What search engine do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What search engine do you use?

In the beginning I used Altavista, then somewhere along the line I switched to Google. Lately I have been looking for a Google alternative therefore......

I am curious what search engine you prefer to use and why?

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
    In the beginning I used Altavista, then somewhere along the line I switched to Google. Lately I have been looking for a Google alternative therefore......

I am curious what search engine you prefer to use and why?
    Yahooooooooo! Everything is always at my fingertips there.
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

I usually use Google the most but I sometimes use Yahoo
      "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

i use google because it is easy to follow most of the time and there is a "quick access" search quarry in the coner of my internet display.
        "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
        -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

In the beginning I used Altavista, then somewhere along the line I switched to Google.
          Same, still got Alta Vista bookmarked and use it from time to time.

Made a google search () for search engines, found a good list on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...search_engines

Comment

I remember the days of Alta Vista, but this days I'm 100% google.
            All warfare is based on deception.
            Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Started with Yahoo but now mainly use Google. As Yahoo is my start page (for Email) I still use it occansionally. I notice it has a search assistant that can be useful.
              Wolster

Comment

I use Yahoo for many searches and sometimes, for sites like this forum Google can come in handy!

Sometimes when I search for something in Google I get a lot of Wiki content straight away, where as Yahoo has a much more broader scope of links!

"In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                Mark Twain.

Comment

Before I used Altavista but when I have found Google, I've chosen it at once.It's absolutely the best one!
                  Historia Magistra Vitae.
                  M. T. Cicero

Comment

Originally, I used Yahoo before it was Yahoo. (It was akebono.stanford.edu.) Then, I used Yahoo for a long, long time. I recall being frustrated when it went from a hand-picked index to a "crawled" listing of sites, though now I see it was the only practical option.

Somewhere along the line, I switched to Google. Without a doubt, it is absolutely the most thorough, comprehensive Internet search engine I've ever found. However, despite their "don't be evil" rubric, in recent years they've begun to make me... nervous... about the sheer volume of information they are tapped into. Not only web page caches, but consider this. If you have a Gmail account and leave it logged in, Google can then associate your web searches with whatever information is in your email. Ditto with any Google Docs you may have. Ditto with any of a host of other services they offer. Seems to me that they have the potential to build a significant profile on regular users of their services with minimal effort.

A couple years ago, I started using Ask.com. I had used it a bit when it was AskJeeves.com and wasn't impressed. However, these days they've spent some time (and apparently some money) in revamping the site and the search algorithms, and I tend to get pretty good topical results without some of the excess "chaff" that sometimes shows up in a Google search. They do some extra "related" searches and display the results for you, which makes it handy to do some deeper digging. As an example, take a look at the result page for the search string "battle of new orleans":

http://www.ask.com/web?q=battle+of+n...rc=0&o=0&l=dir

In addition to the normal page listings, it offers pictures, a link to Wikipedia's page on the topic, some video clips (not specifically related in this case), related names, and both "more narrow" and "more broad" search suggestions. These extra details usually end up saving me some clicking, which is convenient.

I do still fall back on Google if I'm looking for something extremely esoteric that Ask.com can't uncover; but for my daily searches, Ask.com gets me where I need to go.

Also, since I work for a non-profit charity organization, I'd like to pimp the following search engine:

http://www.goodsearch.com/default.aspx

If you use that one, you can select a charity and every time you do a web search, the charity you designate gets a donation of a couple cents. Doesn't sound like a whole lot up front, but you see how that one could add up over time.

I'm not going to mention my organization here, as I don't think that would be appropriate. But you can search for one that is near and dear to your heart, and use that one every time you search.

Hm... I think that about covers my search engine experiences.
                    "I am not an atomic playboy."
                    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
                      Also, since I work for a non-profit charity organization, I'd like to pimp the following search engine:

http://www.goodsearch.com/default.aspx

If you use that one, you can select a charity and every time you do a web search, the charity you designate gets a donation of a couple cents. Doesn't sound like a whole lot up front, but you see how that one could add up over time.
                      Wow Mirror. I had never heard of this before. It sounds like a great idea. When they say it is "powered by Yahoo" I guess that means that it is really like making a Yahoo search but with a charity angle?

Is this search engine any good? If it is I might just make it my homepage. Of course some of my Charities of interest will have to be added

Comment

When they say it is "powered by Yahoo" I guess that means that it is really like making a Yahoo search but with a charity angle?

Is this search engine any good? If it is I might just make it my homepage. Of course some of my Charities of interest will have to be added
                        Yes, I think it's basically just a new front-end on a Yahoo search. I'm not sure how to go about adding a new charity, but there are apparently a lot of them already in there. I believe it is just US-based charities at this time, however.
                        "I am not an atomic playboy."
                        Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
                          Yes, I think it's basically just a new front-end on a Yahoo search. I'm not sure how to go about adding a new charity, but there are apparently a lot of them already in there. I believe it is just US-based charities at this time, however.
                          There is a button there to add a Charity. I found this one on their list that I like and am using for now:

http://www.vietnamrelief.org/index.htm

I will probably add "Save the Montagnard People" to their list too. Maybe some Democracy for Vietnam groups too. We will see.

I started using this today. I will try it for a while and see how I like it. So far so good. This is a real find Mirror.

Comment

Used to use Yahoo, but switched to Google some time ago. It's better at finding the things I'm looking for.
                            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                            http://www.mormon.org
                            http://www.sca.org
                            http://www.scv.org/
                            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

I see that live search is now also doing the Charity thing like Goodsearch. I have never used live search before.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X