Halloween Debriefing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween Debriefing

OK, it's over, guys -- time to get rid of all those Halloween avatars, report your experiences, and start moving on toward Thanksgiving (or whatever comes next in your country).

As usual, my wife and I had debated whether to hand out candy or just turn the lights out and skip all the trick-or-treating nonsense. And the debate ended the same way as it has for the seven years we've been in our house: I bought a bunch of candy, and she said I'd have to be in charge of handing most if it out; she'd participate only if she felt like it.

So, I had to rush my evening workout and juggle answering the door with making and eating supper, then washing dishes (yeah, I end up doing all the chores in my house).

Once I got into it, though, it was fun. I enjoyed seeing all the little kids in their cute or scary costumes. Not having kids of my own, I don't get to interact with them very often, and there were a few sweet moments. (Then again, there were the bigger boys, a couple of whom thought it was funny to recite the "Trick or treat, smell my feet" ditty.) A neighbor boy who's recovering from a broken leg was being pushed around in a wheelchair, and his mom had him dressed up as a mummy.

Sometimes I was shocked by the contrast: I'd be dropping candy into a very cute little girl's bag, admiring her elaborate little fairy costume and thinking I wouldn't mind having a daughter like that -- and then I'd wave at her mom, an overweight, unkempt, middle-aged smoker. Whoa! Do cute little girls really grow up to be like that? What a disappointment.

All in all, it went well -- except for the one time my wife answered the door. She wasn't in the mood, and it showed. She opened the door just a crack (maybe to keep our cats from getting out), counted candy pieces carefully into each bag, then shut the door and went up to bed.

The trick-or-treating ended at a good time; no teenage stragglers coming around late this year. And our candy supply was just about right: had just enough left over to bring in to work this morning and put on the freebie table.

All in all, a successful Halloween at our house. How 'bout yours?
    --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Gave out candy (went well) and watched a Munsters marathon
    "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
    "

Comment

I still don't like Halloween, but seeing the enjoyment that my own kids (ages 3 and 19 months) have makes me happy that they're happy.

We live in a very friendly neighborhood... many people set up tables right on the street, to save everyone the walk up to the front door. One section of the neighborhood had a big spread with candy for kids, and a cold-cut tray with beer and wine for the grownups. They also had music, lights, etc...

With two little kids, my wife and I were both out walking. We got home with about 15 minutes left to go in the "trick or treat" hours, so we got to unload most of the candy we had. (Of course, we now have three big bowls of the candy our kids got.)

I'm glad it's over, but I'm more glad that my kids like it and that we live in a neighborhood that is so friendly and open.
      "I am not an atomic playboy."
      Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

provided sweets and chocos to juveniles in halloween outfits. Watched "Ringu" for a bit of fright. Woke up at 2am (thanks to reaction to Tdap shot! ) and spent ~2h listening to Art Bell interview callers about their ghost encounters (yeah, not George Noory for this special broadcast) on 'Ghost to Ghost with Art Bell.' Any Art Bell fans here?
        All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

Originally posted by Patrocles View Post
          provided sweets and chocos to juveniles in halloween outfits. Watched "Ringu" for a bit of fright. Woke up at 2am (thanks to reaction to Tdap shot! ) and spent ~2h listening to Art Bell interview callers about their ghost encounters (yeah, not George Noory for this special broadcast) on 'Ghost to Ghost with Art Bell.' Any Art Bell fans here?
          yep used to listen to Art when I was driving home from second shift at the plant...now there is no more Art or second shift.....I am now a daylight zombie....I hate day shift and miss Coast to Coast....with George and Art...
          Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
          In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
          Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

Well I had to hand out candy plus I asked if they were allergic to peanuts because I had snickers and Take 5 in the bucket along with the other candy. I also had to make dinner, and put the dishes in the dishwasher. There were some kids who came on skateboards and in no costumes, I didn't want to hand out candy to them but I had to cuz my dad didn't want the house to get egged. So I just asked them what they were for halloween and they said skateboarders. I hate kids who don't come in costume.
            "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Originally posted by No_Nickname View Post
              I hate kids who don't come in costume.
              Me TOO! Why can't they play along? After all, they get candy for the effort.

It should be some form of legal contract. Offer, Acceptance, and Consideration. I offer Candy if you wear a costume. You do then you get the candy. When I become dictator this will be law

Comment

Anybody see Dirty Jobs this week. I thought it was pretty cool how they made Mike Rowe look like a zombie. I was tempted to call the guy up and see if he could fly over to my house and make me look like a zombie. Of course I probably would scare the **** out of all the little kids
                "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

We had a great Halloween. Most of the evening we gave out candy to neighborhood kids. They were so cute my wife started taking photos.

Among our last visitors was two families from church who live around the corner from us, and they invited us to their house for chili, so went there for a few hours. I ate some great deer chili and watched TV with the guys (all ages) while my wife hung out in the kitchen with the females (all ages). It was really a lot of fun.
                  Barcsi JŠnos ispŠn vezťrőrnagy
                  Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                  http://www.mormon.org
                  http://www.sca.org
                  http://www.scv.org/
                  http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

I gave out candy this year, this being the first year my own children didnít go trick or treating because I am getting old, oops , I mean, my kids are older now(the two thoughts go hand in hand). So I set up the pumpkin and turned on the porch light , and awaiting all the cute and scary creatures who were soon to be howling at my front door I began dinner preparations .

I waited a while but no kids came. I soon realized my porch light had burned out shortly after I had turned it on. My porch light is an absolute bugger to change, so I nixed dinner preparations and sat on the front step so that the kids could see me by the light of the pumpkinís orange glow.

