Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A challenger sought to test my board game Guru status.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A challenger sought to test my board game Guru status.

I have dealt in board games for so long and been exposed to so many titles that I wondered if I couldn't name a board game for any topic imaginable. A friend of mine said jokingly that he bet I couldn't find a board game about used car dealing and was shocked and amused when I rattled off the Milton Bradley game Dealer's Choice, which deals in such a topic. The next challenge was a board game for hunting or fishing - surely they don't have board games for outdoor physical activity. Again I came through, and provided TWO titles this time, both from Avalon Hill. I brought up Yellowstone, a game of animal migration which could be modified into a hunting game with a little creativity and, for a more Cabela's danger oriented game, Outdoor Survival - which even has a hunting scenario IIRC.

But lest I "toot my own horn" I thought I would make a challenge before I officially declare myself a board game guru. Whoever wants to is welcome to post as obscure a topic as they can think of and I'll see if I know or can find a board game for it.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
    I have dealt in board games for so long and been exposed to so many titles that I wondered if I couldn't name a board game for any topic imaginable. A friend of mine said jokingly that he bet I couldn't find a board game about used car dealing and was shocked and amused when I rattled off the Milton Bradley game Dealer's Choice, which deals in such a topic. The next challenge was a board game for hunting or fishing - surely they don't have board games for outdoor physical activity. Again I came through, and provided TWO titles this time, both from Avalon Hill. I brought up Yellowstone, a game of animal migration which could be modified into a hunting game with a little creativity and, for a more Cabela's danger oriented game, Outdoor Survival - which even has a hunting scenario IIRC.

But lest I "toot my own horn" I thought I would make a challenge before I officially declare myself a board game guru. Whoever wants to is welcome to post as obscure a topic as they can think of and I'll see if I know or can find a board game for it.
    Rat Poison

Comment

Originally posted by medivac View Post
      Rat Poison
      What, specifically, about Rat Poison? If it's rodent killing you're looking for then there is the tried and true children's game Mouse Trap.

Keep 'em coming!
      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Kinda quiet in here. I cast down the gauntlet again!

Comment

What about a game featuring a raid against a nazi heavy water plant during WWII?
          Echo de menos mi isla.

Comment

Hmm...the more specific standards are difficult. A board game specifically about raiding a heavy water plant. I presume you are referring to actions by Norwegian saboteurs and not a British commando raid. I am not sure such a board game is in existence however I can reccomend Avalon Hill's Squad Leader as the best tool for recreating such a scenario. Also if you are looking for good commando action Raid on St. Nazairre is an excellent board game also by Avalon Hill.

Comment

Hemorrhoids.
              "I am not an atomic playboy."
              Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Hmm...the more specific standards are difficult. A board game specifically about raiding a heavy water plant. I presume you are referring to actions by Norwegian saboteurs and not a British commando raid. I am not sure such a board game is in existence however I can reccomend Avalon Hill's Squad Leader as the best tool for recreating such a scenario. Also if you are looking for good commando action Raid on St. Nazairre is an excellent board game also by Avalon Hill.
                Well, to be honest, it was a trap question. I knew the answer already
                Check THIS LINK for the answer
                I played this game, along with others from the same company, when I was 10 years old or so.

This is a genuine question now: What about a game featuring modern merchant ships? (Do you remember Port of Call, the computer game for Amiga 500?) I wonder if there is something similar as a board game.
                Echo de menos mi isla.

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
                  Hemorrhoids.
                  Mwahahahaha! Avalon Hill (can you tell my specialty or what?) produced the board game Intern, which simulates very abstractly a first year intern's hospital experience. In the game you must diagnose patients and perscribe treatments. I think hemorrhoids is in one of the diagnoses.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheo View Post
                    Well, to be honest, it was a trap question. I knew the answer already
                    Check THIS LINK for the answer
                    I played this game, along with others from the same company, when I was 10 years old or so.

This is a genuine question now: What about a game featuring modern merchant ships? (Do you remember Port of Call, the computer game for Amiga 500?) I wonder if there is something similar as a board game.
                    Curses, foiled again! Well played Cheo.

I like commando raids. How difficult is that board game to get ahold of?

Comment

Mwahahahaha! Avalon Hill (can you tell my specialty or what?) produced the board game Intern, which simulates very abstractly a first year intern's hospital experience. In the game you must diagnose patients and perscribe treatments. I think hemorrhoids is in one of the diagnoses.
                      Heh. Wouldn't be out of line, considering this photo of some of the game equipment:

"I am not an atomic playboy."
                      Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Curses, foiled again! Well played Cheo.

I like commando raids. How difficult is that board game to get ahold of?
                        Well, the company dissapeared a long time ago. I think it is possible to download the counters, the board and the instructions from the internet, but I'm not sure. I'll do some research and I'll keep you up to date.
                        Echo de menos mi isla.

Comment

Potato Farming ?
                          " Reality is interpretation according to a scheme which we cannot escape "

Comment

Originally posted by Lokinar View Post
                            Potato Farming ?
                            Give me some time to look!

In the mean time, how's about some farming in general gaming. I reccomend Pit, which involves farming Corn, Flax, Wheat, Barley, and other crops.

Comment

Moth balls

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X