Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fathers Day

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fathers Day

    Happy Fathers Day to all you Dads out there.

    Hope you all get treated like kings today (the way we all deserve, right?) and with any luck, you might even get something a little better than jocks & socks!
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

  • #2
    Well my second Father's Day turned out to be the best so far. We don't really do these days that are really about selling cards, power tools or kitchen machinery in our house. But this morning I got to sleep in until 11 am. I also got a book entitled 'Omaha Beach' by Joseph Balkoski. I've only read a few pages so far but it's okay.
    The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
    Sideshow Bob.

    Comment


    • #3
      It's the feeling of the day that matters

      Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
      Well my second Father's Day turned out to be the best so far. We don't really do these days that are really about selling cards, power tools or kitchen machinery in our house. But this morning I got to sleep in until 11 am. I also got a book entitled 'Omaha Beach' by Joseph Balkoski. I've only read a few pages so far but it's okay.
      I agree that Mothers Day and Fathers Day have both become far too comercialized. I see ads on TV and hear them on radio, trying to get you to spend hundreds of dollars on the gifts. I strongly disagree with that; it's not what Mothers and Fathers Days are supposed to be about.

      Having said that, it is nice to get something a little better than socks or jocks. I did OK, with a couple of DVDs, a gift voucher to EB Games and some shortbread, not to mention a very nice card with some extra beautiful words and drawings done in hand by my son.

      My wife's Dad will be visiting for lunch shortly and I'll be catching up with my own Dad later today.

      I guess it's really the feeling of the day that matters.


      Best to you and your family,
      panther3485
      "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
      Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

      Comment


      • #4
        Is it Father's Day in Australia?

        This weekend is our Labor Day.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

        Prayers.

        BoRG

        http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by salinator View Post
          Is it Father's Day in Australia?

          This weekend is our Labor Day.
          Yep. Here, Mothers Day is the second Sunday in May and Fathers Day is the first Sunday in September.

          Does you Labor Day always fall on a weekend?
          "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
          Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

          Comment


          • #6
            I was going to ask the same thing.

            Nope always on a Monday
            "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

            CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

            Comment


            • #7
              Long weekend, then?

              Originally posted by No_Nickname View Post
              I was going to ask the same thing.

              Nope always on a Monday
              Assume then, that the Labor Day Monday would be a public holiday, so you get a three-day weekend?
              "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
              Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                Assume then, that the Labor Day Monday would be a public holiday, so you get a three-day weekend?
                Yeah, and it's awesome.
                "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

                CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by salinator View Post
                  Is it Father's Day in Australia?

                  This weekend is our Labor Day.
                  Yes, because we don't follow the commie May 1st for Labor day!!

                  Happy Father laborer day

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have a kiwi friend that always sends me a calendar for christmas

                    It's usually fun to see my wife get confused when the holidays mentioned on it make no sense to her
                    Life is change. Built models for decades.
                    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                    I didn't for a long time either.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                      Happy Fathers Day to all you Dads out there.

                      Hope you all get treated like kings today (the way we all deserve, right?) and with any luck, you might even get something a little better than jocks & socks!
                      Damn Furryners, making me think it's fathers day and all that.

                      Why can't you wierd people get into line with us normal people and celebrate your holidays on the right days like we do?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Duke William View Post
                        Damn Furryners, making me think it's fathers day and all that.

                        Why can't you wierd people get into line with us normal people and celebrate your holidays on the right days like we do?
                        Only after the US goes metric. BTW YOU'RE the foreigner.
                        The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                        Sideshow Bob.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
                          Only after the US goes metric. BTW YOU'RE the foreigner.
                          I am more than Happy that we do not use the same Labor day as everyone else, which shouldn't be hard for people to guess why. However, on this one I have to agree with our Aussie friend Geek. He is right. When are we going to just suck it up and go Metric. It is a scientific system that doesn't care about the sizes of some king's appendages and is just plain better. We need to get on board with this. After all, the 2 litre coke bottle didn't kill us did it?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Duke William View Post
                            Damn Furryners, making me think it's fathers day and all that.
                            I almost called my father. Damn kiwis.
                            Wisdom is personal

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Karri View Post
                              "I almost called my father. Damn kiwis."


                              Hey! Watch who you're calling a Kiwi, mate!

                              "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                              Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X