Soon I was up to my ears in ghosts, goblins, witches and sorcerers. I enjoyed seeing all the cute children in costume, their faces so bright and happy. It made me nostalgic for my own kidsí past Halloweens. Their little shy voices merely whispering trick-or- treat, but after the candy was dropped into their bags they would very clearly and happily say thank you very much, all shyness forgotten.

My candy didnít last as long as I would have liked but nonetheless the candy was gone and time for me to blow out the pumpkin and sit back and watch the festivities from the side lines.

But seeing me sitting on the front porch, the children continued to come up to the house even though I was barely visible in the dark with no porch light and no lit pumpkin (my house is somewhat secluded)I had some candy that my older children had gotten from a family friend and I ran into the house and grabbed some of that to give to this group of kids. I didnít want to give away all of my kidís candy, after all they were getting none this year for themselves.

So I decided I should go into the house so the trick-or-treaters wouldnít think I was sitting outside on the porch to give out candy. I went into the house and again began to make dinner. I enjoyed the smell of the autumn air filling the kitchen, mixing with the odors of dinner and warm bread. I cooked and listened to all the excitement out side as the kids ran through the neighborhood.

But soon the kids kept coming. I gave more of my kidís candy away. I thought maybe the kids were still coming because I had left the pumpkin on the porch, even though it wasnít lit maybe the kids thought that it was a sign that I was giving away candy, so I brought the pumpkin into the house and set in on the counter.

But still the kids kept coming up to the house; I gave away some nickels and a couple of bags of microwave popcorn. Maybe they kept coming because my front door was still open. I had left it open because I wanted to enjoy the sounds of the childrenís excitement even if I could no longer sit outside. So I had to close the front door shutting out the fresh autumn air and the childrenís laughter. I became slightly melancholy because I wanted to hear, if not see, the fun of all hollows eve.

But even with no light, no pumpkin and the front door closed, the kids still kept coming. Maybe it was because my kitchen light was on and the way it shone through the sidelight by the front door the kids may have thought it was the light in my front foyer and a signal that I was giving out candy. I scrambled to the front door with a couple of those lunch sized bags of chips but when I opened the door there were at least fifteen kids standing out there, I ran back in and grabbed up the rest of my kidís candy, what the heck, I can always run and buy them more tomorrow.

Now I was absolutely depleted of candy, and soon would have to give away the silver!!

So again I nixed dinner preparations and turned out the kitchen light.

But unbelievably the kids still came to the door. So I had to tell these next groups that I was all out of candy. I then turned off the lamp in the living room so that they kids would think no one was home. I really hated telling them I had no candy.

So as I sat in the living room totally closed off from all the excitement outside and pretending not to be home, my husband came into the house. He had arrived home and had begun to work on my daughterís car in the driveway. He said he had to come into the house because the kids were coming up to him trick-or-treating even though he was pulled up in the darkest part of the driveway and had his head under the hood of the car. We laughed, the kids were on zombie mode with one track candy minds. For the rest of the evening I still had to continuously tell kids at the door that I had no more candy even though there were no lights on and the house was closed tight. Next year I will defiantly buy more candy!

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post

It should be some form of legal contract. Offer, Acceptance, and Consideration. I offer Candy if you wear a costume. You do then you get the candy. When I become dictator this will be law
                      Really, I would most likely love to deny the un-costumed candy.

However, those are the kids most likely to egg your house and TP your trees.

So they're like some underage Holiday form of the mob, and your candy is the protection money.

"Those are some nice pumpkins. Be a shame if something were to happen to them."

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post

That and the kids who are able to drive.

I think there should be an age limit on when you have to stop trick or treating -- around 12 or so is old enough*...I don't some goober old enough to have his own kids coming to my house for free candy.

*Waivers should be available -- for example, everyone should be able to do it once, even if they didn't go trick or treating before they turned 16.
                        Barcsi JŠnos ispŠn vezťrőrnagy
                        Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                        http://www.mormon.org
                        http://www.sca.org
                        http://www.scv.org/
                        http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

My church had a Halloween party, complete with the usual hayrides and apple bobbing. A lot of the girls were cheerleaders and a lot of the boys were Power Rangers. I pointed out to one of the little fellows that Power Rangers was older than he was, the original rangers probably have kids of their own older than him!

I'm surprised the show is still going given (at least when I was watching it) it's total lack of originality:

Opening sequence.
                          Rita makes monster.
                          Putty patrol attacks.
                          Power rangers "morph" and apply Kung Fu.
                          Monster appears and beats crap out of Rangers.
                          Rita makes monster grow.
                          Rangers summon "zords", form Megazord that looks copyright infringingly similar to Optimus Prime, get into 10 story urban streetfight that in real life would have caused mass casualties and billions of dollars in property damage, kill creature.
                          Show ends with public service announcement on how violence is not the answer to life's problems.

All episodes follow this model.
                          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
                            I'm surprised the show is still going given (at least when I was watching it) it's total lack of originality:

Opening sequence.
                            Rita makes monster.
                            Putty patrol attacks.
                            Power rangers "morph" and apply Kung Fu.
                            Monster appears and beats crap out of Rangers.
                            Rita makes monster grow.
                            Rangers summon "zords", form Megazord that looks copyright infringingly similar to Optimus Prime, get into 10 story urban streetfight that in real life would have caused mass casualties and billions of dollars in property damage, kill creature.
                            Show ends with public service announcement on how violence is not the answer to life's problems.

All episodes follow this model.
                            Yep, you about nailed it there.

Rangers beat putties, monster beats rangers, rangers beat monster, monster gets bigger, rangers beat monster, credits.

But isn't the PSA more of a G.I. Joe kinda thing?

Cooooobraaaaaa!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X