Our Next Applicant for the Supervillian Hall of Fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Next Applicant for the Supervillian Hall of Fame

No, it's not Dr. Sinister. He's already there. It's the Harry Potter evil wizard Voldemort. I have been reading the last book and it has slowly occured to me that Voldemort behaves more like a supervillian than a dark wizard, perhaps moreso. So I shall put him up for examination.

Supervillian Qualifier #1 - Lieutenants.

Dark wizards love to micromanage. You might find one apprentice but on a whole the bucks stops with them. There's them and then there's the expendable minions. Supervillians, on the other hand, provide many opportunities for mid-level management, especially since failure of a subordinate usually results in a job opening - wink wink.

Voldemort has Lietenants and he punishes them when they fail. This is a supervillian qualifier.

Supervillian Qualifier #2 - An evil accent or other distinction.

Supervillians must have a distinct accent - preferrably but not neccessarily a British, German, or Russian one. They must either have this or a distinguishing characteristic such as a missing eye or scar. Having both a distinguishing characteristic and accent is even better.

Voldemort has pallid skin and an unnatural high pitched voice which may qualify as distinguishing characteristics.

Supervillian Qualifier #3 - "Thees ees the price of failure meestair Bond!"

Supervillians always display a marked tendency to want to find unique and creative ways to dispatch their nemeses and will often forgo quickly killing their adversaries to do this, often allowing their adversaries to escape in the process.

In HP #7 Voldemort orders his snake to sieze Harry Potter while he rushes in for the kill - instead of just having his snake snuff Mr. Potter while he has the chance. Also Voldemort seems obsessed with using a magical means. So the two wands cancel each other out and a spell protects Mr. Potter from dark wizards as long as he calls the house home. Does the spell protect him from the Mafia? Kick some doors in and put a Mac 10 to good use. But Voldemort wants to get creative. This is a supervillian qualifier.

Supervillian Qualifier #4 - A pet that is either a cat or a dangerous animal.

Both supervillians and dark wizards share this trait. The question is, does Voldemort's snake qualify more as a dangerous pet often used for execution or an animal familiar?

Supervillian Qualifier #5 - A vast underground complex.

Dark wizards prefer towers with an obscene number of railless stairways to get to the top. Supervillians, on the other hand, prefer vast underground bunkers. Voldemort has neither, unless the Ministry of Magic which was unofficially siezed and is sort of underground counts.

Optional Supervillian Qualifier - A Death Ray

Not all supervillians have death rays but many do. The debate will be whether or not Voldemort's killing curse qualifies as a death ray.

Now I put it to a vote. Voldemort - Dark Wizard or Supervillian?
    Yes - Voldemort qualifies for Supervillian Status
    16.67%
    No - He is a Dark Wizard
    83.33%
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

You have way too much time on your hands.

But then I am responding to your post, so........

I vote Evil Wizard. Kind of like Saruman (who at least had his own tower), always lurking in the background, ploting for his eventual domination, using minions like toilet paper to do his bidding, scaring the land, and making life hard for the everyday folk.

There, what do I win?

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
      You have way too much time on your hands.
      I know, I was thinking the same thing. Been a slow day.
      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Can't he be both? I mean, I've been checking the League of Supervillains handbook and there's no rule which says you can't join the club if you are a Dark Wizard. In fact Ethel who runs the club cafe is undoubtedly some kind of witch - her cakes taste disgusting and her coffee is evil.

Dr. S.
        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
          Can't he be both? I mean, I've been checking the League of Supervillains handbook and there's no rule which says you can't join the club if you are a Dark Wizard. In fact Ethel who runs the club cafe is undoubtedly some kind of witch - her cakes taste disgusting and her coffee is evil.

Dr. S.
          I didn't see Hilary Clinton's name up there, so I didn't vote..
          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Of course! Magical supervillains are a long-standing tradition. From Felix Faust and Myxyzptlk in DC to the Dread Dormammu at Marvel.

You weren't really serious, were you? I've exposed my hidden shame. Geek. Comic freak...I'll just go home now....
            All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

I voted "Dark Wizard"

But then I read Dr. S' post. So now I'm not so sure.

[And my excuse is, "my wife is out of town"]

Originally posted by Martok View Post
              . . . There, what do I win?

You can only have one:

A

OR

B
              Attached Files
              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X