Slightly disturbing Christmas toy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly disturbing Christmas toy...

I just saw an advert for a doll called "Mummy make me better". Basically it's a doll which cries, because it's upset.

It's upset because it's not feeling very well.

It's not feeling very well because it's covered in little bruises.

It also has red cheeks and it cries, a lot.

The application of fake plasters (erm, I guess they are known as Band-Aids in the US?) make the bruises disappear. The plasters are actually made of material which you soak in warm water - the warmth makes the "bruise" vanish, temporarily at least. The really SICK thing about this is that the "bruises" are heart-shaped. Awwwww...

I find this disturbing on several levels.

Firstly, what kind of weirdo gets a kick out of permanently attending to a wounded baby? I'll tell you who, the sort of person who has Münchhausen's Syndrome by Proxy and who goes around injuring their offspring so they can get sympathy from everyone else.

How long before the little girls caring for their dollies get bored and decided that their little brother needs a good kicking so they can "make him better"?

Secondly, this doll is, essentially, permanently injured - talk about a case of virtual child abuse, what the hell? I mean, really, would you be happy taking your child out to a family do with this doll in tow? How long before Grandma begins to wonder if the injured doll isn't some kind of cry for help from the child because this is what happens at home. It's asking for trouble!

Thirdly - heart-shaped bruises? What's that all about? "I'm sorry I have to hurt you little baby, but I'll make your scar heart-shaped so it will show that I love you really..." Our children will grow up associating pain with love - the next generation will be full of sadistic psychopaths inflicting pain on those they love, because their dollies told them to...

Yes, I've kind of gone off on one here, but I am making a serious point as well - I think this toy is just WEIRD.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

That is just not right . . .

Isn't there some watch-dog group you can complain to?
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Back up the Horses at the factory, this is just wrong. Bad, bad, bad
      You wouldn't know who is making this junk?
      Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Well... if this is the same one, it actually doesn't sound so bad:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MGDM4S

The Zapf Creation Mommy, Make Me Better doll will start crying when something is wrong, and it's up to you to help her get well again. When baby Chou Chou's kissable cheeks turn pink--or even bright red--use the thermometer to see if she's running a fever. If she is, giving her medicine with the included spoon will help the fever (and the color in her cheeks) go down.

When she gets a boo-boo from an over enthusiastic pet or during one of life's daily lessons, placing a bandage over it should make it better--especially if it's kissed first like grownup moms do it. Listen to Chou Chou's heartbeat with the heart-shaped stethoscope, give her a pacifier to quiet her down, or press her tummy to hear her giggle.

Chou Chou is dressed in a white and yellow outfit with a matching yellow cap and also comes with a small stuffed animal of her own to hold. While some doctors might claim two aspirin, we think a heaping dose of TLC is just the thing. Plus, this doll is prepared to give back as much as she gets.
        Kind of like the dolls that cry because they're "hungry" or need to have their pants changed, or whatever. I think it's designed to mimic what an older sibling might see mommy/daddy doing with a baby. Our own three year old has his stuffed animals who "don't feel good" every so often, and he takes care of them.

But, I mean, we wouldn't buy him a doll.

I mean, come on. That's for girls.

I just assume he's preparing for a career as a paramedic, doctor, or MOS 18D (Special Forces Medical Sergeant).

"I am not an atomic playboy."
        Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Yes, Zapf Creations.

Edit - yeah, that's the one - I still think it's odd...but I'm not a little girl, so what do I know...

Dr. S.
          Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
            I just assume he's preparing for a career as a paramedic, doctor, or MOS 18D (Special Forces Medical Sergeant).
            Considering the reputation of SF medics he should start training now. 18D is the toughest of any of the specialties.
            If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Me and our kid used to nick my sister's dolls, take them in the woods and shoot 'em in the melon with our pellet guns.... we grew up perfectly abnormal!
              The long toll of the brave
              Is not lost in darkness
              Over the fruitful earth
              And athwart the seas
              Hath passed the light of noble deeds
              Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                Me and our kid used to nick my sister's dolls, take them in the woods and shoot 'em in the melon with our pellet guns.... we grew up perfectly abnormal!
                Me and my brother would have airsoft gun fights. In the house. Without eye protection.

Dad wasn't too pleased with that.

With no girls around to torture, they turned on each other.

Comment

I accidentally shot my sister in the eye with one of those NERF bullets. Parents weren't too pleased and I got grounded for two weeks.
                  "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

I rode a bike without a helmet for years.

I predict the "Baby Abused" doll will die a quite death along with hundreds of other dumb and lame toy ideas that come out for Xmax.
                    Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                    Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                    David Bowie

Comment

In MY house...

Originally posted by daemonofdecay View Post
                      Me and my brother would have airsoft gun fights. In the house. Without eye protection.

Dad wasn't too pleased with that.

With no girls around to torture, they turned on each other.
                      DoD,

In my house it was actually safer to torture my little brother because my big sister was evil and could kick my "posterior" until I entered my teen years. Count your blessings that you had no sisters...

My Brother still brags to his wife about some of the stunts he pulled on me growing up. When I heard about these when I visited I just told her to ask him if I knew where he went to sleep every night? Little brother found out paybacks were a mother...

Pruitt
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by PzKfwBob View Post

I predict the "Baby Abused" doll will die a quite death along with hundreds of other dumb and lame toy ideas that come out for Xmax.
                        We all said the same thing about "Tickle me Elmo" dolls too....

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
                          I just saw an advert for a doll called "Mummy make me better". Basically it's a doll which cries, because it's upset.

It's upset because it's not feeling very well.

It's not feeling very well because it's covered in little bruises.
                          That just ain't right. I don't like the idea of this toy at all. What's next, a doll that cries until you slap it around some?
                          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                          http://www.mormon.org
                          http://www.sca.org
                          http://www.scv.org/
                          http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Whats next? Domestic Abuse Barbie? Includes free Ken doll with realistic belt whipping action!

Comment

Originally posted by the_redstar_swl View Post
                              Whats next? Domestic Abuse Barbie? Includes free Ken doll with realistic belt whipping action!
                              don;t you know that's part of there white trash barbie seris with sleep around Gem
                              "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
                              "

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X