X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facts to Ponder

FACTS TO PONDER:

My wife just forwarded me this.

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services

Now think about this:

Guns:

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, that's 80
    million..)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.

Statistics courtesy of FBI

So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous
    than gun owners.

Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors
    before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

Out of concern for the public at large, I withheld the statistics on
    lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical
    attention.
    Last edited by Widow Maker; 23 Oct 07, 01:52.
    "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
    Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Do you have the stats for how many are killed intentionally by guns?

........maimed?

........Killed in self defence ?

Just curious...
    Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
    Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
    David Bowie

Comment

Originally posted by PzKfwBob View Post
      Do you have the stats for how many are killed intentionally by guns?:
      10,100 homicides in 2005. If you want to add suicides (most of these would fall into your "intentional category" that's another 16,907. Figures from Center for Disease Control (CDC)

:........maimed?:
      52,447 wounds minor and major versus 23,237 accidental

:........Killed in self defence ?:
      These numbers are very, very low. When used in self defense firearms are not usually discharged. The appearance of the gun is usually all that is required. In spite of all the rhetoric that it is legally smarter to kill I think the defender is usually content to wound an attacker lawsuit or no lawsuit.

I've seen little listed on self-defense myself. One study put deaths from self-defense shootings at less than 40 a year from 1987 to 1990. Seems low to me.
      "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
      Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

The study used 1994 statistics supplied by the 36 countries. Of the 88,649 gun deaths reported by all the countries, the United States accounted for 45 percent, said Etienne Krug, a CDC researcher and co-author of the article.
        Japan, where very few people own guns, averages 124 gun-related attacks a year, and less than 1 percent end in death. Police often raid the homes of those suspected of having weapons.
        The study found that gun-related deaths were five to six times higher in the Americas than in Europe or Australia and New Zealand and 95 times higher than in Asia.
        Here are gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in the world's 36 richest countries in 1994: United States 14.24; Brazil 12.95; Mexico 12.69; Estonia 12.26; Argentina 8.93; Northern Ireland 6.63; Finland 6.46; Switzerland 5.31; France 5.15; Canada 4.31; Norway 3.82; Austria 3.70; Portugal 3.20; Israel 2.91; Belgium 2.90; Australia 2.65; Slovenia 2.60; Italy 2.44; New Zealand 2.38; Denmark 2.09; Sweden 1.92; Kuwait 1.84; Greece 1.29; Germany 1.24; Hungary 1.11; Republic of Ireland 0.97; Spain 0.78; Netherlands 0.70; Scotland 0.54; England and Wales 0.41; Taiwan 0.37; Singapore 0.21; Mauritius 0.19; Hong Kong 0.14; South Korea 0.12; Japan 0.05.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Copyright 1998, The Salt Lake Tribune
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Thanks for the stats, hope I didn't give the impression I'm a anti-gun nut or something. I was just curious.

I wonder amongst the murdered how many are crimes of passion as opposed to crimes of stupidity (eg: innocence bystanders at crime scenes, bar-fights, drug related etc). Have anything on that?

Gun crimes of stupidity bother me the most, not that I condone murder, it just seems too many innocents get gunned down because the perpetrators can't or won't aim their weapons and would rather blow 30 rounds down range towards their targets. These are the individuals I have a problem with.

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
          Lazarus Long

David Bowie

Comment

By "crimes of stupidity" (I love the term, BTW) do you mean where the person shot was not the intended target? Also, where there was no precise target? IOW, "wrong place at the wrong time" shootings?
            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
            http://www.mormon.org
            http://www.sca.org
            http://www.scv.org/
            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Janos View Post
              By "crimes of stupidity" (I love the term, BTW) do you mean where the person shot was not the intended target? Also, where there was no precise target? IOW, "wrong place at the wrong time" shootings?
              There was a 14 year old girl shot by her father in an argument here recently. I'd term that most definetly a crime of stupidity. No need at all.

Look at vehicular deaths. Cars kill way more people than guns.
              As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
              Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by dhuffjr View Post
                There was a 14 year old girl shot by her father in an argument here recently. I'd term that most definitely a crime of stupidity. No need at all.

Yeah Crimes of Stupidity, in my mind, boil down to where innocents get killed just because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or like the above example where guns were available at the wrong time.

It seems to me this is where gun crime has made gun ownership an issue. It's not the dude who happens to have a love of collecting automatic weapons and blows a few thousand rounds off in the desert with some buddies. It's the thudf**k criminals and wannabes who would have years ago settled their "problems" with their fists, maybe a knife or in real bad cases a "hit". However now days they deem it necessary, to go off have cocked (no pun intended) over even the slightest thing and always whip out guns, usually automatics, in a crowd or on some street with people on it and start firing with no thought to who else gets mowed down in the process.

Now yes in the Good Ol' Days innocents died on occassion, but now days it seems the norm not the exception.

As for automobile deaths, I sometimes wonder why no public outcry on that issue?

Lazarus Long

David Bowie

Comment

As for automobile deaths, I sometimes wonder why no public outcry on that issue?
                  Thats my point. I work at a large trauma center. We get far more vehicular traumas than we do firearm/stabbing ones......and Dayton Ohio is gunning (no pun intended) for Detroit in the crime category.

You want to save lives eliminate vehicles. How many fatal horse and buggy accidents do you know of that don't involve an internal combustion engine powered component?
                  As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                  Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

rotflmaf

This has to be the silliest argument for guns.

What is the purpose of vehicles?

Is training and registration required for vehicles? Aren't we afraid the government is going to come and take away our cars?
                    80mil Americans own guns
                    How many own cars?

What is the main purpose of guns?

Own guns? Sure, but "well regulated" as in the 2nd.

HP
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X