No announcement yet.

When Do You Put Up Holiday Decorations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Do You Put Up Holiday Decorations?

I have a running battle with the wife over when to put up Christmas decorations. I was brought up that they didn't go up until at least after Dec. 1 or at least until Thanksgiving is over. About a month before the day actually gets here. Later than that if we are using a real Christmas tree.

My wife on the other hand wants to put them up before Thanksgiving which to me seems rather early. Thanksgiving, I tell her, is not part of the December holidays but stands on its own. Last year we compromised and put them up the day after Thanksgiving. Too soon for me and too late for her.

What do you guys think? When do you put yours up? Do you put up any at all? And how long after Christmas do you wait to take them down?
    Before Thanksgiving. Why wait?
    8.33%
    After Thanksgiving. Let Thanksgiving be it's own seperate thing.
    66.67%
    We don't put up Christmas decorations or any other decorations.
    25.00%
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

If you lived in my neighborhood you would realize alot of people don't take them down. They just turn them on during the winter. I have seen some people turn them on for the 4th of July. Yes, I live amongst a bunch of hicks.

Me? I don't put any up. I have better things to do with my money.

Comment

We do an artificial tree and often it goes up Thanksgiving weekend. Lights around that time too. I've put them up once on a really nice warm day before Thanksgiving. Its a lot nicer pulling lights down when it is 30 degrees than putting them up.
      As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
      Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

I don't use any.

Comment

When I was a kid, my dad refused to put up the Christmas decorations until after my birthday (Dec. 12).

As an adult, I resist putting them up until mid-December. And then we don't put a lot of decorations up. I don't do outside lights and I will never do the inflatable Santa/Jesus/Frosty bit.

One of our neighbors had a life-sized Nativity scene with an inflatable Frosty the Snowman standing next too the Manger...

Although, I’m not above deploying a squad of 1/35 scale paratroopers to defend the Manger on the fireplace mantle……My wife doesn’t approve and she winds up with a battalion of POW’s by the time New Years rolls in…
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

My Halloween decorations are up now

I always set up a graveyard in the front yard. Every year I try to improve on the cemetery. The Halloween party is Oh So important!! I cook food from Transylvania No costume, no admittance.

I only give out real candy bars that I would have wanted to receive as a kid. This can get expensive but makes for good leftovers

As far as Christmas goes, I have a very specific schedule for this. Tradition is very important to me! I have borroed them from around the world.

The tree and decorations go up on the Feast of St. Nicholas. December 6th. This also is they day to put out the Dutch shoes filled with candy for your loved ones. Usually I try to have a dinner party on this day. We eat traditional foods and drink "Gluwein" and then everyone helps decorate the tree.

On Christmas eve I do the French tradition. I make a "Yule Log". At Midnight, or around there (Often I go to Church with friends), we eat the cake and open one gift.

The decorations stay up until the Epiphany, the 12th day of Christmas. When Christmas is supposed to end, not New years like most Americans seem to think. For a country with a Christian tradition, most Americans don't seem to realize this.

At this point we move into Mardi Gras Season and Tet
            Last edited by Miss Saigon; 24 Oct 07, 09:25.

Comment

We don't do the inflatable stuff either. A few lights on the outside along with some wreaths. Inside however, is a different story. The wife goes all out. And in her defense, she puts up alot of decorations and it does look good. Wreaths, angels, reindeer, Santas, elves, lights, a manger scene that stands alone(nothing non-Christian goes next to it), tablecloths and many other things that make it a real pleasure to see. However, and again, I don't think it should go up before Thanksgiving. But I do like the look of the house when she's done.

The decorations come down usually either the day after New Year's or the following weekend. And I must admit, I am sorry to see them come down.
              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                ...The tree and decorations go up on the Feast of St. Nicholas. December 6th. This also is they day to put out the Dutch shoes filled with candy for your loved ones. Usually I try to have a dinner party on this day. We eat traditional foods and drink "Gluwein" and then everyone helps decorate the tree.

