How to bore a hole in drywall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bore a hole in drywall?

I want to bore a hole in drywall large enough to thread an Ethernet cable through it and I don't have a proper drill-only tiny hobby drills for plastic models. What substitute tool can I use to make the hole without having to purchase a $100 electric drill from Black & Decker??

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

If its just drywall and no stud most anything will work if you are careful.

For an ethernet jack try a wide bit regular screwdriver or even the tip of a stake knife (don't tell my wife). Slowly twist/gouge until you have the right size opening and you're in business.

If you are going just between walls, a bamboo skewer makes a nice snake.
    ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
    ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

cyberia has given you fair means, MZ... if you wish to cover up the rough edges, any hardware store has plastic 'grommets' (25 cents) that will press into the hole & you can route your cable through it. Nice & tidy like. What he said about a stud being in the way is important, though. Tap on the wall from side to side & you will likely hear the hollow/solid sounds indicating the studs locations before you gouge, drill, or cut your hole.

If you have a Dremel, a simple drill bit will cut drywall fairly well if you plunge in & then steadily cut sideways with it, but keep good firm control of the tool in your hand, mate.

Last edited by Admiral; 22 Oct 07, 00:03.
      On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
        cyberia has given you fair means, MZ... if you wish to cover up the rough edges, any hardware store has plastic 'grommets' (25 cents) that will press into the hole & you can route your cable through it. Nice & tidy like. What he said about a stud being in the way is important, though. Tap on the wall from side to side & you will likely hear the hollow/solid sounds indicating the studs locations before you gouge, drill, or cut your hole.

If you have a Dremel, a simple drill bit will cut drywall fairly well if you plunge in & then steadily cut sideways with it, but keep good firm control of the tool in your hand, mate.

I like the plastic grommet idea. Hell, you could go brass if it fit your decor!
        ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

100 dollars for a black and decker?

I've got a cheap corded drill I bought at Kmart for around 12 dollars when we got our first house.........was drilling into concrete and was able to push down hard enough on it to stop the bit from turning.

A good cordless drill will serve you well in many endeavors. I've got several Craftsman ones that have done quite good for me. Like books, you can never have too many tools.

In a pinch just use a screwdriver like suggested. Drywall is easy to pierce.
          As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
          Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

It is probably better to use a screw driver, I do, at least you won't go through anything you didn't want to like pipes or cables!
            Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
              I want to bore a hole in drywall large enough to thread an Ethernet cable through it and I don't have a proper drill-only tiny hobby drills for plastic models. What substitute tool can I use to make the hole without having to purchase a $100 electric drill from Black & Decker??
              Get a GMC cheap but only good for a few jobs mate

one day ate work a bloke I work with was making doors for a cotainer and was using a GMC drop saw I think and he ended up cutting the back bearing of the amatar in the motor bit of the drop saw we chucked it out not worth repairing
              http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

Originally posted by dhuffjr View Post
                100 dollars for a black and decker?

I've got a cheap corded drill I bought at Kmart for around 12 dollars when we got our first house.........was drilling into concrete and was able to push down hard enough on it to stop the bit from turning.

A good cordless drill will serve you well in many endeavors. I've got several Craftsman ones that have done quite good for me. Like books, you can never have too many tools.

In a pinch just use a screwdriver like suggested. Drywall is easy to pierce.
                I think you would of gotten a GMC they are pretty crappy
                http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

MZ-A simple 4-part plan.

1-Ask your wife to hold a pool cue.

2-Position your head in the area you want the hole pierced through.

3-Mention it looks like she has gained a little weight.

4-Duck!
                  ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Hm... where is the other end of the cable going? You can make a teeny tiny hole that the cable will fit through, but you may find that if you're trying to maneuver it around and out another opening or on another wall, you need a bit more room to do that. If you head to the store to get a drilling tool, pick up a small container of patching compound as well, just in case.

Alternately, you could investigate a wireless solution instead of using an ethernet cable.
                    "I am not an atomic playboy."
                    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

He's a man and doesn't own a power drill?

It's just drywall. Paper covered plaster.

You could cut it with a knife, xacto knife or you can punch the hole with a centre punch. You could bore it with a simple lag screw which makes an impromptu drill bit. You can even get drill bits to fit in screw drivers which won't cost you much.

Drywall is nothing, it's when you have to go through wood or metal in addition to the drywall that you have a problem.
                      Life is change. Built models for decades.
                      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Hammer!

Or perhaps a sledgehammer.
                        Wisdom is personal

Comment

May I suggest telling the wall your ideas on existensialism for a few hours? That would BORE ME TO DEATH!

Comment

seeing as this is America, how about a Gunshot?
                            Winnie says
                            ---------------------------------
                            "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                            Herr Flick.

Comment

Hm... another thought occurs to me. Make sure that the wall is indeed drywall and not plaster (some older houses have plaster/lathe for the walls). Any of the suggestions on this page that involve puncturing would get very unfortunate (i.e. cracks, pieces falling off) if you try to puncture through plaster.

If you're sure it is drywall, though, then you should be in business.
                              "I am not an atomic playboy."
                              Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X