Colditz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colditz

I rented Colditz last night. I was hoping for something more closely related to the facts. Including the story behind the glider. Instead I got a terribly predictable love story that wasn't very good.

One thing though, it was quite something hearing "Dick Winters" talk in an Irish accent and act as the bad guy after only knowing him from Band of Borthers

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
    I rented Colditz last night. I was hoping for something more closely related to the facts. Including the story behind the glider. Instead I got a terribly predictable love story that wasn't very good.

One thing though, it was quite something hearing "Dick Winters" talk in an Irish accent and act as the bad guy after only knowing him from Band of Borthers

You might try and go here: http://www.colditz-4c.com/glider.htm
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Heh, at first I wondered what you where talking about, not remembering any females in the Film Colditz.

A quick check on IMDB reveals there's Two Colditz films, called (surprisingly) Colditz. One made in 2005 and one in 1972.

At a guess you saw the 2005 one? Might I suggest you look up the 1972 one instead (although it doesn't have the glider).

Edit:
      Or maybe the 1955 The Colditz story.
      Last edited by Listy; 12 Sep 07, 22:22.
      Winnie says
      ---------------------------------
      "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
      Herr Flick.

Comment

There was a short TV series based on Pat Reid's two books on Colditz made in 1970's which I think is what Listy mentioned.
        I have been told it was very good but it is very hard to find and not available on DVD or VHS.

John Mill's 1955 movie is also very good, but far to short at a little over an hour (it doesn't have the glider either).

Comment

But does it have the part about the British pilot with no legs who walked out the gate?

Comment

[QUOTE=Miss.Saigon;761680]I rented Colditz last night. I was hoping for something more closely related to the facts. Including the story behind the glider. Instead I got a terribly predictable love story that wasn't very good.

Indeed. I own this second rate movie, and was not impressed by the performances of it's "B-Grade" star-studded cast. Jason Preistly as the morphine addict was awful, and the over acting by the cat from BlackHawk Down riveled even the cheapness of the fat, stupid, helpful guard. Damion Lewis isn't ready act on that level yet, but he is improving.

Yeah, that's his real voice. I understand he auditioned for the "Winters" part a bit drunk, too....

"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Damian lewis was born in London, and has used many accents in his many roles so far.
              Last edited by Post Captain; 14 Sep 07, 06:44.
              Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

I think you'll find he went to Eton of all places or was it Harrow. Either way Highbrow.

Miss Saigon if your interested in a good true story POW movie try "the wooden horse" another Britsh film from the 1950's if you havent already. Digging a tunnel shaft in the middle of the exercise yard underneath a vaulting horse in plain sight. Priceless.
                Last edited by copenhagen; 14 Sep 07, 06:10.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                  Miss Saigon if your interested in a good true story POW movie try "the wooden horse" another Britsh film from the 1950's if you havent already. Digging a tunnel shaft in the middle of the exercise yard underneath a vaulting horse in plain sight. Priceless.
                  I will see if I can find this one, but I suspect it will not be available at my local video rental.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                    I think you'll find he went to Eton of all places or was it Harrow. Either way Highbrow.

I also believe this story was true, the carry on actor Peter Butterworth was actually involved in the vaulting over the gym horse, when a POW, but when he auditioned for a part in the film, he was told he was the "wrong type."
                    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Typical .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X