Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something to consider over the next 3 months...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Something to consider over the next 3 months...

    OLD VERSION: The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long,
    building his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper
    thinks he's a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come
    winter, the ant is warm and well fed. The grasshopper has no food or shelter
    so he dies out in the cold.





    MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!

    -------------------------------



    21st CENTURY VERSION: The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer
    long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The
    grasshopper thinks he's a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer
    away. Come winter, the shivering grass-hopper calls a press conference and
    demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while
    others are cold and starving. CBS, CNN, NBC, and ABC show up to provide
    pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his
    comfortable home with a table filled with food. America is stunned by the
    sharp contrast. How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor
    grasshopper is allowed to suffer so? Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with
    the grasshopper and everybody cries when they sing "It's Not Easy Being
    Green." Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house
    where the news stations film the group singing "We shall overcome." Jesse
    then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake.
    Michael Moore makes a pseudo documentary of how the ant knew what would
    happen to the grasshopper, and that the ant conspired with the Jet Stream to
    make the winter colder than it should have been, just so the grasshopper
    would suffer more. And everyone believed it was so, because it was a
    "documentary". Moore gets an award and $25 million. John Kerry, Ted
    Kennedy, Tom Daschle, Dick Gephardt, Hillary Clinton and Howard Dean stage
    an interview with Peter Jennings claiming that the ant has gotten rich off
    the back of the grasshopper, and call for an immediate tax hike on the ant
    to make him pay his "fair share." Hillary's husband has sex with the
    grasshopper, but claims it wasn't really sex, because it was with another
    species. Ted Kennedy gets drunk, and drives off a bridge with a ladybug in
    his car. The ladybug is never seen again. Finally, the EEOC drafts the
    "Economic Equity and Anti-Grasshopper Act," retroactive to the beginning of
    the summer. The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of
    green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home
    is confiscated by the government. Hillary Clinton gets her old law firm to
    represent the grasshopper in a defamation suit against the ant, and the case
    is tried before a panel of Federal judges that Bill Clinton appointed from a
    list of single-parent welfare recipients.



    The ant loses the case.



    As the story ends, as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of
    the ant's food while the government house he is in, which just happens to be
    the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it.
    The ant has disappeared in the snow. Later, the grasshopper is found dead in
    a drug-related incident and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a
    gang of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.



    Moral of the Story - Vote Republican

  • #2
    Have you ever read anything on the root causes of povety in western society Pangracs? I just don't buy the lazy v the hardest worker bit. A **** load more to it than that.
    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

    Comment


    • #3
      Hello,

      Don't vote Republican, vote US Constitution Party!

      Sadly, I think in the next 20 years, the liberals will be victorious and could very well force all Americans to accept a new kind of America, a socialist version. Eventually, conservatives or people who want to have less government will lose out badly. I fear it will cost everything we've held dear to our hearts, and our Founding Fathers have already rolled over in their graves. It's sad, really...

      I don't think there's any hope for America at all. Bush isn't going to change this, he isn't going to win the ultimate political war between the socialists (also liberals) and conservatives. We have just won a battle, but it's only a battle, the political war is ongoing and will be ultimately decided in distant future.

      I don't think America will facing a second civil war this time around. I don't think some states will break away from the Union. I don't think people will be fighting each other. Once is enough. No, I think the changes will be slow and creeping into our society without us knowing about them at all. More and more people will be generally receptive to socialist or liberal ideas, because they play on their emotions. It's because we are no longer holding ourselves to higher moral standards.

      Indeed, I think liberals will be dancing in street, because they're going to get what they want in the next 20 to 50 years. Mark my words, America is going down hard, and it's not going to be a pretty sight at all.

      By the very nature, I am generally pessimistic, although there's a couple of moments, that I was very optimistic about our future. But that's just me.

      I'm sure liberals here in this fine forum will interpret this as nothing, but a rant from a religious fanatic, whatever that means. I don't think they will ever understand what I am trying to say.

      Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

      "Aim small, miss small."

      Comment


      • #4
        Just let us know when you start building the autobahns.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Cheetah772
          I'm sure liberals here in this fine forum will interpret this as nothing, but a rant from a religious fanatic, whatever that means. I don't think they will ever understand what I am trying to say.
          LoL Dan, I won't say that this is the first time we agree on something, but it's mighty close...

          Just remember the famous last words of Police Detective Thorn (Charleton Heston)...

          Soon they'll be breeding us like cattle! You've got to warn everyone and tell them! Soylent green is made of people!
          I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CPangracs
            OLD VERSION: The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long,
            building his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper
            thinks he's a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come
            winter, the ant is warm and well fed. The grasshopper has no food or shelter
            so he dies out in the cold.





            MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!
            Actually, the moral was prepare today for the needs of tomorrow, which would place your moral theory of the story closer to the grasshopper than the ant. The ant was only concerned with his immediate feelings. He didn't think about the long term consequences of his laziness.

            Originally posted by CPangracs
            21st CENTURY VERSION: The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer
            long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The
            grasshopper thinks he's a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer
            away. Come winter, the shivering grass-hopper calls a press conference and
            demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while
            others are cold and starving. CBS, CNN, NBC, and ABC show up to provide
            pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his
            comfortable home with a table filled with food. America is stunned by the
            sharp contrast. How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor
            grasshopper is allowed to suffer so? Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with
            the grasshopper and everybody cries when they sing "It's Not Easy Being
            Green." Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house
            where the news stations film the group singing "We shall overcome." Jesse
            then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake.
            Michael Moore makes a pseudo documentary of how the ant knew what would
            happen to the grasshopper, and that the ant conspired with the Jet Stream to
            make the winter colder than it should have been, just so the grasshopper
            would suffer more. And everyone believed it was so, because it was a
            "documentary". Moore gets an award and $25 million. John Kerry, Ted
            Kennedy, Tom Daschle, Dick Gephardt, Hillary Clinton and Howard Dean stage
            an interview with Peter Jennings claiming that the ant has gotten rich off
            the back of the grasshopper, and call for an immediate tax hike on the ant
            to make him pay his "fair share." Hillary's husband has sex with the
            grasshopper, but claims it wasn't really sex, because it was with another
            species. Ted Kennedy gets drunk, and drives off a bridge with a ladybug in
            his car. The ladybug is never seen again. Finally, the EEOC drafts the
            "Economic Equity and Anti-Grasshopper Act," retroactive to the beginning of
            the summer. The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of
            green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home
            is confiscated by the government. Hillary Clinton gets her old law firm to
            represent the grasshopper in a defamation suit against the ant, and the case
            is tried before a panel of Federal judges that Bill Clinton appointed from a
            list of single-parent welfare recipients.



            The ant loses the case.



            As the story ends, as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of
            the ant's food while the government house he is in, which just happens to be
            the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it.
            The ant has disappeared in the snow. Later, the grasshopper is found dead in
            a drug-related incident and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a
            gang of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.



            Moral of the Story - Vote Republican
            Actually, I don't think the author of this article had a moral fiber in his body. The author is a typical whiner who leaves solving the nation's social problems to others, while conveniently offering sideline criticism.

            I'm proud to say I am 100x better than this author. He talks about change. I make it happen.

            I want to add Curt that I am not targeting you or Republicans. I've seen this little story floating about, and it does nothing more than invoke my anger.
            "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

            Comment


            • #7
              Bit of an overeaction is it not Dan, was there so much doom and gloom for 8 years under Clinton?
              Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

              Comment


              • #8
                Off Topic a little:

                Warner Brothers had this cartoon back in WWII. Their version of the Ant and Grasshopper had the ant working while the grasshopper sat about asleep. The ant stops his work to chastise the grasshopper, warning him he would not be ready for winter. The grasshopper then reached in his jacket and pulled out War Bonds!

