Best martial art for self-defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best martial art for self-defense?

What is it? Jujutsu? What type of school should I contact in the hood?
    Last edited by MonsterZero; 03 Sep 07, 12:50.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

MZ,
    Lest you hear a repetition of arguments you may wish to check out this thread:Most effective martial art style.
    Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 03 Sep 07, 13:49.
    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Vovivam

Comment

The ancient Jewish Defense form of "I-Sue"

Sorry! Couldn't help myself- borrowing from Ron Kuby, Liberal Defense lawyer extraordinaire!!!

I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to martial arts.....

Comment

No matter what you say, someone will say something else, & often claim this style is best etc etc. Heard that many times. If you're looking for self defense, I would offer this, seek an instructor was has actually fought somewhere in some sort of non-point tournament venue. Like seeking advice on any other subject, find someone with real life experience. Ju Jitsu, Muay Thai, & Wrestling have done well in MMA. Judo & boxing as well.

& also this, seek a school that offers reality situation training like; You're sitting in the car, & 2 cats show up on either side & want your wallet, now what? Or someone grabs you from behind in a bar, & splatts you on your back, now what?? & weapons defense another important facet.

Many schools do not address these questions & focus on forms, or are 1 dimensional, ( I know someone's gonna come in & give me a lecture on forms), not my cup of tea.

Anyway, if you're looking for self defense, not spirituality, I would address these questions when scanning out a local dojo.

P.S. nuthin wrong with spirituality, just the thread title was 'self defense'.

Comment

Having had some experience in this area I will offer this. Any style is only as good as the practitioner and a good practitioner (practice, practice, practice) can make any style effective. Without wanting to contradict Purple Fang, forms are where it's at. They seem dull and a little staid, but that's how your body learns...muscle memory. Again, without wanting to contradict, a spiritual teacher rounds out the whole experience. The first thing my teacher taught ignorant me was 'don't fight if it's possible to get away'. Wise words.
            The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
            Sideshow Bob.

Comment

The Myagi Defence.

Otherwise, anything that you know and your opponet does not, making it harder for him to anticipate your responses.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

The Miyagi Defense: "Best defense, no be there"

But the most deadly martial art is a lead bullet:

Last edited by Salinator; 04 Sep 07, 00:50.
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Purple fang View Post
                  No matter what you say, someone will say something else, & often claim this style is best etc etc. Heard that many times. If you're looking for self defense, I would offer this, seek an instructor was has actually fought somewhere in some sort of non-point tournament venue. Like seeking advice on any other subject, find someone with real life experience. Ju Jitsu, Muay Thai, & Wrestling have done well in MMA. Judo & boxing as well.
                  Good advice.

& also this, seek a school that offers reality situation training like; You're sitting in the car, & 2 cats show up on either side & want your wallet, now what? Or someone grabs you from behind in a bar, & splatts you on your back, now what?? & weapons defense another important facet.
                  Not so good advice. Avoid RBSD like the plague. Also, Kata is not where you learn self defense. Only Alive training against a resisting partner will teach you that. To learn weapons, go to someplace that will teach you how to use firearms properly and then keep practicing with them.

If you want more information, stay away from MAP and go to either Bullshido or Sherdog.

Comment

I've seen this program recommended. Can't vouch for it myself, but maybe there's something useful here. Does anyone here have any experience with it?
                    http://www.targetfocustraining.com/home.html?split_id=3
                    --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

The Smith and Wesson Katas....one of the very best unless you opponent is a student of Kalishnikov......

Personally Tae Kwon Do has work well for me...2 life or death fights (Robbery attempts overseas with Balisongs involved)....and I am still typing.... go figure....
                      Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
                      In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
                      Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

I advise against a grappling form of martial arts such as Judo or Sambo, If you ever have to fight zombies, You're going to be F**ked.

Comment

Naff, what part of Utah? My cousin used to train with Pedro Saur.

A very famous martial artist was cornered in his car & jacked. That's why I mentioned reality training. If one of the top names in the game can be slotted, I would advise doing reality scenario training. This does not in any way invalidate or replace hard sparring.

You may have already seen this, but for those who haven't, it's Pedro smoking Mr Utah-body builder. Quailty not great, but has him helpless with armbar. Pedro 150 lbs, Mr Utah 250.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RnvaBMlNpI&eurl=
                          Last edited by Purple fang; 05 Sep 07, 01:02.

Comment

Logan. Unfortunately all we have up here is a Bobby Lawrence Krotty shop and and Aikido dance studio.

Comment

Originally posted by the_redstar_swl View Post
                              I advise against a grappling form of martial arts such as Judo or Sambo, If you ever have to fight zombies, You're going to be F**ked.
                              Ah, a fellow reader of the 'Zombie Survival Guide', I see.

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains. . .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X