Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rum

(or: "Why Parents Can Be Handy")

My mom and dad live in the West Indies, in the US Virgin Islands to be specific. They make it up for a visit a couple times a year, and usually bring with them a bottle or two of rum made on the island (Cruzan Rum -- good stuff). It runs about $3.99 a bottle there, for what would probably be 4 times that much in a stateside liquor store.

Anyway, they are preparing to pull up roots and move back to the states within the next few months, and I joked with them about having to find a new rum importer. Apparently they took it to heart, as my mom showed up with five (5) bottles of rum this visit!

So in addition to what's already in my cabinet, I've now got the following bottles:

- Cruzan Estate Light Rum (a bit too sweet for me to do straight, but a good mixer)
    - Cruzan Estate Dark Rum (mmmm...)
    - Myers's Original Dark Rum
    - Gosling's Black Seal
    - Ron Barceló Añejo

I have not ever tried those last three, so I'm kind of excited. Grand total for all 5 bottles was around $38. (Why duty-free shopping is a Good Thing.)

So... now I'm busy "making room" in my cabinet for my five new friends. If anyone's ever in the Pittsburgh area, stop by for a drink.
    "I am not an atomic playboy."
    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Gosling's is good stuff. You'll enjoy that one!

Comment

Gee thought for just a second there you were going to say you were running out of space.....
      Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
      Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
      David Bowie

Comment

Rum was my first drink. I was under age and had no idea what to order. The guy next to me ordered Rum and Coke and so that was that.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
          Rum was my first drink. I was under age and had no idea what to order. The guy next to me ordered Rum and Coke and so that was that.
          I go to admit I've never had anything stronger than 17% which is like Boubinr, Ginger wine which i've had a few swigs of, umm Sherry,Port, Whiskey so I would like to know what rum taists like to till you the truth and i'm only 18 so don't start the what you havn't had rum talk
          http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
            (or: "Why Parents Can Be Handy")

My mom and dad live in the West Indies, in the US Virgin Islands to be specific. They make it up for a visit a couple times a year, and usually bring with them a bottle or two of rum made on the island (Cruzan Rum -- good stuff). It runs about $3.99 a bottle there, for what would probably be 4 times that much in a stateside liquor store.

Anyway, they are preparing to pull up roots and move back to the states within the next few months, and I joked with them about having to find a new rum importer. Apparently they took it to heart, as my mom showed up with five (5) bottles of rum this visit!

So in addition to what's already in my cabinet, I've now got the following bottles:

- Cruzan Estate Light Rum (a bit too sweet for me to do straight, but a good mixer)
            - Cruzan Estate Dark Rum (mmmm...)
            - Myers's Original Dark Rum
            - Gosling's Black Seal
            - Ron Barceló Añejo

I have not ever tried those last three, so I'm kind of excited. Grand total for all 5 bottles was around $38. (Why duty-free shopping is a Good Thing.)

So... now I'm busy "making room" in my cabinet for my five new friends. If anyone's ever in the Pittsburgh area, stop by for a drink.
            Myer's Dark is an excellent rum!
            "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Dark Appleton from Jamacia A Sweeter rum. Very good as a Rum and Coke and in anything else.
              “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
              “To talk of many things:
              Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              And why the sea is boiling hot—
              And whether pigs have wings.”
              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                Myer's Dark is an excellent rum!
                I am not sure, but think we used to substitute that for well liquor in pina coladas at a bar I used to work at. Good stuff!

Comment

Rum is the drink of the devil. For me at least...three rum&cokes for me and I blackout...and after that the 'savage' in me takes control.

Okay, I usually drink a lot of other drink before that, but rum seems to bring out the savage.
                  Wisdom is personal

Comment

You should also try Sailor Jerry's dark rum..Its like 90-95 proof, but is real smooth and very tasty... Have you ever tried spiced rum with coke and a slice of Key Lime?
                    You put the lime in the coke you nut and drink it all up....

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                      I am not sure, but think we used to substitute that for well liquor in pina coladas at a bar I used to work at. Good stuff!
                      I also use it to spice up my fruitcakes at Christmastime. I mascerate and boil the raisens and fruitcake fruit in Myers Rum and it really gives the finished fruitcake a nice flavor.

Comment

I also use it to spice up my fruitcakes at Christmastime. I mascerate and boil the raisens and fruitcake fruit in Myers Rum and it really gives the finished fruitcake a nice flavor.
                        Can you add me to your fruitcake mailing list?

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                          Can you add me to your fruitcake mailing list?
                          I'll see what I can do!.

Comment

Tanduay ESQ, or Tanduay Especial.......Best Rhums in the world!
                            Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
                            In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
                            Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

OH MY GOD !! A fruitcake someone would actually like to get...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X