Civil Discourse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil Discourse

When I was a child, my Grandpa would drag me along to visit his friend Paul. You can imagine my joy. Grandpa was a lifelong straight ticket Democrat voter and Paul was just as devoted to the Republicans. They had rousing arguments that meant nothing to me. But, I never heard either curse the other or question his character. They disagreed on virtually everything and still parted civilly as the best of friends with plans for a rematch the next week.

As an adult, I have a circle of close friends that I get together with on a regular basis. We are as varied on our views as any opponents on any forum I have visited. Our discussions can be epic and loud, but never personal, and we remain solid friends.

For years I have noticed a distinct lack of that civil discourse on this forum and others I frequent, as well as in the public arena. Should anyone dare to disagree with a self-evidently true position, the mud and fur begin to fly. Liberal, neo-con, atheist, religious zealot, traitor, bleeding heart, liar, idiot....the list is endless. And all too often, the response is not to the gist of the opponentís argument, but to some minute detail or singular interpretation.

Should we blame this on the anonymity of the web or on the example set by public figures at all levels? What happened to the days when Tip OíNeal and Ronald Reagan were harsh foes on the job and swapping jokes that evening?

I suppose itís too late to return to the days when politeness, even forced, was the norm, but I do miss them.

This rant is not intended as a defense of any particular policy, and definitely not in support of PC or cultural relativism. I loathe both concepts. I just think we could all benefit by just agreeing to disagree and letting it go at that.
    All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Originally posted by kentek View Post
    I suppose itís too late to return to the days when politeness was the norm.

Comment

Penny Arcade assesses it nicely:
      http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Comment

There was an excellent PSA brought to us by the fellows from Roosterteeth which describes this phenomena to a tee:

http://gprime.net/video.php/reallifevsinternet
        Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

Comment

Originally posted by Arkane View Post
          There was an excellent PSA brought to us by the fellows from Roosterteeth which describes this phenomena to a tee:

Perfect.

Comment

I forgot about the national debt.

What happened to the days when Tip OíNeal and Ronald Reagan were harsh foes on the job and swapping jokes that evening?
            Ronald Reagan had undiagnosed Alzheimer's dementia.

Tip O'Neil had never diagnosed Alzheimer's dementia.

So when the two got together at the end of the day

they could hardly remember their own names, much less remember what happened that day,

so there was nothing to argue about.

I suppose itís too late to return to the days when politeness, even forced, was the norm, but I do miss them.
            Just get a lobotomy and it will all come back again.

Repeat: ten trillion dollars national debt is not a number.

Comment

"For years I have noticed a distinct lack of that civil discourse on this forum and others I frequent, as well as in the public arena."

Contrast is everything I suppose.

My thread goes into more detail, so I will just link it and leave it say my piece.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=55450
              Life is change. Built models for decades.
              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkane View Post

I voted for Nader! I hate everyone!

Classic!

Man, I always liked Red v. Blue.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyPilotUU View Post

they could hardly remember their own names, much less remember what happened that day,

Reagan Smash!

Wow, Skypilot didn't reference Mohammad or Jesus in that post. Is that a first?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyPilotUU View Post

Now I'm really worried. That almost made sense.
                    All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

There are members here of both conservative or more liberal attitude that ARE able to discuss issues but there aren't many. I think it may come down to a basic psychological phenomenon where any 'attack' on what I say equals and 'attack' on me.
                      Personally, I've found here that spirited 'debate' is interesting, fun and quite good for my mind...the rest is just dull now. I learned early that I won't be changing anybody's mind here so I say my piece and forget it usually. It's when the 'opposition' starts getting bogged down in semantics that it really tickles me though.

You know who you are too.
                      The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                      Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X