Gore climate film's 'nine errors'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gore climate film's 'nine errors'

A High Court judge who ruled on whether climate change film, An Inconvenient Truth, could be shown in schools said it contains "nine scientific errors".

Mr Justice Burton said the government could still send the film to schools - if accompanied by guidance giving the other side of the argument.

He was ruling on an attempt by a Kent school governor to ban the film from secondary schools.

The Oscar-winning film was made by former US Vice-President Al Gore.

The judge said nine statements in the film were not supported by mainstream scientific consensus.

In his final verdict, the judge said the film could be shown as long as updated guidelines were followed.
    [...]
    FULL ARTICLE - BBC NEWS

No film made by a politician, right or wrong, that advocates any political point of view should be shown in the public school system where there is a captive audience. This would be a dangerous precident. Does George Bush get equal time? Even if he did this should not happen anywhere except perhaps in college political science classes.

Let them dig up all the professors and scientists and have a proper academic debate about this if they must, but the politicians should be kept out of it.

Al Gore needs to shut up, pay his $30K electric bill, and they need to find a better spokesperson for global warming. I refuse to listen to anyone saying I should conserve when he consumes so much. Do as I say.......

I recognize my electric bill is unusually low (Hey, I have done my part and without compact flourescent bulbs - the miracle that will save the world ), but surely they can find someone with an electric bill that is in the hundreds to sponsor this cause?
    Last edited by Miss Saigon; 11 Oct 07, 11:42.

Comment

While I think Gore is often over the top, if the news paper quotes are verbatim from the ruling it seems seriously flawed. Example

"Mr Gore's assertion that the disappearance of snow on Mount Kilimanjaro in East Africa was expressly attributable to global warming - the court heard the scientific consensus was that it cannot be established the snow recession is mainly attributable to human-induced climate change. "

The melting of the snow on Kilimanjaro is due to global warming so the factual state is completely wrong. Whether it is due to human activity is another question but the judge seems to fail to grasp the most basic scientific concepts.
      Boston Strong!

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
        No film made by a politician, right or wrong, that advocates any political point of view should be shown in the public school system where there is a captive audience. This would be a dangerous precident. Does George Bush get equal time? Even if he did this should not happen anywhere except perhaps in college political science classes.

Let them dig up all the professors and scientists and have a proper academic debate about this if they must, but the politicians should be kept out of it.

Al Gore needs to shut up, pay his $30K electric bill, and they need to find a better spokesperson for global warming. I refuse to listen to anyone saying I should conserve when he consumes so much. Do as I say.......

I recognize my electric bill is unusually low (Hey, I have done my part and without compact flourescent bulbs - the miracle that will save the world ), but surely they can find someone with an electric bill that is in the hundreds to sponsor this cause?
        Algore remains an idiot shill of the hard left in this country. I heartily applaud the actions of that High Court Judge!.
        "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

While I kinda sympathize with this, I see some serious problems with it. When it comes to the "hard sciences," yeah, there's a body of scientific data we can refer to, and it may be possible to stick to the facts. But outside the realm of science and mathematics, there's bias everywhere. History, political science, economics, you name it -- there are always competing schools of thought. What facts are available in those areas are selected to support somebody's opinion or theoretical model. (Sometimes that happens even in the realms of math and science.)

So, I don't have a problem with Gore putting out a biased film. As long as it's clearly marked as an Al Gore film, its bias can be determined with just a bit of research. Thus, what we have is the Gore view of global warming -- which is about as valid a view as yours or mine or anybody's at this point.

The trouble with keeping all such stuff out of public schools is that it makes me wonder what would be left to teach in public schools. Do we teach math and science only, and stop teaching literature and history and art and all those biased subjects? What kind of education is that?

The only solution I can see is the one you suggest: giving other schools of thought equal time. Show the Gore film, then show a rebuttal to it, and maybe some other viewpoints besides. Demonstrate that it's a political issue as well as a scientific one. And encourage students to think for themselves and make up their own minds.
          --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Originally posted by JSMoss View Post
            The melting of the snow on Kilimanjaro is due to global warming so the factual state is completely wrong. Whether it is due to human activity is another question but the judge seems to fail to grasp the most basic scientific concepts.
            And there's the thing: the facts are just the facts -- pretty much useless until somebody (even somebody like Gore) interprets them and makes them meaningful in some way or other.

One side interprets the known facts to mean that we human beings are unwittingly destroying our planet. So these folks call for certain kinds of action to protect the earth for future generations.

Another side interprets the known facts to mean that natural changes are occurring but the earth and humanity are about as safe as ever. So they don't call for any drastic changes, but just continued adaptation.

Fearmongers usually get the most attention, though. Whatever the facts may be, if a political group can arouse people's fears, they can make good headway for their cause.
            --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

"Mr Gore's assertion that the disappearance of snow on Mount Kilimanjaro in East Africa was expressly attributable to global warming
              True, warming usually causes snow to melt.

the court heard the scientific consensus was that it cannot be established the snow recession is mainly attributable to human-induced climate change.
              Also true, just as you can not prove man makes the snow melt in april.

The judge is spot on with this decision. You are unfortunatly not spot on. You have taken and twisted a rresponse to fit your view. The judge did not say there was no global warming----He just said it can not be proven that man caused it.

