What sport are these guys playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sport are these guys playing?

While I was in college I took a couple of semesters of fencing (epee), so I've been kinda interested in watching the Olympic version. Well for one reason or another I haven't been able to watch it till this year. What I saw floored me, this isn't fencing...it's jousting without the horse. The two opponents were about 10' apart and then at the signal they held there sabers out in front of them and then ran at thier opponent. There was no thrust and parry, just a spectacle that lasted all of two seconds. Man times have really changed.

Well, there is no real art in it anymore...

Tough, striking fast and decisively is a nice mode of operation...
    "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
    which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
    The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
    returned to its home base."

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
      While I was in college I took a couple of semesters of fencing (epee), so I've been kinda interested in watching the Olympic version. Well for one reason or another I haven't been able to watch it till this year. What I saw floored me, this isn't fencing...it's jousting without the horse. The two opponents were about 10' apart and then at the signal they held there sabers out in front of them and then ran at thier opponent. There was no thrust and parry, just a spectacle that lasted all of two seconds. Man times have really changed.
      I didn't see the match, but keep in mind that saber fencing is significantly different than epee fencing, or foil fencing. Arms are valid targets, and the motions are different since you can strike with any part of the blade, as opposed to just the point. Since the ability to score the touch is increased, the style favors highly aggressive attacking to score first touch.
      I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

I read something about current fencing and old one. It seems that they are very different. In old times you had to touch your opponent... and avoid to be touched at all coast! Now, it doesn't matter if you are touched, because the opponent is not going to trespass your chest. The only important thing is being the first one touching. It seems that you may practice old fencing in some clubs that are trying to maintain the old knowledge alive.
        Cual lidian bien, sobre dorado arzón
        Mio Cid Ruy Diaz, el buen lidiador;
        Minaya Alvar Fáñez, que en Zorita mandó;
        Martín Antolínez, el burgalés de pro...!

Comment

Well you guys are probibly right, Im remembering a fencing technique of a time gone by.

Comment

I have had a few years of training with various swords also, and you should remember, there is a huge difference between sport fencing and defend-your-own-or-someone-else's-life fencing. The same holds true for every martial art I've seen.

Once you think about it, it'll make sense to you. Sports are so fully designed with safety in mind, the object being NOT to hurt your opponent. The absolute opposite from the real thing. It's difficult for me to watch fencing and the other Olympic martial arts, also.
            Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X