X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do drinks affect you?

From another thread:
    Originally posted by Karri View Post
    Rum is the drink of the devil. For me at least...three rum&cokes for me and I blackout...and after that the 'savage' in me takes control.

Okay, I usually drink a lot of other drink before that, but rum seems to bring out the savage.
    This reminds me of my drinking days (they're far behind me now) and something that always struck me as odd: Different drinks would have very different effects on me. The alcohol is the main active ingredient, right? So why the big differences?

Anyhow, here's some of what I remember. How do your experiences compare?

Beer: Tended to make me irritable, feisty, and belligerent after a while.

Wine: Put me to sleep.

Vodka: Got me talking too much.

Bourbon: Put me in a good place and left me with little or no hangover. This turned out to be my drink of choice.

Scotch: Made me gag, then sick to my stomach.

Irish Whiskey: Similar enough to bourbon. Oddly, this didn't have the negative effect on me that scotch had.

Rum: Made me feel stupid and languid.

Cognac/Brandy: Mellowed me out; my second-favorite drink.

Sherry: Put me into a hellish place; liked the taste but hated the effect.

Gin: Only tried it once. Had to find out what a martini was like. Decided it was horrible and wondered why anyone would drink such things. (Well, I did have sloe gin and coke years before; it made me sick to the point where I never wanted to do that again.)

Guess that's enough. I'm sure there must be other beverages I'm forgetting. Saki, for instance; I tried that once but don't remember much about it.

How 'bout you?
    --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Originally posted by Patrick Carroll View Post
    Scotch: Made me gag, then sick to my stomach.
    My dog is the same way.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...1&d=1191939733
    DgDogToilet.jpg
    Attached Files
    ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
    ŅCualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

Drinks don't bother me - the people who consume them do...

Comment

Drinks don't affect me at all*

* I quit drinking in 1989.
        Barcsi JŠnos ispŠn vezťrőrnagy
        Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
        http://www.mormon.org
        http://www.sca.org
        http://www.scv.org/
        http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

I am 3 beer guy. Past 3 beers I start getting an effect.

When drunk I might not control the output audio so well but I tend to get quiet (non talkative) and boring when drunk.

I drink very little routinely though so I am not normally able to consume much.
          Life is change. Built models for decades.
          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Beer: Makes me tinkle far too much.

Wine: brings out self pity. (no-one loves me, blah blah blah) all those insecurities I donít ever dwell on without the wine.

Vodka: Gives me a headache.

Bourbon: Iíve never tried.

Scotch: Never tried.

Irish Whiskey: Warm and relaxed.

Rum: Mixed with strawberry kool-aide, threw up for two days. But then again I was only 14 years old and mixing it with all the snacks from the slumber party I attended when I drank this concoction surely didnít help.

Cognac/Brandy: I have to agree with mellowing.

Sherry: never had.

Gin: Only tasted it once. Like dry kerosene.

Tequila; Makes me do cartwheels.

I am not a big drinker, I have only been truly intoxicated about four times in my life. I only drink every couple of years and only a little, except when I splurged on a good bottle of wine and accidently polished it off in only three hours. Let me advise, no matter how great an expensive wine tastes going in, it tastes like a nightmare coming back the other way. And after all the running to the bathroom, I was pitiful enough to cry because my husband didnít feel in the romantic mood after all the sound effects of my affliction and all the pretty little visions my sickness created in his mind. Havenít drank a drop since, that was four years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by mmshell View Post
              And after all the running to the bathroom, I was pitiful enough to cry because my husband didnít feel in the romantic mood after all the sound effects of my affliction and all the pretty little visions my sickness created in his mind. Havenít drank a drop since, that was four years ago.
              Oh that is funny........I just don't know why he wasn't in the mood after that

Root beer and spicey ginger ales only for me
              As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
              Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Janos View Post
                Drinks don't affect me at all*

* I quit drinking in 1989.
                What a coincidence. That's about the last year I had a drink too (except for once, the year before last, when my wife and I ordered non-alcoholic wine at a restaurant and were served real wine instead--but we only had a few sips).

I have to say I was never a social drinker -- the kind who enjoys just having a drink or two with company, then stopping. I tried that at one point, but I hated the feeling of having my mind partly clouded. I didn't find it relaxing or enjoyable; it was just uncomfortable and annoying.

After extensive experimentation, I discovered what worked best for me: Drinking anywhere between a half pint and pint of bourbon (the first couple shots with water; straight after that). That altered my consciousness in a way I liked. And if I drank plenty of water before going to bed, I could even avoid the hangover next day.