On Christmas eve I do the French tradition. I make a "Yule Log". At Midnight, or around there (Often I go to Church with friends), we eat the cake and open one gift.

The decorations stay up until the Epiphany, the 12th day of Christmas. When Christmas is supposed to end, not New years like most Americans seem to think. For a country with a Christian tradition, most Americans don't seem to realize this.

At this point we move into Mardi Gras Season and Tet
                My wife's from Mexico...They do the same thing down there...celebrate Christmas until the Epiphany...

Every family puts out huge manger scenes...One of her Uncles' crèches filled half their living room...I seem to recall they included Dickens' characters in the scene.
                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
                  We don't do the inflatable stuff either. A few lights on the outside along with some wreaths. Inside however, is a different story. The wife goes all out. And in her defense, she puts up alot of decorations and it does look good. Wreaths, angels, reindeer, Santas, elves, lights, a manger scene that stands alone(nothing non-Christian goes next to it), tablecloths and many other things that make it a real pleasure to see. However, and again, I don't think it should go up before Thanksgiving. But I do like the look of the house when she's done.

The decorations come down usually either the day after New Year's or the following weekend. And I must admit, I am sorry to see them come down.
                  My wife does a very elaborate tree as well...She doesn't let me help though......I just get to carry boxes and the ladder.

We have one tradition that we do every Christmas season - We go see The Nutcracker...Usually by the Houston Ballet; last year went to the Fort Worth Ballet.

But for me...It's not Christmas-time until I've seen A Charlie Brown Christmas. I have watched it every Christmas since it first came out ~1964. I still tear up at the end.

Comment

Inflatable anything in the yard is a no no. Although when we sent Xmas to the troops in Iraq I sent a bunch of those things. Big and tacky seemed more appropriate in that situation. I have been told that the Helicopter Pilots used the Giant Snow man to sight the Airfield at night

I am into every elegant decorations for Christmas. Some very expensive. I buy one or two new ones a year and build my collection. The glass balls come from Poland and are exquisite. Who knew the Poles are known for this? I also have a lot of crystal tree ornaments. Obviously I don't have kids or cats.

Comment

The outside lights and decorations go up after Thanksgiving, but are not turned on until December 1st. The large Colorado spruce out front gets the full treatment. There are a menagerie of lighted and animated figures placed about the property.
                      My favorite outdoor decoration is the four foot wide, round peace symbol comprised of white lights that hangs from one side of the house.

I actually had an Archie Bunker type tell me once that it was it was shameful. "Peace has nothing to do with Christmas." He told me.

Inside the house my wife goes nuts. Heidi loves Christmas and decorates anything that does not move. Scratch that. The dog has one of those jingle bell collars.
                      The only room off limits is my study.

Inside stuff stays up until New Years. Outside comes down around the same time unless we are having a bad winter. Then it might stay there until April.
                      ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
                      ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

Well, living in the large part of the world that doesn't have thanks giving I have to vote before! Actually, as my wife is Russian it gets a bit wierd, Russian Christmas is 7th January so when we put them up in the week before the 25th December she moans about putting them up early!!!
                        Wolster

Comment

Full German, nothing goes up until 6 Dec or St Nicholas day and comes down on 6 Jan Three Kings Day. NOTHING is permitted to interfere with the one Holiday that hasn't turned into a consumer frenzy. Thanksgiving is my day of the year. Usually invite neighbors over for the full Turkey day meal.

Bah humbug, I hate what [BXmas has become [/B]
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Later every year. Definitely long after Thanksgiving now that the kids are grown and on their own.

A number of years ago we lost my wife's mom in our home near Christmas. That seems to have helped put a damper on things too.

Also, when we travel over Christmas we don't put up any.
                            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Nothing at all until early December. In fact I go out of my way to avoid businesses that start running Christmas displays and playing carols prior to Thanksgiving.

"The Muppet Christmas Carol"
                              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X