Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditional Board and Card Games

Does anybody play 'em anymore?

I'm still surprised when I do a Google search for "classic games" and find myself overwhelmed with videogame sites. Guess that makes me an old fogie. When someone mentions classic games to me, I naturally first think of checkers, bridge, chess, dominoes, backgammon, rummy, and the like. When I was a kid, those games were household standards. Everybody knew how to play at least some of them. Now they're like niche games for kids or old folks.

Checkers is the prime example, I guess. In my dad's generation, checkers was played most everywhere. Just about every American boy got a checkers game for Christmas at some time or other, and you could play checkers at home, at work, in bars or barber shops -- lots of places. It was a game everybody knew, so it was easy to find an opponent and play. But today, checkers is almost strictly a game for children or old men -- usually old men from a rural background.

So, how 'bout you? Do you ever play traditional board or card games? And what do you think of them, in comparison to other kinds of games that are available nowadays?
    No, I don't like that kind of game much.
    1.92%
    I'll play one once in a while.
    7.69%
    Yes, I love games like this!
    21.15%
    I like checkers.
    7.69%
    I like pinochle.
    0.00%
    I like backgammon.
    11.54%
    I like rummy.
    7.69%
    I like chess.
    17.31%
    I like dominoes.
    5.77%
    I like bridge.
    0.00%
    I like reversi (Othello).
    3.85%
    I have another favorite that I'll mention in a post.
    15.38%
    --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

yupper still do a mean monopoly, chess, checkers etc.. and have been playing various card games for over 4 decades.

best
    CV

Comment

I play chess occasionaly via FICS or IECG. I used to play for a club but was never very good. Schedule conflicts mean I don't play at the club anymore.

I occasionally play Carcassonne. It's one of the German block games.

Comment

Tough question, but I went with posting another choice rather than yes I love them.

The big advantage of card games or board games is the opportunity for socialization.

My favorites are Risk, which almost caused me to be asked to leave the institution I attended as an undergraduate and Camelot. That said, I like darn near all of them.
        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Carroll View Post
          So, how 'bout you? Do you ever play traditional board or card games?
          Not as much as I would like.
          It almost seems like wherever you go, people like to play checkers and chess...I would play both now at the ACG reunion.
          Chinese checkers used to be fun.
          Years ago when I was single, and the planet Mars was very close to earth, I would have my buddies over almost every other weekend to barbecue, shoot the breeze, and hopefully play some sort of game.
          I haven't thought about this for quite some time, but gambling was always popular.
          Mostly roulette, I had this little game I bought at the store, and poker.
          I even got a crap table, but we didn't know how to use it.
          Other than that, depending on who was there... I would recommend the following...
          • traditional Risk. Unbelievable how intense this game can become. Especially with drinking, and the Stones, led Zeppelin, Doors, Aerosmith, and AC/DC playing in the background.
          • Monopoly. Tons of cheating though. Couldn't figure out why...
          • I didn't have the game back then, but I heard people fought over Axis and Allies.
          • If one dude came over, and he knew how to play, I would probably lose in Avalon Hill's Stalingrad, Russian Campaign, or D-Day, or my little game of Battleship.
          • A friend who knows how to do it, went on-line and got me copies of American Heritage's classics, Hit the Beach, and Broadside. Those games are a blast!
          • I think playing board games should be an expectation for us, as would be a three-hour presentation by Dr. Sinister, at our first ever ACG reunion.
          • Let's not forget APBA baseball and football too. Entire weekends would be consumed playing APBA
          Originally posted by Patrick Carroll View Post
          And what do you think of them, in comparison to other kinds of games that are available nowadays?
          Some of my greatest memories in life by far, are from being here visiting with you guys, and when I used to play games with my other buddies years ago.
          If the opportunity to play again came about would I play?
          Probably if the guy was cool...
          Last edited by Slug; 03 Nov 07, 18:20.
          "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

I like classic board games in the same way I like peanut better and jam sandwiches.

I eat them a lot, and they are always ok, but don't go looking for me to call them great eating.

That sums up classic board games nicely.

Chess for instance. I like to play chess, but reading a book on how to play it expertly, nah, I could never give it that much interest.

Risk played as a game where you lose say a penny for a counter lost, makes the game interesting. Otherwise standard Risk sucks large.

Monopoly is like visiting your inlaws. Ok if it's over in just a few hours, otherwise it begins to get more and more boring.

Card games. Well I like Poker for money. Small stakes of course, but there has to be money. Otherwise it's just not interesting enough.
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I like Hearts and Spades, and Cribbage as far as card games go. I remember playing the card game War when I was a little kid, and now my oldest son and I play sometimes too. As far as the list above, I'd have to say backgammon is my favorite from above.

"And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack. And you may find yourself in another part of the world. And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile. And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife and you may ask yourself 'Well...how did I get here?'"
              'Once in a Lifetime'

Comment

No poker on the list?

I believe it's one of the most complex and interesting games ever made.
                “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer View Post
                  No poker on the list?

I believe it's one of the most complex and interesting games ever made.
                  Poker's not a game...It's a trade...
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

We play dirty marbles. Uses cards instead of dice and is kinda like Agravation.
                    As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                    Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                      Poker's not a game...It's a trade...

Well said!
                      “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
                        Monopoly is like visiting your inlaws. Ok if it's over in just a few hours, otherwise it begins to get more and more boring.

Card games. Well I like Poker for money. Small stakes of course, but there has to be money. Otherwise it's just not interesting enough.

Both of these points are spot on.

Monopoly really is great for a bit and then it just goes on and on. I hate that stretch of it, I can't think of a time I finished a full game.

And poker does need some money on the line (with rare people as the exception). A person needs to either have a stake in it or just be extremely competitive - otherwise a huge part of the value of the game vanishes.

Comment

I love most of the board and card games mentioned here. I also like Yahtzee, Scrabble, Civilization, Stratego and Parchisi. One of my favorites was British Rail, but it's becoming harder to find enough players with a free evening.

I admit that for the last few years, I have been playing 'board' games in their computer versions just to keep my hand in.

Nobody wants to play with me. Sniff, sniff.
                          All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

I play chess when I'm not busy and I like it very much.
                            Historia Magistra Vitae.
                            M. T. Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
                              Chess for instance. I like to play chess, but reading a book on how to play it expertly, nah, I could never give it that much interest.
                              It's hard for me to imagine not reading up on chess to learn how to play it expertly (or at least how to play a decent game).

Games like chess and checkers are maddening for me (reversi/Othello would be too, but I just avoid it). I can win against a beginner and hold my own against a novice, but anytime I run into a half-decent player, it's like banging my head against a wall. So, I periodically get psyched up and start reading up on the game, hoping to finally get over that hurdle.

After some forty years of reading and trying, you'd think I'd wise up and go play dominoes or something instead. But I'm hopeless, I guess. Just today I was playing some checkers on the computer (after reading up on it yesterday) -- and it was lose, lose, lose, even against what was supposedly a novice-level AI.

I kinda sorta get these games when I read about 'em, but it's a terrible struggle to make myself think the way you have to think in order to play well.

Still, I'd almost rather play a game like chess and lose than play a dicey game like backgammon and win. Because when I win in backgammon, I end up saying to myself, "Yeah -- so I got lucky. Big deal." (I know there's skill in backgammon; I've managed to develop a bit of it. But it's still a game with a huge chance element.)

Oddly, the social element of game playing has never been all that important to me. I'm as happy to play by myself on the computer as against another person.
                              --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X