Shortly after making that discovery, I overindulged one night, got sick as a dog, and realized I didn't like drinking anymore. It was making me sick and doing me harm, and nothing good was coming of it. So I quit. Haven't had a drink since, and I don't plan to.
                --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

I've found I'm affected by drinks all the same. Though oddly enough I retain my normal mental capacities, just a lot slower.... OR else I would have done something stupid that other drunken morons try to convince you. I think i found that somewhere around 16+ drinks (Can't tell since a cup is who knows how many servings) I get full or sick and tired. Anything will eventually put me to sleep (probably like most people).
                  The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Beer: Depends on the amount. Usually I get sleepy...but it seems to be a good starter for me if I don't drink too much of it. Sometimes though, when drinking way too much, I get very hyperactive and out of control.

Wine: Don't like...never gotten drunk on wine. Unless you count that 'wine' my grandmother made, which caused me the worst hangover ever.

Vodka: Good stuff. Get's me drunk, doesn't really have any other effect.

Whiskey: I don't like whiskey at all. Thus never really gotten drunk with it.

Rum: As said...brings out the animal in me. Not that I would start picking fights, just that I get pretty agressive. And do things that make no sense.

Cognac/Brandy: No special effects....

Gin: Apart from making me feel sicks, no effects.

Tequila: One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Moonshine:
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonshine#Finland

If it's that really really strong kind...well it causes blackouts. Never gonna drink it again.

EDIT:
                    Unless drinking way too much, I usually don't lose my grip on reality. As BB said, just a lot slower.
                    Last edited by Karri; 08 Oct 07, 11:35.
                    Wisdom is personal

Comment

Drinking really doesn't affect me at all, other than I get alot more relaxed, happy and laid back as the evening progresses. It must be the Polish in me. A long time ago, my Uncle, (who is only four years older than me) and I engaged in a night-long "drinkfest" while watching movies and talking until the wee hours of the morning, whereupon we crashed for the night.

The next morning, while sitting bleary-eyed at the breakfast table over our morning coffee, my Uncle silently took stock of all the empty beer and liquor bottles, littering the coffee tables. He whistled softly before saying. "Boy, it's a good thing that we're Polish. What we drank last night would have killed a normal human being."
                      "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

It generally amplifies whatever mood I am in when I started drinking, which why I don't drink when angry or upset!

Comment

When I was younger it didn't seem to matter. A little of anything was fine and too much of anything was bad. Also the calories were actually a side benefit as I was always on the go!

Now days - it still doesn't matter. One of almost anything puts me to sleep!
                          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

I can handle 1 or 2 beers, get a pleasant buzz going, as long as I'm headed to bed in a couple hours. After that, I start feeling pretty crummy. 3 or more beers, my wife says I get obnoxious and talkative. I'll have to take her at her word on that (I don't think I'm obnoxious! ).
                            Hard liquor- headache
                            Red wine- ditto
                            White wine-ditto

During my college (aka drinking) days, I was the classic binge drinker on weekends and spent enough time driving the porcelain bus that I ought to have gotten a license or something. A few times waking up from a dead sleep in parking lots, and you begin to get the sense that something is amiss.....

Now typically, since I know that a) it's going to put me to sleep, and b) the calories are going to land squarely (or should I say lumpishly) on my mid-section, I make sure that I'm drinking good stuff, and rarely far from my pillow for the night. More often than not I just don't.

Comment

Originally posted by jthomas View Post
                              I can handle 1 or 2 beers, get a pleasant buzz going, as long as I'm headed to bed in a couple hours. After that, I start feeling pretty crummy. 3 or more beers, my wife says I get obnoxious and talkative. I'll have to take her at her word on that (I don't think I'm obnoxious! ).
                              Hard liquor- headache
                              Red wine- ditto
                              White wine-ditto

During my college (aka drinking) days, I was the classic binge drinker on weekends and spent enough time driving the porcelain bus that I ought to have gotten a license or something. A few times waking up from a dead sleep in parking lots, and you begin to get the sense that something is amiss.....

Now typically, since I know that a) it's going to put me to sleep, and b) the calories are going to land squarely (or should I say lumpishly) on my mid-section, I make sure that I'm drinking good stuff, and rarely far from my pillow for the night. More often than not I just don't.
                              I was always taught that it you're going to drink, then make sure that you eat something first and also make sure that you're properly hydrated before you begin imbibing. Lots of guys go half mad once they're doing some serious boozing because they were dehydrated to begin with and the alcohol hits them like a sledge hammer.
                              "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X