Famous "famous last words"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous "famous last words"

Found this collection of famous last words over at wikipedia, know of any other guys?

• "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."—Lord Kelvin, president of the Royal Society, 1895.
    • "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"—Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick, U.S. Army, just before being fatally shot at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, May 9, 1864.
    • "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."—attributed to Thomas J. Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
    • "Everything that can be invented has been invented."—Charles H. Duell, Commissioner of the U.S. Office of Patents, 1899. This has been debunked as apocryphal by librarian Samuel Sass.
    • "Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction."—Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872
    • "Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"—Harry Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.
    • "That Professor Goddard with his 'chair' in Clark College and the countenancing of the Smithsonian Institution does not know the relation of action to reaction, and of the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react — to say that would be absurd. Of course, he only seems to lack the knowledge ladled out daily in high schools."—1921 New York Times editorial dismissing the possibility of space travel
    • "No flying machine will ever fly from New York to Paris."—Orville Wright.
    • "A guitar’s all right, John, but you’ll never earn your living by it."—John Lennon's Aunt Mimi.
    • "Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau."—Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929.
    • "Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."—Maréchal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, L'École Supérieure de Guerre.
    • "We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out."—Decca Recording Co. on rejecting the Beatles, 1962.
    • "Forget it, Louis; no Civil War picture ever made a nickel." — Irving Thalberg's advice to Louis B. Mayer regarding Gone With the Wind.
    • "Any Famous Last Words?" "Not Yet." "'Not yet.' Is that famous?" — 1988 film "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen", from the scene in which Baron Munchausen is about to have his head cut off by the Sultan's executioner for the second time, and is then saved the second time from having his head cut off.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_...8expression%29

"Machine guns are of no importance in warfare" Unknown English Battalion commander in WW1, just before sending his battalion against a line of Austrian and German Machine guns. The Col. and his unit were utterly destroyed by them. Supposedly uttered in Sept of !914.

"The world is losing a great Actor"....Nero as he lay dying.

"What Happened? Just what the Hell Happened? MM1 Jake Holman in "The Sand Pebbles" (I know, not real but I like it!)
    Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
    In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
    Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

Infamous Last Lie!!!

"It is untrue that I or anyone else in Germany wanted the war in 1939." Adolph Hitler---Testament given by Adolf Hitler on 29 April 1945

More like an infamous last lie, but a measure of the tyrant never the less.
      Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
      Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
      David Bowie

Comment

Typical Wiki . . .

Most of those aren't "last words" in any way, shape, or form. Just famously bad predictions.

The most frequently used last words in the US: "Hold my beer and watch this . . ."
        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by PzKfwBob View Post
          "It is untrue that I or anyone else in Germany wanted the war in 1939." Adolph Hitler---Testament given by Adolf Hitler on 29 April 1945

Well, up until 1939, Hitler, his generals, and especially his admirals really did not expect to fight until 1944 or 1945.

How about Hermann Goering, maybe not his last words, but perhaps his last words as a respected leader of the Luftwaffe:

If any allied planes bomb Berlin, you can call me Meyer.

I wonder how many drivers said as their last words, "Don't worry about it, I'm a good driver".
          Last edited by Salinator; 05 Sep 07, 22:02.
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

"I do not wish to live forever...as I will get too wrinky." Mr. Monny 5 days before he passed away in his sleep.
            I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Originally posted by PzKfwBob View Post

I Hate To Quote Hitler Too, But:

"I See No Reason Why This War Should Continue"
              (Part of a Speech Given By Adolf Hitler As He Addressed The Reichstag on July 19th, 1940)

Comment

"What was that noise?"-garrison commander, Hiroshima, August 1945.
                If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                  Most of those aren't "last words" in any way, shape, or form. Just famously bad predictions.

The most frequently used last words in the US: "Hold my beer and watch this . . ."

Well it's what came to mind, and actually they were very nearly his last words, offically anyway!
                  Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                  Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                  David Bowie

Comment

One fictional one I love:

Holy Sh!t; where did all the indians come from? - George Armstrong Custer.
                    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Infamous ones:

Ferdamt!

SS soldier on the eastern front just before he was crushed by a T-34

Mein gott!

German soldier on the western front just before he was crushed by a M4 Sherman.

Ein bratwurst mit sauerkraut!
                      German soldier in a restaurant in Berlin just before it was hit by a 250kg bomb from a B-17
                      “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Let us cross the river and rest under the shade of the trees.-Stonewall Jackson

Helen, we shall be happier in this post.-James Longstreet
                        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Before You Come To Bed Dear............

Will You PLEASE Take Out The Trash?????

Comment

Real last words:

"Don't let it end like this...tell them I said something..."-Pancho Villa to an aide, as he lay dying from bullet wounds.

"Waiting are they? Well let them wait!"- Ethan Allen, when a doctor told him that angels were waiting for him.

"That's the last game of billiards I'll ever play"-Morgan Earp, mortally wounded from a bullet in the back.

"This wallpaper is killing me. One of us has got to go."-Oliver Wilde
                            "Yellowstain!"

Comment

"I regret that I have but one life to give for my country." Patrick Henry, just before he was hanged. I understand his actual last utterance was "Urk!" when they dropped him.

"I promise you I will not send any more American boys to Veet Nahhhm." LBJ's speech while simultaneously increasing troop levels exponetially.

"We are winning hearts and minds." Probably the most famous last words from Viet Nam.

"When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow." Unknown soldier fighting in Viet Nam.

"I am not a criminal!" Richard Millhouse Nixon

"We won!" George W. Bush

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X