Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Deer!

Added to my list of things to do.
    Apparently this doe was garbage picking when a ziplock seal minus the bag became stuck around her neck. Not a good thing because if it gets entangled in dead fall in the forest it could either strangle her or trap her until she starves to death.

This doe is one of our regulars and comes by each day. Using dog biscuits I have been able to coax her close enough to take the biscuit, but not yet enough to hook a finger around the ziplock. Been trying for a week now.

Hopefully soon.

Attached Files
    ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
    ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

You'd better be careful buddy. That Doe could rear up and swat at you with her hooves if you startle her. Those things are as sharp as knives. I know people who have been hurt by deer. Be very careful, good luck.
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Originally posted by KGPanzerschrecK View Post
      You'd better be careful buddy. That Doe could rear up and swat at you with her hooves if you startle her. Those things are as sharp as knives. I know people who have been hurt by deer. Be very careful, good luck.
      Well aware, I've watched them beat the hell out of each other. But this is one that comes by daily and grew up around us. I'm banking that if I can hook it she will lower her head and pull back, and it should slip right off.

We had one around here a few years back that had a plastic flower pot minus the bottom stuck around it's neck. Neighbor got it off the same way.
      ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Good luck and don't get injured
        "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

We've got a bumper crop of venison in these regions because of the mild winter last year. I've seen two fat, corn-fed does with twin fawns less than a mile from the house and I'm hoping to take down at least two of them this hunting season.
          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
            We've got a bumper crop of venison in these regions because of the mild winter last year. I've seen two fat, corn-fed does with twin fawns less than a mile from the house and I'm hoping to take down at least two of them this hunting season.
            I'll tell you John, I'd rather see this one fall to a hunter than starve due to getting snagged, but there's hunting in these parts. Most of our deer are more like dogs than wildlife.

Few years back Heidi and I raised a fawn on goats milk that we found one spring under the deck with a broken leg. Named her Jane (Jane Doe) and she would spend nights in the woods and days hanging around the house. If I was working in the garage she would come in a lay down in a corner.
            ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Originally posted by cyberia View Post
              I'll tell you John, I'd rather see this one fall to a hunter than starve due to getting snagged, but there's hunting in these parts. Most of our deer are more like dogs than wildlife.

Few years back Heidi and I raised a fawn on goats milk that we found one spring under the deck with a broken leg. Named her Jane (Jane Doe) and she would spend nights in the woods and days hanging around the house. If I was working in the garage she would come in a lay down in a corner.
              I hear you on the dog/deer thing. That is how they are in NC when I was a kid anyway, climate has a bit to do with it as well.

The fawn story is cool. You have an pictures? Those would be awesome.

H
              As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
              Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by dhuffjr View Post
                I hear you on the dog/deer thing. That is how they are in NC when I was a kid anyway, climate has a bit to do with it as well.

The fawn story is cool. You have an pictures? Those would be awesome.

H
                I have some great shots. Problem is all the photo albums are in a box, in a closet, blocked by stacks of other boxes due to the home remodel. In a few weeks I should be able to get to them and post them.

Did your deer come running when called as well?
                ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Originally posted by cyberia View Post
                  Did your deer come running when called as well?
                  Don't know I've never used a deer call

I've always wanted to get one of those squirrel calls.......see if I can drive them or my dog nuts
                  As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                  Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Excellent stuff!
                    Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                    Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                    David Bowie

Comment

Originally posted by dhuffjr View Post
                      Don't know I've never used a deer call

I've always wanted to get one of those squirrel calls.......see if I can drive them or my dog nuts
                      Our deer were used to us feeding them day old bread, potato peels and such and associated the sound of our voice with food. Friends would come up from New York to visit and to goof on them I would tell them our deer where trained. Then I would go out on the deck and yell "Yo, deer!"

Of course they would all come running out of the woods and right up to the deck. Loved it!
                      ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Pleaase keep us posted on the progress of this deer.

Comment

Boy Cyberia, the way you talk about your pet Deer you give me quite the guilt trip when i think about the 35 or 40 ive killed over the years.

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Boy Cyberia, the way you talk about your pet Deer you give me quite the guilt trip when i think about the 35 or 40 ive killed over the years.
                            There's a difference between totally wild deer and the one that would visit me in the garage. It's also important that the herds be kept down otherwise they all would stave.

But next time I see the "gang" I'll pass along your remorse!
                            ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Ive often felt the pang of guilt over the years when ive gone hunting. But i knew my family needed the meat. Thats the irony i always had to face. Ive always loved animals and have been a champion for them, but at the same time ive always had to go hunting/fishing to suppliment for my families needs. Duality of man i guess, lol.

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X