Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a Little (nuke) mistake.....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/05/loose.nukes/index.html

Six nuclear warheads on air-launched cruise missiles were mistakenly carried on a flight from North Dakota to Louisiana last week, prompting a major investigation, the military officials have confirmed.
    But officials also said the incident was a major breach of security rules surrounding nuclear weapons. One Air Force official said that he could not recall anything similar happening.

Because the incident involved nuclear weapons, it was serious enough that President Bush was notified, according to military officials.

Maj. Gen. Douglas Raaberg, director of Air and Space Operations at the Air Combat Command in Langley, Virginia, has been ordered to investigate how the nuclear-tipped missiles were flown across the country without anyone knowing, officials said.

One officer already has been relieved of duty, and several others "decertified" from handling nuclear weapons, officials said.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

"Hey, Phil?"

"Yeah, Jack?"

"Did you ever see luggage that looked like this?"

I'm more supprised that they actually got to where they were sent! God knows my luggage woulda ended up in Bolivia. . .

Comment

I can think of a few cities that should have had a surprise. lets see, New york, phili, Wash DC, oops, lets cross the country, San francisco, LA, oh, don't let me forget Seattle, I am sure you have a few of your own.

Comment

Please return your nuclear missiles to their overhead storage and buckle your seatbelt.

Comment

While I Read There Were Only 5

I'm really surprised they are making such a big deal over it.

B-58's used to do the very same thing back in their day from the East Coast to The West Coast.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Duke William View Post
              I'm really surprised they are making such a big deal over it.

B-58's used to do the very same thing back in their day from the East Coast to The West Coast.
              It's not the flying over part. We stopped flying nukes in the air in the late Fifties after several aircraft went down with them. Alert aircraft sat at the end of the runway, not circling over head.

The main concern is over how they could have loaded 6 out of 12 cruise missiles with live warheads with out authorization. Even the pilots of the aircraft didn't know that they had live weapons on board.... Warheads should not even move an inch in a bunker without the proper authorization...
              “To talk of many things:
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combatengineer View Post
                The main concern is over how they could have loaded 6 out of 12 cruise missiles with live warheads with out authorization. Even the pilots of the aircraft didn't know that they had live weapons on board.... Warheads should not even move an inch in a bunker without the proper authorization...
                That is why the squadron CO in charge of those weapons lost there job and will be selling insurance in small town near you......next month.

The stand down will provide a review for all units on proper procedures.
                As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

IIRC, there is a restriction against flying them due to current treaties.
                  Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

Comment

Can you imagine if he'd have had a problem or a forced landing or something. It doesnt bear thinking about. I know they cant detonate in a crash( I'm fairly sure thats right) but the radio active material can be leaked cant it?

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                      Can you imagine if he'd have had a problem or a forced landing or something. It doesnt bear thinking about. I know they cant detonate in a crash( I'm fairly sure thats right) but the radio active material can be leaked cant it?
                      Even if the plane exploded the weapons would not detonate. There would however be a radioactive contamination problem.
                      As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                      Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                        Originally posted by dhuffjr View Post
                        Even if the plane exploded the weapons would not detonate. There would however be a radioactive contamination problem.
                        If they had a problem with the aircraft and had to land or crash THE AIRCREW HAD NO IDEA THAT THEY WERE CARRYING A LIVE WARHEAD(s). One article stated that after the aircraft landed the weapons remained on the pylons for 10 hours with just the standard security of a airbase that housed B-52's.....
                        “To talk of many things:
                        Of cabbages—and kings—
                        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X