We (the earth) go through cycles of warming and cooling every couple of decades. With large occilations every couple of centuries, and huge changes every couple of hundred decades. Just 25 years ago we were in an unusual cold cycle....And all the alarmist scientists told us we were causing the next ice age...Now all of the sudden we are causing the next heat wave....Make up you minds please mr. science community.
              A thousand years ago the worlds surface temp. was a couple of degrees warmer than it is now.
              http://academic.emporia.edu/aberjame...9/holocene.htm
              760-810a.d.: multi-year droughts initiated first collapse phase of classical Mayan civilization in the Yucatán Peninsula of Mexico (Peterson and Haug 2005)
              800-1000s a.d.: Aletsch and Grindelwald glaciers (Switzerland) were much smaller than today.. Did we cause that?
              10,000 years ago we were in a total ice age....Did man cause the global warming that made that ice age go away?

Comment

I have actually watched this movie in school.......
                “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

I watched the film, I liked it.

I can also state that a good deal of other people have claimed they liked it.

But you will find it a lot harder to find supporters IN the US as opposed to outside it.

But, to defend it in the classroom I would ask this in connection with the ruling.

Is it because Al Gore has been in politics that it is unwelcome in schools (by some), or is it the science in the film which isn't 100% (I'm not saying I believe it is 100% when I said I liked it)?

Because, if it's his politics, then what about any other form of documentary?
                  Shall we go on a witch hunt for virtually any documentary if the spokesperson or narrator has had strong political activities in the past?

I've seen a VERY long list of documentaries on darn near everything under the sun for topics. Sometimes the content is more controversial sometimes it's way too mundane to raise any eyebrows. Sometimes it's from people with strong politics, and sometimes it's just from people good at narrating a topic.

In most of the posts concerning this film that I see, it seems most of the anti Gore lobby is really only interested in smearing Al's name, and not really spending much time refuting his material.
                  Life is change. Built models for decades.
                  Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                  I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Posted by Paul Maud'dib:

"In most of the posts concerning this film that I see, it seems most of the anti Gore lobby is really only interested in smearing Al's name, and not really spending much time refuting his material."

But smearing that corpulant, pompous, ignorant and arrogant wind-bags name is so much fun! Purile, smarmy, elitist pig that he is.

But let me not mince words, and state how I really feel.

Gore should go and visit the polar bears he says are drowning to extinction. At least he could provide them with a final feast.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post

Is it because Al Gore has been in politics that it is unwelcome in schools (by some)
                      Yes. Politics has no place in the classroom. Oh, of course politics enters into everything, but every effort should be made to keep politics and politicians out of the classroom. NO MATTER what their political affiliation.

If this debate is to be held in the classroom it should be done by academics and scientists.

Shall we go on a witch hunt for virtually any documentary if the spokesperson or narrator has had strong political activities in the past?
                      Yes. School should not be a political forum. It should be as neutral as possible.

I've seen a VERY long list of documentaries on darn near everything under the sun for topics.
                      And they don't need to be shown in schools if they have political content.

Again, I stress that I understand that politics enters into every aspect of life, but that doesn't mean we should not make every effort to keep it out of the schools.

In most of the posts concerning this film that I see, it seems most of the anti Gore lobby is really only interested in smearing Al's name
                      And I will smear it again. What right does a man who has a 30K electric bill and a Lexus "hybrid" that gets worse milage than my VW have to tell me to conserve? That takes a lot of nerve. I don't dislike him because of his position on global warming or his other politics, I dislike him because he expects me to make sacrifices that he will not. He lives very well yet wants to tell the average person to cut back. He has no credibility with me.

Now what I want to know is this. If his cause is so worthwhile, can't we find someone without the hypocritic baggage to be its champion? Can't someone else make the film? Can't we find someone better? Does it have to be a rich politician who will consume more this year than I will in my entire life? Come On!

Comment

Yes. Politics has no place in the classroom. Oh, of course politics enters into everything, but every effort should be made to keep politics and politicians out of the classroom. NO MATTER what their political affiliation.

If this debate is to be held in the classroom it should be done by academics and scientists.

Yes. School should not be a political forum. It should be as neutral as possible.

And they don't need to be shown in schools if they have political content.

Again, I stress that I understand that politics enters into every aspect of life, but that doesn't mean we should not make every effort to keep it out of the schools.

And I will smear it again. What right does a man who has a 30K electric bill and a Lexus "hybrid" that gets worse milage than my VW have to tell me to conserve? That takes a lot of nerve. I don't dislike him because of his position on global warming or his other politics, I dislike him because he expects me to make sacrifices that he will not. He lives very well yet wants to tell the average person to cut back. He has no credibility with me.

Now what I want to know is this. If his cause is so worthwhile, can't we find someone without the hypocritic baggage to be its champion? Can't someone else make the film? Can't we find someone better? Does it have to be a rich politician who will consume more this year than I will in my entire life? Come On!
                        Agreed! Did you see the film clips on FOX news' Hannity and Colmbs that showed Algore riding around the country on that hired corporate jet that is known for it's massive over-consumption rates of jet fuel, rather than ride more economically sound, commercial airlines like everyone else? Too funny! Just one more phoney, smarmy, condescending example of, "Don't do as I do! Do what I say!" from the Left-Wing.
                        "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

I wonder why the 'Global Warming' crowd never try to explain how or why the Antarctic has grown - not decreased...

DOh!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                            I wonder why the 'Global Warming' crowd never try to explain how or why the Antarctic has grown - not decreased...

DOh!

...or why global warming is currently occurring in all of the planets in our solar system.
                            If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post

DOh!

I wonder how it is, that the breakup of several massive iceshelfs is an increase?
                              Life is change. Built models for decades.
                              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X