Potentially hostile teacher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potentially hostile teacher?

My International Relations teacher seems pretty hostile to me. For example today he came over while me and a friend were talking about a certain subject during reading time relating to the class, and he only talks to him and pretty much tells me to be quiet. Then we are talking again and then he moves me from my friend and chides me for talking but not him. Also during the classes he seems somewhat hostile towards me in general.
    This is subject matter is one of the things I love and I'm passionate about and I don't know what to make of his demeanor.

Stop talking during reading time. Your teacher probably caught you yapping, not your pal. The kid who's mouth is running is the guy that gets in trouble, my friend. School has just started, your teacher is trying to train the class, and you should cut him/her a wee bit of slack. If, in a few weeks you still feel singled out, talk to your counselor to get transferred to another teacher.
    Love. Where does it come from?
    from The Thin Red Line

Comment

Kenin,

Teachers are people too and they have responses like any person. All people like other people who treat them with friendliness and respect. Teachers are no different. These days respect is not automatically given to our elders like it used to be. My guess is that most teachers are not thrilled with this and do not like having to rent respect from their students.

My guess is that if you show the teacher a little courtesy and respect it will go a long way and put you ahead of your peers.

You are already ahead of the game if you like the subject. Teachers will have the tendency to like those who are genuinely interested in the subject they teach, unless this is offset by other things.

Try to put yourself in the teacher's position and think about what s/he has to deal with. Then try to act in ways that don't add to the teacher's problems or headaches.

It may be cool to not consider the teacher, but it may not be so smart. Develop the right habits in school now and you will go much farther and be more successful later.
      Last edited by Miss Saigon; 13 Sep 07, 20:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
        Kenin,

Teachers are people too and the have responses like any person. All people like other people who treat them with friendliness and respect. Teachers are no different. These days respect is not automatically given to our elders like it used to be. My guess is that most teachers are not thrilled with this and do not like having to rent respect from their students.

My guess is that if you show the teacher a little courtesy and respect it will go a long way and put you ahead of your peers.

You are already ahead of the game if you like the subject. Teachers will have the tendency to like those who are genuinely interested in the subject they teach, unless this is offset by other things.

Try to put yourself in the teacher's position and think about what s/he has to deal with. Then try to act in ways that don't add to the teacher's problems or headaches.

It may be cool to not consider the teacher, but it may not be so smart. Develop the right habits in school now and you will go much farther and be more successful later.

I don't get why he singled me out though?

Comment

Originally posted by Dolley View Post
          Stop talking during reading time. Your teacher probably caught you yapping, not your pal. The kid who's mouth is running is the guy that gets in trouble, my friend. School has just started, your teacher is trying to train the class, and you should cut him/her a wee bit of slack. If, in a few weeks you still feel singled out, talk to your counselor to get transferred to another teacher.
          He's right... Posession is 9/10ths of the law... and if you mouth is the one open... you're guilty... and yes - just because your teacher can't be creative enough and plan enough stuff for you to do in class and then makes your read... doesn't give you the authority to talk - and it doesn't matter what you're talking about... you're still going to be wrong!

CPT T
          Field Artillery
          BDE S3 - Peacemaker 3 - OIF 09
          FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

"Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin23 View Post
            My International Relations teacher seems pretty hostile to me. For example today he came over while me and a friend were talking about a certain subject during reading time relating to the class, and he only talks to him and pretty much tells me to be quiet. Then we are talking again and then he moves me from my friend and chides me for talking but not him. Also during the classes he seems somewhat hostile towards me in general.
            This is subject matter is one of the things I love and I'm passionate about and I don't know what to make of his demeanor.
            No idea why he "seemed" to single you out. It might be all mistaken assumptions.

He likely should have given to your friend what you got, I mean you were both talking.
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin23 View Post
              I don't get why he singled me out though?
              Ok, let us "assume" that you have been unfairly singled out. It makes no difference. In the mind of the teacher somehow you have come to be seen as a problem. In the real world these things happen. You need to learn to manage these problems rather than inveigh against them. Complaining about it will not help. You need to work on changing the perception the teacher has of you.

