Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A subtle sign that Bush is in trouble...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A subtle sign that Bush is in trouble...

"Kennyboy" Lay, one of Bush's top lifetime campaign contributors, and the disgraced, former Enron CEO and Chairman, now wants a "speedy trial". His lawyer wants this wrapped up before the elections. Why the rush, and what the hell does it have to do with Bush being in trouble you ask?

Well...if Lay is convicted after Bush is voted out of office (up until his last day in office, technically), then he will have to serve his sentence. However, if he is convicted before Bush is voted out, then you can bet your bottom dollar, that all the rhetoric about "corporate responsibility" that Bush has hypocritically managed to spout off, will go right out the window, when he signs Kennyboy's "get out of jail free" card, i.e., a Presidential Pardon. A conviction, being pardoned is the ultimate safety net, since double jeopardy laws would prohibit retrying him on the same charges.

See? Kennyboy's got nothing to lose expediting the trial. Even if he loses, he wins...as long as it happens while Bush is in office. Now, it makes some sense for you, when you read this
    Ex-Enron Chief Lay Files for Quick Start to Trial

By Matt Daily

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Former Enron Corp. Chairman Ken Lay filed court papers on Monday seeking to start his trial next month on fraud and conspiracy charges related to the downfall of the energy company.

"Ken Lay is innocent and he wants a trial, and he's entitled to a speedy trial," Michael Ramsey, Lay's lawyer, told reporters.

In the motions filed to U.S. District Court Judge Sim Lake, Lay sought to sever his case from the indictment handed down last month that added him to the cases against former Enron Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey Skilling and former Chief Accounting Officer Richard Causey.

Lay, 62, asked the court for a Sept. 14 trial date, and waived his right to a jury, offering instead to put the case directly to Judge Lake.

In the filing, Lay's lawyers said a trial without a jury would probably last about three weeks.

Enron, once the darling of Wall Street, collapsed in 2001 after the energy trader's use of off-balance sheet partnerships to hide billions of dollars in debt were exposed.

Lay faces up to 175 years in prison and $5.75 million in fines if convicted on all 11 counts included in his indictment.

A scheduling hearing in the case against the three former Enron executives is set for Wednesday.

Ramsey accused Deputy Attorney-General James Comey of political posturing at a press conference in July when Lay's indictment was unsealed, and suggested the timing of the charges was related to the national elections set to take place in November.

"I despise the boasting that went on in the political ranks of the Justice Department three weeks ago," Ramsey said.

"I'm just as serious as a heart attack when I say that we need to get this thing tried and we need to get it tried before the election," he added.

Ramsey said he expected the government to object to the request for a speedy trial and the motion to try Lay separately from Skilling and Causey, who are both facing dozens of charges.

A Justice Department spokesman was not immediately available to comment.

Lawyers for Skilling and Causey, whose trials are not expected to begin before 2005, are not opposed to severing the cases, Ramsey said.

Lay, who pleaded not guilty and is free on a $500,000 bond, resumed the position of Enron's chief executive officer after Skilling abruptly resigned just months before the company, once the seventh largest in the U.S., filed for bankruptcy.

I guess this rat senses the ship's going down...
    I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

LOL James...that's quite the theory you got there! I'm sure Karl Rove read that in the news this morning and said "Oh no, we're in trouble now."

Besides, there's enough other reasons for Bush to be concerned about his reelection. Though none of those reason's are John Kerry.

Take care pal,
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Scully
      I'm sure Karl Rove read that in the news this morning and said "Oh no, we're in trouble now."
      I'm pretty sure that Rove didn't see it in the news this morning, since (according to my sources) he sleeps through the day, like all the rest of the bloodsucking vampires do...

His pasty white complexion should be evidence enough of that!

How else to explain the long pine box, sprinkled with Texas dirt, that resides in the basement under the West Wing?
      I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Originally posted by JAMiAM
        How else to explain the long pine box, sprinkled with Texas dirt, that resides in the basement under the West Wing?
        I always thought the long pine box was for the remains of the women, children, elderly, and poor that those damn conservative Republicans kill with their heartless and insensitive policies.

Comment

roflmao!

How you can keep from biting that tongue, when it is lodged so firmly in cheek, I'll never know...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X