Car Accident Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Accident Advice

I have a question here and maybe somebody out there knows??
    My wife yesterday opened her car door in a parking lot, it swinged opened and
    touched the car next to her giving it a small paint chip, no dent. A lady was
    sitting in the brand new car at the time and went into a fit.

My wife said sorry and gave the lady her license# and insurence co.

Here's my question, did my wife have to give her our Insurence co.? Because
    i thought if it is less than $500 you don't need to?

The lady promptly called our insurence this morning, who inturned called us.
    Were told tomarrow we will have a cost on the damage. Btw we have a
    deductable of $500. There's no way this is even close, so why drag our
    insurence co. into this so they can raise our rates??

Any advice would help thanks!
    Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Originally posted by lufttiger View Post
    I have a question here and maybe somebody out there knows??
    My wife yesterday opened her car door in a parking lot, it swinged opened and
    touched the car next to her giving it a small paint chip, no dent. A lady was
    sitting in the brand new car at the time and went into a fit.

My wife said sorry and gave the lady her license# and insurence co.

Here's my question, did my wife have to give her our Insurence co.? Because
    i thought if it is less than $500 you don't need to?

The lady promptly called our insurence this morning, who inturned called us.
    Were told tomarrow we will have a cost on the damage. Btw we have a
    deductable of $500. There's no way this is even close, so why drag our
    insurence co. into this so they can raise our rates??

Any advice would help thanks!
    If it's under $500 you don't need to call the Police. I'm no expert but you might be screwed on this. I'm sure she went and found her the biggest estimate she could find, even if a bottle of nail polish would fix it. I really don't know what to tell you. Sorry
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Well I am a insurance agent and will help any way I can.

Your liability will pay for the other person's damage, so your deductible does
      not come into play. Since she was sitting in the car, your wife did the right
      thing by giving your insurance info. If the damage was less than $500 it most
      likely will not effect your insurance at your next renewal, unless you have other claims in the meantime. The other option your wife could have used is
      to let the snooty lady know that you would pay for the damages out of your
      pocket, as to keep your insurance out of it- but now it is too late for that.
      Best thing now is to not let it worry you and wait and see what happens at
      renewal. If your insurance company charges you extra because of this claim,
      you can probably go to a different agency and possibly get by without the increase in rates. Hope this helps.
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

No harm done.

Your insurance does not raise if you end up paying out of your pocket. The question of whether the insurance got aware or the accident is irrelevant to that question.

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
          Well I am a insurance agent and will help any way I can.

Your liability will pay for the other person's damage, so your deductible does
          not come into play. Since she was sitting in the car, your wife did the right
          thing by giving your insurance info. If the damage was less than $500 it most
          likely will not effect your insurance at your next renewal, unless you have other claims in the meantime. The other option your wife could have used is
          to let the snooty lady know that you would pay for the damages out of your
          pocket, as to keep your insurance out of it- but now it is too late for that.
          Best thing now is to not let it worry you and wait and see what happens at
          renewal. If your insurance company charges you extra because of this claim,
          you can probably go to a different agency and possibly get by without the increase in rates. Hope this helps.
          Thats what i was looking for, thanks so much, i should find out tonight what
          the cost will be, i didn't know the deductable wouldn't come into play here.
          Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

You ought to pay it and see if the insurance company will ignore it.
            There was no ticket and your deductable lets them off.
            You should ask your company rather than an internet peanut gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung-si View Post
              You ought to pay it and see if the insurance company will ignore it.
              There was no ticket and your deductable lets them off.
              You should ask your company rather than an internet peanut gallery.
              Hey, I don't mind being grouped with a peanut gallery .... but I do
              know about insurance.

Repeat: your deductible does NOT apply on liability damages to others, it comes into play with damages to your vehicle if you have 'full' coverage (comprehensive and collision) and the claim is your fault.

Even if your insurance does have to pay out for the lady's damage, most states have a certain amount (say $1,000) that if you don't go over the insurance company will not charge you any extra at renewal. If they do
              charge you extra, there are several other ways you can get around it . I'll stay tuned .
              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X