Australian Invasion on US Mainland.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Invasion on US Mainland.

How many of you know that the giant American "Muscle Car" icon Pontiac has an aussie in disguise in its ranks.
    (Yes its a case of "Badge Engineering" at its finest again.)

2008 Pontiac G8

Now here is how it looks before its US make-over.

2007 Holden SS Commodore VE

Its also available as a 2 seater Utility Vehicle.
    In Australia this type of vehicle is just called a "Ute".

Many aussie families here are patriotic, die hard Holden fanatics, so this is what they would buy as their family car.
    (Besides, Aussies do love big V8 RWD Cars.)

The Sports Utes (With makes like Ford Australia's ute also included) here are popular with teenagers and IMHO men having a mid-life crisis mainly because its a much lighter vehicle without a rear half of a passenger cabin making it faster in acceleration than a sedan.
    Its the Aussie Sports Car.
    (Thats if they aren't one of those morons that buy a 4WD instead and never take it off a sealed road or the 4WD's for the wife that she only uses to go shopping and pick the kids up from school in. - RANT OVER.)

But them changing the name is fair, we re-named their "Burger King" over here.

They are really the same car, but which one looks more attractive from a purely aesthetic point of view in your opinion?
    (Without bias I actually like the look of the Aussie one better.)

Cheers,
    Dave
    Roger, I see them. Attacking now

I like the looks of both. Nice looking cars except the second one has it's steering wheel on the wrong side. When will you guys learn??
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

It looks like you guys stole the original design from Volkswagen

Comment

Nice looking ride, but I'm older. Give me a late 50s, 60s or early 70s muscle car any time. And put real mufflers on the thing. Not those tinny things kids use today that sound like a gas filled butt set on full automatic.

I'll stick with my Ram pickup. Now if you want to invade with women, my sons in the market.

Age 25 and entering the banking industry. Yeah, I know some of you may not like the business but your daughters will be well cared for.
        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

WOW, you really had me scared Dave!

I thought we were going to get the second coming of the Bee Gee's.

Take deep breaths now, slow down, nothing to get scared of, it was only a bad dream.

HP
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

No German engineers involved with this car, its designed entirely in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_VE_Commodore

Cheers,
            Dave

Comment

Does that mean you have and "H" instead of a "D" on the shift lever? Hop!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                Nice looking ride, but I'm older. Give me a late 50s, 60s or early 70s muscle car any time. And put real mufflers on the thing. Not those tinny things kids use today that sound like a gas filled butt set on full automatic.

I'll stick with my Ram pickup. Now if you want to invade with women, my sons in the market.

Age 25 and entering the banking industry. Yeah, I know some of you may not like the business but your daughters will be well cared for.
                You might like the Holden Efijy then.

Cheers,
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                  Does that mean you have and "H" instead of a "D" on the shift lever? Hop!
                  What Shift Lever?

Have a look at the Efijy's interior pic, you will see its Push Button.

Cheers,
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Dave View Post
                    What Shift Lever?

Have a look at the Efijy's interior pic, you will see its Push Button.

Cheers,
                    Dave
                    Push Button, while how about that! Haven't seen one of those since my teen years on my mates 58 Plymouth

Comment

Shoot; this is the only Aussie car I really liked.

And the Interceptor of course.

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                        Shoot; this is the only Aussie car I really liked.

And the Interceptor of course.

Ah yes Mad Max's black Interceptor, the super cool, super-charged 1973 XB GT Ford Falcon Coupe. (a make of car exclusive to Australia.)

Now that was a beast.

Cheers,
                        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post

If you want a good muscle car why not try the Monaro
                          http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

This would be the second Australian invasion.

From 2004 - 2006 a version of the Holden Manaro was sold in the US as the Pontiac GTO (reviving the name of the much loved 60's era muscle car).

By all accounts a great car, which US buyers avoided in droves. Something less that 50,000 were sold.

I wanted one but it suffered from two problems, it didn't meet Canadian bumper safety standards, and (IMHO) was overpriced (and you had to pay extra for a MANUAL transmission? !)
                            Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Dave View Post
                              2007 Holden SS Commodore VE
                              And this is what it looked like before Holden ripped it off....

If you can't tell yet i'm a Ford fan and if your a Holden fan get some NEW ideas
                              "Folks need to be realists and realize that peace is a nice idea, but ultimately unattainable on a worldwide level."
                              - 6thInf Grandson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X