Ants use aphids as slave labor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ants use aphids as slave labor

Hungry ants use aphids as slave labor because ahpids produce some kind of a sugar-rich juice. Ants bite the aphids' wings off to prevent them from flying away, herd them into "farms" and also keep them sedated with some kind of a narcotic that keeps the aphids tranquilized and happy.

Very interesting article because of its many parallels with human business practices.

Ants have many human traits indeed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...quilizevictims

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

As a long time home veggie gardener I've learned to deal with those nasty little aphids. They not only suck the life out of tomatoes and peppers (and just about anything else) but they also spread plant diseases. As insects go the apdid is pretty wimpy and has no real defense, enter the ant...the ants will protect their aphid friends, so controlling the ants is improtant to control the aphids. Fortunately there are quite a few insects and bugs that love to feed on aphids, once you get rid of the ants.
    "Every man should be his own Guru; every woman her own Gurette" ...Ed Abbey

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
      Hungry ants use aphids as slave labor because ahpids produce some kind of a sugar-rich juice. Ants bite the aphids' wings off to prevent them from flying away, herd them into "farms" and also keep them sedated with some kind of a narcotic that keeps the aphids tranquilized and happy.
      This is terrible.
      As I age, I have become more sensitive to the plight and suffering of other creatures.
      I eat chicken, and beef, and pork, but it sorrows me the pain and suffering they must endure for us to eat them.
      Don't fishing hooks cause pain for fish?
      I went hunting once, had a deer in my Mauser's sights, and let it go.
      I used to pull wings off moths.
      What was I thinking?
      Don't you think its terrible that animals eat other animals alive in nature?
      Why can't we wait for animals to die a natural death before we eat them?
      "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Slug. Get over it.
        Wisdom is personal

Comment

Well if we had to let animals die before we could eat them, we would starve
          "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post

If you'd had as many Bambis jump into your car as I have you would have took the shot.
            "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
            Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

Posted by Monster Zero:

"Hungry ants use aphids as slave labor..."

I demand reparations!!

Comment

I demand UN sanctions and a NATO humanitarian intervention....maybe we could contract private extermination uhhhh I mean unvalued animal population limitation companies to do the job.

Comment

I've eaten water buffalo that literally dropped in it's tracks (at least I'm pretty sure that's where the chow hall got it). No matter how you try to tenderize it, you need strong teeth, an even stronger stomach, and no taste buds to mention.

We are, after all, merely animals ourselves. Completely natural diet (well, it would be without all the additives).
                  All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

Compared to what?

. . . I eat chicken, and beef, and pork, but it sorrows me the pain and suffering they must endure for us to eat them. . . .
                    Farm raised animals are healthier and experience far more stress free lives than their wild ancestors.

Animals don't grow old amongst the respect and love of their family and friends except on your TV screen. They don't retire. Ever.

A wild animal dies of disease or starvation [often simultaneously] or is eaten by something else in a spasm of violence that would make the average gang-banger lose his lunch.

Your dinner on the other hand was selectively bred to be your dinner over hundreds of generations. It's had a healthier diet and better medical care than some people [now that is something you can get upset about]. When its time came it was stunned and killed in less than a minute.

They have their place in the food chain and you have yours. Be greatful your respective positions are where they are. Now get out your Green Egg and get to work!
                    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

In certain areas you are the food Slug. I am certain you can think of a few areas I am talking about.

Hmmmmmm!!!!! anyone know what eats slugs???

Comment

This is terrible.
                        As I age, I have become more sensitive to the plight and suffering of other creatures.
                        I eat chicken, and beef, and pork, but it sorrows me the pain and suffering they must endure for us to eat them.
                        What was I thinking?
                        Slug, you're awesome but I have to smile at this one. A hungry shark will think nothing of your feelings before eating you. A tiger will catch it's prey in a vice grip along the throat that causes the other animal to strangle to death. In a world of natural cruelty we humans are the only creature that feels sorry for it's food; and this despite the fact that we kill it more humanely than any other creature.
                        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

This is terrible.
                          What was I thinking?
                          Slug was either joking or drinking... I just can't tell which.
                          Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

I have a book I read to my kids, called The Grouchy Ladybug. It begins with two ladybugs landing on a leaf to eat aphids.

It is incidental to the story, but at the end of the book the two ladybugs finish all the aphids from the leaf, to which the leaf replies, "Thank you."

There you have it. Incontrovertible proof that leaves don't like aphids and, thus, the aphids should be eliminated.
                            "I am not an atomic playboy."
                            Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X