Autumn in My Part of The World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autumn in My Part of The World

Its here a little later than normal, but fall has arrived in the Poconos.

Temps in the low 50s., nights are frosting a bit and the leaves have just about peeked. With every breeze acorns tap onto the roof and roll off.

The bear are bulking up for winter, the white tail deer are in rut and wild turkeys are taking advantage of the piles of acorns. Every so often a formation of Canada Geese fly over head honking their way south. Out on the lakes the loons call out a farewell.

In my community the crews are busy putting out sand barrels on all the hills, pulling the boat slips off the lakes and getting ready for the snows.

My fall chore list includes bringing in the fragile glassware from the gardens. Pull in and roll up all the hoses and turn off and drain spigots. Then wage war on the leaves.
    ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
    ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Same over on this side. I thought Fall had given us the slip and we were going straight into Winter but it turned milder this week. I doubt I'll get my trim painted now with lower temps and I still need to finish the rock landscaping in the yard. My trees had their first big 'dump' this week so the war on leaves has already started.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Here's the leaves long time gone and temperatures around 0 degrees celsius (32 degrees fahrenheit), quite windy and a lot of moisture in the chilly air but the ground haven't frozen yet and the snow just came n' went three weeks ago and there's no telling when it will arrive to stay. Brrr.
      The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
      ----
      We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

We are peaking late too, here on the Flatlands. About 2 weeks late, but it wasn't to long ago...it was in the 90's. We had a killing frost last night and another fore-casted for tonight. And the Fall rains have started in earnest.
        Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
        In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
        Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

Originally posted by panzermacher View Post
          We are peaking late too, here on the Flatlands. About 2 weeks late, but it wasn't to long ago...it was in the 90's. We had a killing frost last night and another fore-casted for tonight. And the Fall rains have started in earnest.
          Ditto here too! I had to scrape the frost off the windshield this morning before leaving for Mass.
          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

its gettign cold here! FINALLY! LET THE COLD BCOME COLD NOW!!!
            I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the leaves changing back in Virginia (it may have started while I was here in California -- it's certainly time). I love driving through the Piedmont area of VA and MD this time of year. My wife has never seen it, so I'll take her for a drive one day while the kids are in school (I don't have any free weekends until T-day, but I have earned a few days off work).
              Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
              Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
              http://www.mormon.org
              http://www.sca.org
              http://www.scv.org/
              http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

It's been very dry this year [12 - 16" below normal rainfall] and that has hurt the fall colors quite a bit. First frost could be tonight.
                Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X