

Gaz
          All right, I'll bite again.

1. Kick's only legal behind the line of scrimmage.

2. Hell of a question. My gut says "yes". But I'm not sure.

3. 49's vs Seahawks. GO SEAHAWKS!!!
          My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

49's vs Seahawks. GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Ill damn sure support that Hal.

best
            CV

Comment

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis View Post
              49's vs Seahawks. GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Ill damn sure support that Hal.

best
              CV
              Hardly a local 'DERBY' a la Arsenal/Tottenham...

Why the intense rivalry or is it just... FOOTIE?

Gaz

Comment

Not sure about CV, he might just dislike SF. I live in WA. Win or lose, I'm almost honor bound to support the Hawks. Most of the country would agree it's "not a proper game".
                My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

I love SF for the view and the chow.

I love SF for the memories of the kindly hookers off Broadway street who loved men in uniform with lots a money....or even better when we was broke.

I HATE SF for it's politics..liberality and lack of certain types of morality; in matters that need not be discussed here.

I love Seattle for the memories of Fortress Lewis and the fact that my son's first pro game with his pater was watching the Hawks.

best
                  CV

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X