My grand experiment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My grand experiment.

Ladies and Gentlemen I'm requesting a bit of participation and fun from those of you that have time on your hands. After having a discussion with a fellow Marine about always missing laundry I've decided to conduct an experiment:

Next week. I will be inventorying my clothing as I put it into the washing machine, again as I move it to the dryer, and a final time when I pull it out of the dryer. I think the hypothesis should be something about no matter how hard you try, somehow an article will turn up missing.

the only sad factor in all of this is that people around here have a bad habit of yanking your clothes out of the washer and putting them in a dryer or yanking them out of a dryer and putting them on top for you to find the next time you go to the laundry room.

I'd like to ask anyone that thinks this is crazy but could be fun, to participate as well and we'll compare our results.

**Insert Family Guy clip of the dryer to Narnia**
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

I have also noticed that for example when washing pillow cases and regular laundry like socks, some of the socks end up inside the pillow cases. There must be someone doing this...I mean this stuff just can't go there by itself...I have this theory called Intelligent Organizer...
    Wisdom is personal

Comment

Well I won't stand for it anymore. Who is with me!?
      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Comment

here here I'm with you
        "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
        "

Comment

I've never worn out a pair of socks. They just gradually disappear and eventually I have to buy more. The only problem with your theory is, we already know our clothing disappears, the question is to where? Now if we could affix a microcamera to a said sock or other article of clothing prone to disappearance and moniter it we might be able to figure out whether they head for the netherworld, some planet inhabited by an Egyptain deity looking kind of alien creature, or a hellish planet infested with flying skulls and skeletal creatures with rocket launchers on their shoulders.

I am convinced they go to one of those three destinations.
          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

It's actually an evil conspiracy between the Cotton Growers of America and the Wool Ranchers Association headed by none other than Doc Sinister to gain control of the worlds' clothing markets. See every other sock is made of a genetically engineered wool or cotton. The genes in these are designed to disintegrate and end up in the pockets of your pants after no less than five washings, forcing you to buy another pair (hence why socks only come in pairs, not singles, forcing you to spend more and keep them in business!). The key to beat them at their own game is to buy two pairs of identical socks everytime you shop for them. Given the odds, you should get at least get one durable pair out of your purchase. Or even better, join a commune and wear sandals (unless you like to wear socks with sandals).

you asked!
            Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

Comment

Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
              I've never worn out a pair of socks. They just gradually disappear and eventually I have to buy more. The only problem with your theory is, we already know our clothing disappears, the question is to where? Now if we could affix a microcamera to a said sock or other article of clothing prone to disappearance and moniter it we might be able to figure out whether they head for the netherworld, some planet inhabited by an Egyptain deity looking kind of alien creature, or a hellish planet infested with flying skulls and skeletal creatures with rocket launchers on their shoulders.

I am convinced they go to one of those three destinations.
              All very real possibilities!

Comment

Originally posted by Arkane View Post
                The key to beat them at their own game is to buy two pairs of identical socks everytime you shop for them. Given the odds, you should get at least get one durable pair out of your purchase.
                Not only are single socks a maddening thing, but matching them up in pairs every time you wash is a complete nightmare in tedium.

After years of frustrated thought on the topic I finally figured out the solution. Buy a whole bunch of identical socks! Then, you just toss them in the drawer and pick any two to make a pair. Lose one and you never even know it unless you get to the last sock in the drawer! Lose two and you can't even tell.

I did this and it worked! Life was heaven. I had a drawer full of identical plain white socks (with a few odd balls included). Then, along comes my well meaning girlfriend. "Oh, my dear Pirate obviously loves plain white socks but he needs more of them." So, my lovely girlfriend buys me some more plain white socks, and more, and more. However, she didn't get the concept and all the plain white socks were now DIFFERENT!!!!!

Trying to match subtle varieties of plain white socks was the worst thing in my life! I'm so anal retentive that wearing a mismatched pair it not an option. Arrrrrggh!

A life went on, that relationship ended and now I had another opportunity to test my "sock theory". However, I already had a drawer full of white socks so I switched to black socks. I went out and bought three bags (18 pairs) of plain BLACK socks. Pure genius I say!

Eventually (5 years?) I wore out all those odd white socks and replaced the entire batch with 18 pairs of identical white socks to augment my 18 pair of black sock. Ah, now life is grand and sorting socks is no longer a part of my life. Call it "sock therapy" if you like. Yes, the little things in life can be so fullfilling.

Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

Day One:
                  Date:Sunday September 30, 2007
                  Time:1154 Hours (GMT+9)
                  Atmospheric Temperature: 64 degrees Farenheit
                  Cloud Cover: Overcast
                  Whats on TV: Chronicles of Narnia

Articles of Clothing placed into Whirlpool model Washer, set for Medium Load, hot/cold water and a Extra Clean/Regular Cycle:
                  5x pairs of shorts (3 civilian, 2 PT)
                  2x T-Shirts (PCHS Dragons Scholastic Bowl, Iron Maiden Concert)
                  3x Skivvie shirts, Green
                  4x Socks, Boot, Black

All articles were confirmed going into the Washing Machine.

Hypothesis: Objects of low mass and volume will disappear at random intervals either when placing, transferring, or recovering clothing articles from a washer/dryer. Possibilities of a phase shift in basic matter or a trans-dimensional portal may give clues as to where socks and even t-shirts*) go.

*Yes I have lost a t-shirt while doing laundry... don't know how though.
                  Last edited by BarcelonaBlom; 29 Sep 07, 21:46.

Comment

Day One:
                    Time:1314 Hours (GMT+9)
                    Atmospheric Temperature: 66 degrees Farenheit
                    Cloud Cover: Partly Cloudy
                    Whats on TV: News

Articles of Clothing transferred to Whirlpool model Dryer set for a 70 Perm. press clean:
                    3x Skivvie shirts, Green
                    4x Socks, Boot, Black

All articles were inventoried. None lost.... yet >:P

Comment

Day One:
                      Time:1436 Hours (GMT+9)
                      Atmospheric Temperature: 67 degrees Farenheit
                      Cloud Cover: Partly Cloudy
                      Whats on TV: Deja Vu

Articles of Clothing recovered from whirlpool model dryer and inventoried:
                      3x Skivvie shirts, Green
                      4x Socks, Boot, Black

All articles were present.

Conclusions for today: Possibly the alignment of the planets and the sun's gravitational and magnetic effects made conditions wrong for the opening of trans-dimensional portals? We shall see in later experiments.

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom View Post
                        Conclusions for today: Possibly the alignment of the planets and the sun's gravitational and magnetic effects made conditions wrong for the opening of trans-dimensional portals? We shall see in later experiments.
                        Hsst! Quiet, they might be listening. They never open a portal if you're watching.

Articles of Clothing recovered from whirlpool model dryer and inventoried:
                        3x Skivvie shirts, Green
                        4x Socks, Boot, Black
                        Are you sure they're the same items you put in? My pants keep getting replaced by duds from some smaller guy with identical taste.
                        All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

Conclusion from day 1. If you list it, you wont loose it. LOL!
                          All warfare is based on deception.
                          Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

All hail Intelligent Organizer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
                              All hail Intelligent Organizer!!

C'mon Martok, you know that I.O. isn't real science!

All the evidence seems to point instead to Buddy Lee's Theory of Clothing Transmutation. It states that certain socks, over time, have a chance of randomly mutating into a new species of clothing or, in most cases, becoming water and disappearing.

You can't doubt it: it's science!

She blinded me with science!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X