Bad news for hockey fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad news for hockey fans

Today I heard on the news that there is a strong likelyhood of an NHL lockout that will delay the season. After the players association rejected several stipulations by management, that included a salary cap, made a lockout by management just that much closer. Going have to follow this situation a little closer.

I am a hugh hockey fan, but this sort of stuff smacks of baseball. Each successive lock out or strike diminishes the fan base. And hockey isn't all that popular; just look at the television ratings and the trimmed down coverage.

I think we will see a shrinking of the league as a result of a lockout.

I'm thankful we have a semi-pro team here. Great fun to be at the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by cujo8-1
      I'm thankful we have a semi-pro team here. Great fun to be at the arena.
      We have a team here too.... Maybe you've heard of the Wichita Thunder?

When your Blazers and our Thunder get together, there is usually very little hockey played. The referees spend most of their time sorting out the bodies from the fights.
      Bandits at 8 o'clock move in behind us
      Ten ME-109's out of the sun
      Ascending and turning our Spitfires to face them
      Heading straight for them I press down my guns

"Aces High"
      Iron Maiden

Comment

Originally posted by thebigbad
        We have a team here too.... Maybe you've heard of the Wichita Thunder?

When your Blazers and our Thunder get together, there is usually very little hockey played. The referees spend most of their time sorting out the bodies from the fights.
        Unfortunately that is true. I like to see the game played more than the fists fly.

I brought my father-in-law to a game a few years back and then we saw the Coyotes play in Phoenix. He enjoyed ths Blazers game a lot more. Of course, there was more scoring, fighting and all around fan bufoonery.

Still nice to be at the arena from time to time.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned they just need to have the thing finished and the season started by the end of January, then the NFL season will be just about finished and it will time for me to follow hockey. Not to mention the season doesn't really 'start' until after Xmas any way. I actually hope its finished by then so I won't be stuck with basketball as the only sport on TV. Worst case it won't be long until NASCAR is back in season.
          It may be that at some time in the dim future of the race the need for war will vanish: but that time is yet ages distant. As yet no nation can hold its place in the world, or can do any work really worth doing, unless it stands ready to guard its right with an armed hand." - President Teddy Roosevelt
          (Quoted in Edmund Morris, The Rise Of Theodore Roosevelt, p. 594)

Comment

Thank god it's a World Cup year, so we get some hockey (and a Canada victory) before the lockout starts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X