                I guess the moral there was it was okay to be lazy as long as the government benefited.
                "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well there is a kernel of truth in this tale OK.

                  As a full time worker who pays my taxes and a householder I get *issed off with people who are not Irish Citizens coming here and getting everything for free.

                  However I too believe in Socialism and Liberalism. But not in a Society that rewards feckless layabouts either.

                  Its about striking a balance, co operation, respect for each other. You put in your fair share, you get your fair share back.

                  Socialism to me is about sharing your Nation with other citizens combined with a Society that is geared towards promoting Social responsibality from all sectors of that Society.

                  Socialism to me is about opposing Racial and Social discrimination and rewards those who are talented and hard working as well.

                  Liberalism to me is having the right to live your life as you wish providing you are not hurting or exploiting other people.

                  Liberalism is a Society whereby you do not have the right to ram your religous or political values down anyones throat.

                  Now how you go about creating the perfect Society....that's another story!
                  http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Cheetah772
                    the liberals will be victorious and could very well force all Americans to accept a new kind of America, a socialist version.
                    What's with this overwhelming fear of liberals? Why do you think liberals are socialists?

                    Nat

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CPangracs
                      Moral of the Story - Vote Republican
                      So that the can take all of the ants product and give it too someone else? Both the Republicans and Democrats are increasing the size of government, I fail to see the difference between the two anymore. Because actions speak louder then words, and I don't see either side promoting individual or financial responsibility.

                      The real moral of the story is if you ever herar the words "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help" pack your **** and run like hell.
                      "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cheetah772
                        Indeed, I think liberals will be dancing in street, because they're going to get what they want in the next 20 to 50 years. Mark my words, America is going down hard, and it's not going to be a pretty sight at all.

                        By the very nature, I am generally pessimistic, although there's a couple of moments, that I was very optimistic about our future. But that's just me.

                        I'm sure liberals here in this fine forum will interpret this as nothing, but a rant from a religious fanatic, whatever that means. I don't think they will ever understand what I am trying to say.

                        Dan,


                        No empire last for ever; change, whether good or bad, is a natural progression.
                        "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It's telling that a STORY meant to be LIGHTHEARTED is taken to the NTH DEGREE by some people who need to find a FUNNY BONE.

                          me vewwy sad.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Cpangracs
                            It's telling that a STORY meant to be LIGHTHEARTED is taken to the NTH DEGREE by some people who need to find a FUNNY BONE.
                            Your title suits you quite well.

                            Nat

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I find it fascinating that most of the "ant and grasshopper" conservative philosophy seems to be based mostly on ignorance of where Federal money is really spent.

                              Social welfare programs account for a very small proportion of national spending. AFDC, for example, is less than 1% of the federal budget and, on average, no more than 2% of each state's. In fact, so-called "corporate welfare" in the form of bailouts, export promotions, loan guarantees, debt forgiveness, below cost sales, interest free financing, and so forth, easily outspends aid to individuals by a factor of 10 or more, depending on how you count it. Yet conservatives seem to be generally in favor of such spending.

                              More than 80% of Federal spending falls into five categories: Social Security, Medicare, Civilian & Military pensions, Defense, Interest on the debt. Our "convervative" president has proposed and enacted substantial increases in *all* of these categories. In fact, we are now to the point where we could shut down *every last discretionary function* performed by the Federal government --- all the departments, all the agencies, all the courts, no postal service, paperclips, everything except the top five --- and *still* not close the federal deficit.

                              If conservatives are serious about reducing Federal spending in a meaningful way, they have to talk about things that will make a difference. They need to talk about ending SS/Medicare as we know it. They need to talk about slashing military spending. They might even need to talk about reneging on pensions and debt interest. Without at least some of those things being done, no amount of tinkering around the edges of the discretionary budget will result in any useful results. Cutting off food stamps and welfare to America's poorest, mostly white single mothers, will do nearly nothing towards balancing the budget, but it will greatly increase the misery index in the world's richest nation.

                              --- Kevin

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X