Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 great places to honor our military heroes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 10 great places to honor our military heroes

    10 great places to honor our military heroes

    With Veterans Day weekend upon us, historian and author Douglas Brinkley talks with Tim Smight for USA TODAY about where to honor military heroes from our nation's history.
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

  • #2
    Interesting article, and great places, although seems more appropriate for Memorial Day. On this Veteran's Day, we should thank the soldiers past and presant, who are living.
    Just like children sleeping, we can dream this night away... ~NY

    Comment


    • #3
      Great list. Only omission I can see is in our hearts.
      ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
      ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

      Comment


      • #4
        This should be a baker's dozen

        Comment


        • #5
          Its been really cool to visit this UK this time of year becuase you know who really appreciates the vetrans. They all wear these little plastic poppies on their lapels. It gets better: the monies from the poppy sales go towards veterans and their families that are in need. When the company started, they hired alot of vets that might have been disabled in some way and apparently the trend has continued to this day as they hire alot of disabled people. Pretty cool! Thumbs up to the British contingent!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
            Its been really cool to visit this UK this time of year becuase you know who really appreciates the vetrans. They all wear these little plastic poppies on their lapels. It gets better: the monies from the poppy sales go towards veterans and their families that are in need. When the company started, they hired alot of vets that might have been disabled in some way and apparently the trend has continued to this day as they hire alot of disabled people. Pretty cool! Thumbs up to the British contingent!
            This is not strictly a British tradition. The American Legion and VFW have been selling them for years in the States and overseas communities. Perhaps that is only within the military communities. Aren't poppy's for sale at other places in the States?
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

            Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

            you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
              This is not strictly a British tradition. The American Legion and VFW have been selling them for years in the States and overseas communities. Perhaps that is only within the military communities. Aren't poppy's for sale at other places in the States?
              I don't recall seeing them before or hearing about the tradition up until the last couple of years and I am pretty supportive of the military. That being said, I have never lived in a military town. I know the Aussies do the poppies, but think it is more for ANZAC day.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                I don't recall seeing them before or hearing about the tradition up until the last couple of years and I am pretty supportive of the military. That being said, I have never lived in a military town. I know the Aussies do the poppies, but think it is more for ANZAC day.
                Sept/Oct I was in CONUS and the Vets were selling poppy's, both red and blue. But only at Langley AFB and Ft Monroe, didn't see any down town now that I think about it. Maybe it's time to turn all the calls of "Support Our Troops" in to action and not just words.

                HP
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I feel like Veteran's Day, or Remembrance Day, is very important, but that it is more important to remember them year round. I keep a yellow ribbon on my Jeep and a POW/MIA bracelet on my arm. They both make you stop and think, albeit for a second, everytime you see them. Still, that's not really doing something, in the sense that HP is talking about.
                  Last edited by Biscuit; 10 Nov 07, 14:48.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    10 great places to honor our military heroes

                    I have only done it twice but felt some how close to those that fell. I spent two different nights during the fall in the Snow Efiel of Germany. No hotel, no heated tent but just as they did in 44-45. In a poncho and a wool blanket and one of the many foxholes that remain. On the return home I made the stop in Luxembourg at the military cemetery. Havn't done that in years but maybe next year.......................
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                    Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                    you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm going to a place thats not on that list or in the US.
                      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

                      Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno View Post
                        10 great places to honor our military heroes

                        With Veterans Day weekend upon us, historian and author Douglas Brinkley talks with Tim Smight for USA TODAY about where to honor military heroes from our nation's history.
                        My answer is "everwhere". It's not something you should do on special occasions.
                        Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                        Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


                        "Never pet a burning dog."

                        RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                        http://www.mormon.org
                        http://www.sca.org
                        http://www.scv.org/
                        http://www.scouting.org/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom View Post
                          I'm going to a place thats not on that list or in the US.
                          Where?
                          Just like children sleeping, we can dream this night away... ~NY

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Lweber1978 View Post
                            Where?
                            I'll let you know in a week
                            The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

                            Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So many places

                              Having been to Arlington I certainly agree on that choice, overseas Omaha Beach Cemetary was overwhelming. For me Omaha was the top of the list, while Margraten and Hamm were a very close 2nd.
                              The thing about Omaha that makes it so special is the fact that many men actually died in that area. So it is extra sacred for me.
                              As soon as I saw it I lost it, .



                              Chad
                              "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X