Hope for board gaming yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope for board gaming yet?

I've noticed something. It has always been popular to put board games on computer. But in the board gaming world it is becoming increasingly popular to put computer games on board. World of Warcraft, Doom, Civilization (Eagle Games did a version based on the computer game - which was based on the AH board game ), Starcraft. I even saw a board version of Age of Empires.

My theory would be that computer gaming doesn't provide the level of social interaction that you get from beer, pretzals, and a tabletop. I believe the board games may yet not go the way of the dodo and I am glad.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

When are they gonna make a board version of Grigsby's War in the Pacific then?

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
      When are they gonna make a board version of Grigsby's War in the Pacific then?
      It's called Pacific War and was released by GDW actually You merely missed it several years ago. It's just as hard to play too
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

On the subject of "future" for board gaming, well there have been several good board game wargames released in recent years actually.

The Axis and Allies line has the core game, the Pacific one, the Europe one, the D-Day battle and the Battle of the Bulge titles as well. It isn't the schlock game it was on day one any more.

There is the title Attack (looks like a A&A clone)
        Also there is Memoir 44 and Tide of Iron.
        Europe Engulfed is a good title.

And one only has to go to GMT's page to be swamped by titles.
        Columbia games also does a ton of board games.

Personally I think board gaming is doing ok for wargaming. Nice user friendly designs not buried under a sea of hassle from patches, or AI issues. No endless graphics cards updates too I might add.

You won't get rich making board games for wargames, but, this has never been the case in the first place, and that's just the way it is with wargaming.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
          My theory would be that computer gaming doesn't provide the level of social interaction that you get from beer, pretzals, and a tabletop. I believe the board games may yet not go the way of the dodo and I am glad.
          Then why did they make a Warhammer 40k RTS?

My theory is money, money, money. All the titles you listed are very successful, It would make sense to merchandise them.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
            It's called Pacific War and was released by GDW actually You merely missed it several years ago. It's just as hard to play too
            Pacific War was released in 1986 by Victory games and not GDW, and was by far not as detailed as WitP (but a great game nonetheless)

Comment

Best board game ever:

Reaganomics!

It's like Monopoly with nuclear weapons.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X