Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon. How do you like it, thick or thin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon. How do you like it, thick or thin?

Okay! The sun is just over the horizon and the cool, early morning dew is still on the grass. You've crawled out of your bedroll and either fired up the Coleman stove, or found some live embers, from last night's campfire, on which to enkindle a new fire. The coffee can wait til later.

What do you place into your cast-iron skillet? Thick or thin bacon?

Me? I'll go with some hand cut, THICK, traditionally smoked, slab-bacon, lovingly laid into the skillet, cooked to perfection and its grease saved to cook the hash-brown potatoes and eggs in.

Ummmm! Bacon! What say you guys/gals?.
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Thick and not to crisp, and not just for breakfast. I love mixing bacon in with friend potatoes and onions "Volker style". I also like it layered with peanut butter, "Ami style". Great stuff.
    ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
    ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

Hmmm think we need a breakfast thread.

Thick cooked and chewy but not raw. But I don't like crips.
      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Thick........makes better pig candy.
        As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
        Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
          Okay!
          Thick or thin bacon?
          To me, size does not matter.
          What does matter is that the bacon isn't crisp.
          I will eat it crisp, but I like it soft and pliant.
          I can eat a whole pound, no problem.

Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich
          Crisp wood-smoked bacon. Thick slices of juicy, vine-ripened tomatoes. Leafy lettuce with a slather of creamy mayonnaise. All brought together on toasted sourdough bread. Who doesn't love a BLT?

"Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Thin and extra crispy

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post
              Who doesn't love a BLT?

I don't that way but make one with a nicy country style dijon mustard and I'm all over it
              As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
              Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post
                To me, size does not matter.
                What does matter is that the bacon isn't crisp.
                I will eat it crisp, but I like it soft and pliant.
                I can eat a whole pound, no problem.

Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich
                Crisp wood-smoked bacon. Thick slices of juicy, vine-ripened tomatoes. Leafy lettuce with a slather of creamy mayonnaise. All brought together on toasted sourdough bread. Who doesn't love a BLT?

Oh Slug yer makin' me hungry! I've had several BLT's this year with my homegrown tomatoes, nothing better on earth IMHO. I like my bacon thin and semi crisp. Gotta go see if we have any bacon I've a hankerin' for a BLT now!!
                "Every man should be his own Guru; every woman her own Gurette" ...Ed Abbey

Comment

Thick enough to scoop up eggs is the rule.
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I have bacon with far too many meals to expect to live to a long age.. but I love it so.

Like most on here, thick cut, not too crispy.
                    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Okay! The sun is just over the horizon and the cool, early morning dew is still on the grass. You've crawled out of your bedroll and either fired up the Coleman stove, or found some live embers, from last night's campfire, on which to enkindle a new fire. The coffee can wait til later.

What do you place into your cast-iron skillet? Thick or thin bacon?

Me? I'll go with some hand cut, THICK, traditionally smoked, slab-bacon, lovingly laid into the skillet, cooked to perfection and its grease saved to cook the hash-brown potatoes and eggs in.

Ummmm! Bacon! What say you guys/gals?.
                      Oh, the vital issues we choose to discuss here in the Barracks.

My mom used to practically burn the bacon, and that's the only way I'll usually eat it: cooked to a crackly crisp, where it's not bendy at all and there's not a speck of white showing. I guess thin bacon is best for that.

Also, the leaner, the better. I like to turn a blind eye to the fact that bacon is naturally fatty, because if I thought about it, I wouldn't eat it.

In restaurants, I used to try ordering "crisp bacon," but that often didn't work. So I tried, "extra crispy," but I'd still get a rubbery piece now and then. Finally, I started saying, "If the chef will burn the bacon -- I mean really cook it so that it's nearly, or even literally, burnt -- I'll have bacon; otherwise I'll have sausage instead."

All that said, last week I went to an Irish pub (here in the Twin Cities, USA) and had a BLT made with "Irish rasher bacon." The waitress warned me that it wasn't the bacon I was probably used to -- it's thicker and more like ham. But I tried it anyway, and it was pretty good. I've never cared much for ham, and this "rasher bacon" was fattier than I'd have liked. But it was OK. I might order it again, though I prefer the corned-beef sandwich I had the week before.

Utterly disgusting to me was something I saw my brother-in-law do once. He cooked his own bacon one morning, because he said everybody else does it wrong. He heated the skillet, laid out two or three strips of fatty, thin bacon and let them sizzle for two seconds. Then he flipped them over and sizzled them two seconds on the other side. And onto his plate they went, looking almost like they hadn't been cooked at all. Yecch!
                      --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Both!!!

I also like it on my cheesburgers.
                        On a smoked turkey sub.
                        Crumbled in my green beans with a little onion.
                        Diced in my baked beans.
                        In my poultry stuffing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvxgM3lr-mg

I was the original model for this commercial but they said the dog was more believable and besides I was drooling too much.
                        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

The coffee can wait til later.
                          No it can't... Oh, no... it simply can't...

Coffeeeeeee !!!

That said... any thickness, crispy like it was never part of some critter that rooted about in the earth for Franco-fungi clusters !
                          " Reality is interpretation according to a scheme which we cannot escape "

Comment

Originally posted by Lokinar View Post
                            No it can't... Oh, no... it simply can't...

Coffeeeeeee !!!

That said... any thickness, crispy like it was never part of some critter that rooted about in the earth for Franco-fungi clusters !
                            Wit'cha on the coffee Lokinar! Bacon thickness doesn't matter, just so its not too crispy.

I wonder how the way people like their bacon compares with the way they like their jerky? I'm the same for both.......especially the deer jerky!
                            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

What, doesn't anybody else out there like bacon?!
                              "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X