Help - Stupid Redleg Artillery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Stupid Redleg Artillery question

A friend of mine is a Marine Artillery officer. His cats tore up the aluminum flex duct that connects his dryer to the wall outlet. He asked another friend to build him a wooden covering to go over the ductwork so the cats can't get to it. This person is working on the box and decided it looks like an ammo crate so he had an idea. Since I am the putative artist who is also the history buff he asked me if I could stencil something on the side of the box to make it look like a Marine artillery ordinance crate. This is supposed to be a surprise and joke for the Marine.

I am sure I can handle the block lettering, but I don't know what to write. All I can think of would be "M-72 LAW" But that is not what he wants. He wants something a Redleg can identify with.

Help!

My question is what would an artillery ammo crate have written on it? Not too complicated please.

Any ideas would be appreciated

I would think something like the below would work.

Sorry I couldn't find anything clearer.
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

I've got some old mortar round and mortar fuse crates in my garage. Not artillery though.

PM Marines (Bryan) or maybe he'll notice this as he was a Marine artilleryman.
      As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
      Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
        I would think something like the below would work.

Sorry I couldn't find anything clearer.
        I can't read what it says

Comment

Originally posted by dhuffjr View Post
          I've got some old mortar round and mortar fuse crates in my garage. Not artillery though.

PM Marines (Bryan) or maybe he'll notice this as he was a Marine artilleryman.

Do they have a Marine logo stenciled along with a descrption of the mortar rounds?

In my head I am imagining something that looks like things on the set of "Mail Call"
          Last edited by Miss Saigon; 14 Oct 07, 13:14.

Comment

Why don't you ask Redleg?
            "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Hope these help...

Comment

Originally posted by CPangracs View Post

Hope these help...
                Well well, that looks like it to me. I was going to ask Redleg but he hasn't been around for a few days and I will be working on this today. Thanks CPangracs !!!!

I think I will tell the carpenter to leave the ropes off as the cats are likely to make short work of them too

Comment

Do you really want to put a wooden contraption over a heated area? Sounds a bit like a fire hazard. It might be more acceptable to put some odor around the Clothes dryer to keep the cats away. I remember some kind of sprinkles I used to use in my carport years ago. There is also de-clawing...

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Your dryer duct...

I'm a General Contractor in St. Albert, Alberta, Canada. Best solution here is to get a 6' length of ridgid galvanized heating pipe and an elbow. Use this from the dryer to get up off the floor and out of the cats range. Cut off the flex-duct, slip it over the ridgid pipe and apply the "Red Green" (duct tape) solution to the joint. Problem solved in ten minutes for less than ten bucks.
                    BTW:
                    There would be no safety concerns with the wooden box as regards to fire; dryers (even natural gas fired ones) create nowhere near enough heat to cause a problem. It just seems to me that spending all that effort and money on something that's a ten buck fix is kinda like the old sledgehammer/fly analogy
                    Then again, we contractors always tend to look at the quick and easy solution to something like this as opposed to some of the more "creative" ones, like the one your buddy's chosen.

Waits to be bombarded with how do I do ...?

Cheers, Ron
                    48 trips 'round the sun on this sh*tball we call home...and still learning...
                    __________________________________________________ __________________

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                      Do you really want to put a wooden contraption over a heated area? Sounds a bit like a fire hazard.
                      Pruitt
                      I doubt it. The dryer duct goes up through the wall which is far more confined than this ammo box.

I'm a General Contractor in St. Albert, Alberta, Canada. Best solution here is to get a 6' length of ridgid galvanized heating pipe and an elbow. Use this from the dryer to get up off the floor and out of the cats range. Cut off the flex-duct, slip it over the ridgid pipe and apply the "Red Green" (duct tape) solution to the joint. Problem solved in ten minutes for less than ten bucks.
                      I wasn't the one who came up with the box concept. Your idea is a good one and I will suggest it to the person who built the box, who is a builder by the way too. But I think the idea was to make something that looked better than a pipe running along the base of the wall for 3 feet. This way it would look better and be more utilitarian. You can set stuff on it.

I didn't build the box, I am involved in the decoration of the box. I have already made the letter stencils based on the suggested posts here. I did not decide what form of fix would be made for the vent, but I liked the idea of an Ammo crate next to the dryer in the laundry room. It sounded funny to me.

Comment

No offense intended, I read the whole thread and knew that the "solution" was already well underway. Definately will look way better than a piece of pipe running across the floor too.
                        I just always seem to look at things from the POV: get in, get it done, get paid, on to the next one!!!

Cheers, Ron
                        48 trips 'round the sun on this sh*tball we call home...and still learning...
                        __________________________________________________ __________________

Comment

Hey guys, thaks for all the input

The Marine and his wife in question liked the idea of the box rather than rigid pipe because it would look better and they could then set stuff on top of the box. They don't know about the ammo crate idea yet, although they know something is happening to the box to "personalize" it.

I am almost finished with the box. I have had to make some comprimises for artistic and functional reasons, but I am using the information received here. I will try and post some pics when I am finished.

Comment

What a great idea! I built a wall display case years ago the was phonied up to look like an old dynamite crate: I labeled it "ACME DYNAMITE COMPANY with the logo in small print: " If it's ACME dynamite, it's a blast!" since I am an inveterate Wliey E. Coyote fan. Everyone thought it was real and no one ever asked me about it.
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

My kind of humor MM . . .

I got two old training grenades years ago [hollow cast iron]. I cleaned the rust and blue paint off and repainted them OD. I scrounged up spare handles, pins, and safety clips in the training areas. I never got around to stenciling them but you've got to check my "paper weights" pretty close to see that they aren't live M67's.
                              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X