Your entire life will be a sequence of these kinds of problems. You can learn to manage them and get ahead, or complain about them and go nowhere. My vote is for learning how to manage such problems.
              Last edited by Miss Saigon; 13 Sep 07, 21:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
                No idea why he "seemed" to single you out. It might be all mistaken assumptions.

He likely should have given to your friend what you got, I mean you were both talking.
                Kids these days are wimps. Remember the good ol' days when you'd get beat with a ruler like a rented mule!

How about a cup of "shut the #$% up and read" during reading time?
                #occupyarmchairgeneral.
                Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
                Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Dolley View Post
                  Lady knows of what she speaks...

I seem to remember that you're a Jr.. I don't know how large the school is, but if you have spent the last two years there, you are a "known quanity" to the teachers. If you're known as a "talker", the instructor might be showing his limits early so you can understand them.

Might be that the teacher, like a lot of basketball refs, saw the "second foul", but you admit, the foul was made so it's a little late to worry about "fair treatment".

Might be you could move away from your friend and help the problem.

Might be the quality of your work doesn't reflect the enjoyment you have in the topic. Your posts here have shown your obvious interest in historic and world affairs, are you taking the time to give your best on his/her assignments?

Might be the Teacher was just having a bad moment. Happens..

In your defense (though a weak defense), I agree that too many teachers seem to plan a 30 minute lesson for an hour period. I'd bet that Slug and I both have the same pacing problem..... wanting to squeeze 90 minutes of information into a 60 minute time frame.

Good Luck with situation. Let us know if you need some research....
                  My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

I say leave a tack on his chair, just to let him know who'se boss.

Comment

Kevin,

Kids your age think everything that happens to them is because someone else has a problem. The world does not focus on you. There are certain problems that arise for no reason, but you were talking and you were caught. Leave it at that. It is possible you have done other things that brought on your teacher's reaction.

Pruitt
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by daemonofdecay View Post
                        I say leave a tack on his chair, just to let him know who'se boss.

NO! I know you are only kidding, but someone did that to a male teacher when I was in middle school. The teacher sat on it in the wrong spot and was badly hurt. Intentionally causing harm is not acceptable.
                        Last edited by Salinator; 14 Sep 07, 01:12.
                        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Why did he single you out? An example...a warning. He's showing the rest what happens when they ignore what he says.

Or then not.
                          Wisdom is personal

Comment

Yeah the good ol' days, yardsticks across the knuckles, back, and head, the strap, having my head bounced of a desk face first, slapped and pinched and ears damn near pulled off, and oh yes my favourite various shop tools being thrown at me. All for minor or percieved infactions. Gee wonder why I couldn't get out of school fast enough!!!

................and your teacher TALKED to you, oh the let the insanity stop!!!
                            rolleyes:
                            Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                            Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                            David Bowie

Comment

Something tells me Kevin won't be complaining to the forum's old farts in the future hehe.

Hehe yeah I remember the "good ole days".

I got the strap once in grade 2 of all places. I had been out sliding on the ice on the school yard. And sliding kids means someone eventually gets knocked down. I got to be the person that knocked another down.

Horrible criminal act eh.

So this big adult is strapping this grade 2 kid. Man talk about a man that needed to find a better challenge. Trouble was, I've had strong hands as long as I can recall. Strapping them made them red, but didn't really impress me. Must have really pissed him off though. Guess he couldn't handle being out done by a child.

That prick resented me for years atfer that. Some people can have the training, yet still not belong in a job though. And no one really liked this guy much.

Anyway, comes along grade 7 (or 8 I can't recall), and this jerk has moved schools to mine (yippee skippee). I am being atypical teen, get sent to the office, and mister principal thinks he's going to strap me. Sorry bud, I'm a great deal bigger, and certainly haven't lost the power in my hands, but now I have more backbone too. I told him his first contact with anywhere on me, was the signal to beat the crap out of him.

I don't think what I did was right of course. But, that man was also useless at his job as well.

And I have seen more useless teachers, than excellent ones. But their union is so friggin powerful, and they know, it's not about a bit of garbage not picked up, or slow mail, they have our kids and their education under their thumb.
                              I don't mind saying it pisses me off, that useless teachers are hard to get rid of.

but kids today are also a major challenge. Not that it is their fault much. And yes, you've heard me say it before. Bad kids are made by bad parents.
                              Life is change. Built models for decades.
                              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X