Babysitting... how much to pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babysitting... how much to pay?

For the first time ever since we had kids, my wife and I are having someone other than her parents watch our kids for an evening (they are going to the same wedding we are going to). My cousin has agreed to babysit, but since we've never hired a babysitter before, we have no idea what the "going rate" is for payment.

This will probably be for about six hours or so... and we figure we should include a few bucks for dinner. Anyone have any insight? I don't want to come in too cheap (since she is family, after all), but I don't want to drop any more than I have to, either (since she is family, after all).
    "I am not an atomic playboy."
    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
    For the first time ever since we had kids, my wife and I are having someone other than her parents watch our kids for an evening (they are going to the same wedding we are going to). My cousin has agreed to babysit, but since we've never hired a babysitter before, we have no idea what the "going rate" is for payment.

This will probably be for about six hours or so... and we figure we should include a few bucks for dinner. Anyone have any insight? I don't want to come in too cheap (since she is family, after all), but I don't want to drop any more than I have to, either (since she is family, after all).
    My sister tells me that that she pays $10 an hour and $5 per kid. She has three so its $25 per hour. Keep in mind that in my area, a teenager working at Subway starts at $12 an hour.

I have babysat for relatives and neighbors for free. I felt the best treated when I was told to rent as many movies as I want and and order anything I wanted eat. Kicking me a twenty for gas is gravy.
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
      My sister tells me that that she pays $10 an hour and $5 per kid. She has three so its $25 per hour. Keep in mind that in my area, a teenager working at Subway starts at $12 an hour.

I have babysat for relatives and neighbors for free. I felt the best treated when I was told to rent as many movies as I want and and order anything I wanted eat. Kicking me a twenty for gas is gravy.

I need to get a job in your area. That is a ton to pay!
      I am guessing 30 bucks for the night would be sufficient. A lot depends on the sitter and the age of the kid. chances are if it is a young child the child will be sleeping for a majority of the time. So the sitter will be watching TV or reading a book. If it looks as if the sitter enjoyed the time with the youngster and you completely trust them, toss in an extra few bucks as a thank you. I would say, we really appreciate everything so here is an extra 5-10 bucks as an extra thanks.

Chad
      "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by creeping death View Post
        I need to get a job in your area. That is a ton to pay!
        Not really. A couple of movies and a small or medium pizza is well within your stated range of $30. The gas money that I mentioned is not far off from your "extra thanks".

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
          Not really. A couple of movies and a small or medium pizza is well within your stated range of $30. The gas money that I mentioned is not far off from your "extra thanks".

You said she was paying $25.00 or $15.00 an hour with 1 kid? Am I confused? I was paying $5.00 an hour plus a little extra. So I would pay $40.00 for the 6 hours and she is paying $90.
          If I was to get $15 an hour cash that is huge for most people I know.

Tell me if I am missing something.

Chad
          "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Granted they are your precious children and getting cheap is usually unwise, but life is what it is, and babysitting and day care etc etc etc diapers for infants, or toys for kids, or education costs for teens. It gets a bit much.

My advice, find a couple that has the same problem, how to afford babysitting.
            Do a switch, you watch theirs for free one instance, they watch yours for one instance. No money changes hands, both couples get some mobility.

Added benefit, the kids likely will enjoy playing together. And yes, of course you need to pick your choice well, but you had to do that regardless of whether it's paid help or not.
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
              My advice, find a couple that has the same problem, how to afford babysitting.
              Do a switch, you watch theirs for free one instance, they watch yours for one instance. No money changes hands, both couples get some mobility.
              It's funny... we were actually going to start doing that, but the other couple moved out of state. They may be moving back, though, so we might see about setting something like that up.

Thanks for the replies so far.
              "I am not an atomic playboy."
              Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

The wife and I would leave a $20 for pizza, and give the sitter an additional $20 for 2 pre-teen kids. But then, it was always an older mid-late teen's sibling doing the "sitting" for what it's worth. So about $40 total and we had all night. (sucks to have a curfew as an adult )

Comment

Originally posted by deterrumeversor View Post
                  The wife and I would leave a $20 for pizza, and give the sitter an additional $20 for 2 pre-teen kids. But then, it was always an older mid-late teen's sibling doing the "sitting" for what it's worth. So about $40 total and we had all night. (sucks to have a curfew as an adult )

It's a family, and it is one time only $40.00 sounds good. It's not an everyday baby sitting, as long as they have food.
                  My Own Christmas Tree....

Comment

Well, how much is the well being of your children to you. Do you have anything that you place more worth on? How much is your wife's hours with your children. When this is the first time then the 30 or 40 should be in it. IF you plan on doing this again the top $ usually well get top service.

Grandpa
                    HP
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post

The first time we did this, it was only after our eldest was 2yo and our youngest was only about 6 months. We let the daughter of an acquaintance of my wife's from work watch our kids so we could have dinner and just walk around a mall. We got home early to find our car AND our infant gone and our 2yo sitting in his room watching television.

The police were called immediately, and about 30 minutes later, the girl pulls-up with our car (no, she didn't have authorization to use it and no license) and our infant, with some lame excuse about having to pick-up her friend who had been raped. No friend could be produced and no rape complaint was filed anywhere in the county.

We pressed charges for reckless endangerment of a child and car theft. She spent a bit of time in juvie. Last I heard, she had moved somewhere with her dad.

Needless to say that was the last time we left our kids with another baby sitter for a few years.

That's not to say YOU'LL have a bad experience, Mirror!

Comment

Originally posted by creeping death View Post
                        You said she was paying $25.00 or $15.00 an hour with 1 kid? Am I confused? I was paying $5.00 an hour plus a little extra. So I would pay $40.00 for the 6 hours and she is paying $90.
                        If I was to get $15 an hour cash that is huge for most people I know.

Tell me if I am missing something.

Chad
                        OKay. I see. I was just giving an example of a real babysitter. I would never pay that myself. That's what friends and relatives are for.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

The trick is credibility.

You can score some real nice cash as a young person (someone under 21) if you become known in your locale as dependable. There's never enough reliable people to go around for babysitting needs it seems.

But you don't get the good rep by just showing up and ensuring the house doesn't burn down while the parents were away. Just showing up and holding down the couch is worth almost nothing an hour to me. Showing up and playing with the kids, taking them to a park to play, or doing educational activities with them means you take babysitting seriously. That's worth a real wage per hour to me.
                          Life is change. Built models for decades.
                          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X