The value of a dollar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The value of a dollar

Just curious as I have not seen a lot of discussion about it here.

But considering the Canadian dollar is TODAY (that can always change of course) worth more than the US dollar, I am just curious to know if this will be impacting any of the spending habits of anyone here.

Christmas isn't too far away, and a lot of things come FROM the US not Canada. What this of course means is a lot of Canadians will no doubt have a lot more buying power this Christmas season.

I don't really have much in the way of wargames I need actually or this would be an ideal time to get them. But I suspect for instance that Matrix Games will be able to please Canadians quite a lot this Christmas.
    Models well I am unsure many buy much through internet means.
    Books well I think this might be a good time for me to score some items online to fill a few holes in my library.

Ideally I realize that in the long run a high Canadian dollar won't be ideally beneficial to the Canadian dollar and logically you would think the Canadian government would take actual steps to reverse this.

How is the lower dollar effecting the buying interests of the US members here?
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Doesn't seem higher atm, 1 USD=0.98 CAD according to the Bank Of Canada. The Euro on the other hand has never been that high, 1 EUR=1.40 USD, got me a very good price on my Vietnam Magazine subscritption lately because of that

Comment

Great for us at the moment. 1 Latvian LAT = 2 US Dollar, only postage is a problem!!
      Wolster

Comment

On the other hand, due to inflation, the US Dollar is worth slighlty less than 50 cents...
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
          On the other hand, due to inflation, the US Dollar is worth slighlty less than 50 cents...
          Yeah I saw a News article on the BBC about that. Apparently due to the cost of the metals increasing it's getting close to the point where it's more economical to melt the Pennies down and then to by the metal outright.

And the bad news is that 1USD =1.38DM...
          Last edited by Listy; 08 Oct 07, 09:51.
          Winnie says
          ---------------------------------
          "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
          Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
            And the bad news is that 1USD =1.38DM...
            Yeah, that's pretty ugly. That's one of the few good sides to my returning to the USA from Germany last year.

My son actually made some money currency speculating when he was younger (I think he was 8 or 9). I gave him the option several years ago of getting his allowance in dollars or Euro. He opted for Euro and saved them. As the Euro got stronger, he made more money, even out-pacing inflation.
            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
            http://www.mormon.org
            http://www.sca.org
            http://www.scv.org/
            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Details will vary, I use a popular currency site online, and this was their result 5 seconds ago.

1.00 CAD = 1.01367 USD

Now that's not likely binding or official at any rate. Not sure how rapidly their site updates either.
              Life is change. Built models for decades.
              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Janos View Post
                Yeah, that's pretty ugly. That's one of the few good sides to my returning to the USA from Germany last year.
                Ummm the DM hasn't been used as legal tender for 8 years...
                Winnie says
                "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                Herr Flick.

Comment

Calculators

Here are a couple online calculators. This first one shows exchange rates:
                  http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

And this second one shows how the value of a dollar has changed over the years. For instance, you can type in your birth year, then 2006, and see what X dollars was worth then and is worth now.
                  http://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/compare/
                  --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Living in EURO land and having a large amount of the income in $'s it SUCKS. Thank You Geroge!

Thank you George for the Huge Foreign Debt that YOU have accumulated. Spending with out the money is just totally stupid, but then.....................

HP
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                      Living in EURO land and having a large amount of the income in $'s it SUCKS. Thank You Geroge!

Thank you George for the Huge Foreign Debt that YOU have accumulated. Spending with out the money is just totally stupid, but then.....................

HP
                      I get paid in $ as well. My company pays us Brits extra dollars to make up as though the exchange rate were actually £1 = $1.65. They had to do this as they were losing (British) people left right and centre.
                      Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
                        I get paid in $ as well. My company pays us Brits extra dollars to make up as though the exchange rate were actually £1 = $1.65. They had to do this as they were losing (British) people left right and centre.
                        1.65 is still less than the current exchange rate, IIRC it's about 1.9 now, if not 2.
                        Winnie says

It was an Accident."
                        Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
                          1.65 is still less than the current exchange rate, IIRC it's about 1.9 now, if not 2.
                          Exactly!!! Curret is 2:1, I get paid at 1.65:1 so if I was paid $100 at the current exchange rate I would get £50. Put the company puts extra $ in my pay so I recieve £60.

Or another way, when the exchange rate was 1.65:1 i would recieve £60 for every $100 they paid me. As the exchange rate changed, I was still paid $100 but now that means I only get £50. Why stay with the company when I can get more from a british company. So they add extra $ so I take home £60 still. Not really a pay rise because my American back to back still only gets $100. In real terms, we are both receiving what we did a few years back.

Wolster

Comment

In some areas this works out extremely poorly for Canadians. For example, many video games (for the new systems) are still $70 Canadian. But they're $60 here.
                            “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

A weak dollar is good for American exporting businesses, as Boonie's example shows. A strong dollar is good for American importing businesses.

How any one of us feels about the current dollar price is based on which side of this equation we find ourselves and our source of income.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X