Any cricket fans in here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any cricket fans in here?

Just a couple of days ago, I watched some cricket for the first time and it's growing on me since.
    Right now there's a Twenty20 World Championship in South Africa and I was wondering if any of our members are following that competition.
    All warfare is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

I really like the game, but I don't follow the sport at all. Fun to watch, though.
    "I am not an atomic playboy."
    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Yep, I sure enjoy it. Twenty20 seems to be a lot faster thant the traditional games. One day I'll have to watch one of the "classic" games.

Comment

Cricket tragic here, just watched the Aussies demolition of Bangladesh last night with some big games to come.
        Should be worth watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
          Yep, I sure enjoy it. Twenty20 seems to be a lot faster thant the traditional games. One day I'll have to watch one of the "classic" games.
          The five day tests is where the true form of cricket is played out mate, worth a try if you get a chance to watch... five days on the couch watching cricket.
          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
          Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

Twenty20 is okay, but ditch the female commentator please. That's just not right.

Test are only good if you're there, much prefer one dayers on the telly.
            Now listening too;
            - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

This is more likely. With so many Australian and British members I expected to see more people coming here and saying how proudly they were about their teams.
              I was personally impressed by West Indies, Chris Gayle first game. They lost, but he was fantastic.
              I hope they'll keep showing cricket, I would love to see one of those one day or ive days tests. Next time I go to England I'll try to go see a live game.

Comment

We watch the cricket in our house over summer but we're not tragics.
                I like the one day games best (50 overs each for the Cap.'s benefit). Long enough for a bit more strategy but short enough not to get slow. I like the 20/20 and tests too for different reasons. I personally don't mind the female commentator...beats Richie's inane banter.
                The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Cricket is a wonderful game. An acquired taste though for some. I mean Test matches for example. You can play for 5 days and still nobody wins.lol Test matches are much more tactical than say 20 20 which is a slogging game.The Aussies should be very proud of their team especially the one a couple of years ago. Shane Warne is/was just awesome. His ability as a sportsmen should be up there with Pele or Micheal Jordan. I wonder what Mike Gatting would think of that eh Australia. That was probably the best team ever assembled. Mcgrah, Warne, Ponting, Lee,Waugh Gilchrist etc. Fantastic and thats from a Pom.The fact that England beat that team in the Ashes in 2005 was such an achievement ( couldnt keep it going though suprise suprise) A couple of those test matches were some of the greatest sporting spectacles I've ever seen/heard . I remember sitting in a traffic jam with test match special on the radio and you could see people around me in cars shouting at the radio. A football match I was playing in was postponed for about 10 mins coz we were around a radio listening to us trying to get the last man Bret Lee out when they only need a few runs to win themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
                    Just a couple of days ago, I watched some cricket for the first time and it's growing on me since.
                    Right now there's a Twenty20 World Championship in South Africa and I was wondering if any of our members are following that competition.
                    Yep Aussies the world cup holdiers how many times in row now 3 or 4? mmmm I do enjoy twenty20 but havn't really been following the championship accept for us beating the poms haha suck on that pieterson
                    http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

This is some good footage of the 2005 series for Americans interested . I'm sure the Aussies have some good stuff to show you too. One of Shane warne bowling mike gatting springs to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMSyZ...elated&search=
                      Last edited by copenhagen; 17 Sep 07, 08:38.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                        This is some good footage of the 2005 series for Americans interested . I'm sure the Aussies have some good stuff to show you too. One of Shane warne bowling mike gatting springs to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMSyZ...elated&search=
                        MMMM I wouldn't of brought that up my British friend coming out of the second or was it the first white wash Ashes series hahaha you didn't have a chance even when you did in Adelaid who came and kicked you in the Guts Hussey!!!!!
                        http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

Well I just hope the next world cup wont be a farce like the last one in the West Indies... just too woeful to even think about it, even when Australia did win!
                          Such a drawn out affair, even for the participating teams!

The proliferation of the 20/20 worries me somewhat, the expectation of entertainment overriding a game steeped in tradition and skill. One day matches are ok, but the use of power play etc is, in my mind hardly worth the effort implementing.

I still hold the Waugh brothers as the best to come out of Australia, Warne right behind them!

How is that Enlgish bowler Harmison going these days?
                          Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by 150935 View Post
                            MMMM I wouldn't of brought that up my British friend coming out of the second or was it the first white wash Ashes series hahaha you didn't have a chance even when you did in Adelaid who came and kicked you in the Guts Hussey!!!!!
                            I love the Ashes, anywhere it's played, don't care who wins the games they are always great to watch.

South Africans have built up a fantastic rivalry against Australia so there is more fantastic stuff to veiw.
                            Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by 150935 View Post
                              Yup, we well and truly got our backsides kicked your right. Its not nice to lose but Australias strength in depth is amazing aswell as their mental strength so I can live with that. Thats why our win in 2005 was so good because of which team we did beat. Best example of test match to show the Americans I can think of because it was such a back and forth contest. Pity Warne had to retire. Richie Benaud said it was the best test series he'd ever seen. The link above is part 3 but if you go from part one , its interesting coz its shows you top class bowling and batting from both sides plus people who really know the game. For those new to the game its a fine example to watch. or this one too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jFi5...elated&search= Its a bit English biased but we dont win the ashes very often these days. lol

The aussies could put some shane warne stuff up. I think cricket misses him already.Bit like football misses Zinedine Zidane.
                              Last edited by copenhagen; 17 Sep 07, 08:47.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X