Can an eagle kill & eat a fox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an eagle kill & eat a fox?

I found this remarkable image online but I have no way of knowing if the eagle actually killed and consumed the fox.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Can an eagle kill a fox? That I'm not sure of, but I have with my own eyes seen eagle eating a fox.
    The Upper Delaware River Valley is home to a large population of American Bald Eagles. One winter perhaps ten years ago a buddy and I were driving along the river and saw an eagle on the ice chowing down on something about the size of a small dog. We pulled over and with the field glasses he always carries in his glove box, could clearly make out it was a fox.
    Now, eagle are know in deep winter to eat carrion, so chances are that the animal was found dead and brought on to the ice. Either way, this eagle was eating a fox.
    ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
    ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

Where was the image found?
      “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Absolutely they can kill a fox. The energy they carry when coming down on prey and the claws have a very high chance of disabling the fox on the first strike.

The eagle in the picture seemed to have screwed up, as it's not working this time around.

However, you can see that there's a fresh cadaver lying around and a madge or related bird getting away, so the fox and the bird were having lunch. The eagle probably attacked the fox just to chase it away from the meal.

Comment

The Siberians trained eagles to hunt wolves. The sheer impact of a stooping eagle - known as a berkut - broke the wolf's neck.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Dang , that is one big-a bird. I've seen some videos of hawks attacking
            small deer so I guess it could. It does look as if the eagle is really just after
            the dead animal on the ground, but he did snatch the fox off the ground- I bet it at least scared the crap out of the fox.
            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

I've gotten that picture in my email half a dozen times now. Time to check Snopes...
              1. Even if you could make something idiot proof they would just go out and build a better idiot.
              2. The road to hell is paved by a hard working asphalt crew of meddlesome legislators.

Comment

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/eaglefox.asp

It seems that the picture is real, but not in Montana as the emails always claim.
                1. Even if you could make something idiot proof they would just go out and build a better idiot.
                2. The road to hell is paved by a hard working asphalt crew of meddlesome legislators.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
                  The eagle in the picture seemed to have screwed up, as it's not working this time around.
                  Too me it looked like the fox was jumping the eagle (who was prolly eating "Dead Animal"™) and the eagle leapt back in time to avoid the fox.

But that's my untrained opinion.

They both attacked each other at the same time!

Comment

We have the very occasional small dog taken by eagles here. But eagles are really s*&#$ hawks. They would rather scavenge dead fish or the local dump than hunt. It's possible that in this picture the eagle is just competing for the carcass on the ground.

Comment

read the link I provided above....

Here, look at the series of photos.

http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/inde...12071&lang=fin

Comment

Yes , eagles can kill foxes. I have seen the remains of the foxes it has killed .
                        “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Coming in late. Can an eagle kill a fox? Yes. Would an eagle eat a fox? Perhaps. But this is a scavanger fight.

Edit: Oops; should have read the rest of the replies first. My bad.
                          Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                            We have the very occasional small dog taken by eagles here. But eagles are really s*&#$ hawks. They would rather scavenge dead fish or the local dump than hunt. It's possible that in this picture the eagle is just competing for the carcass on the ground.
                            When the American Bald Eagle was first proposed as the National symbol, Benjamin Franklin fought the notion tooth and nail saying pretty much what Duncan has above.

Franklin's opinion was that the wild turkey was a much more suitable candidate.

The attached shot is a Bald Eagle on the ice of our lake, and they have been seen picking through dumpsters.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...attach/jpg.gif
                            Attached Files
                            ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
                            ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

Can an eagle kill a fox? Yes

As long as it has a small game license.
                              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X