A Feeling of Nostalgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Feeling of Nostalgia

As i was relaxing and letting my dinner digest, my mind wandered back a few decades....

Things... Is there some 'thing' that in your childhood (16 under) that to you now seems to have an almost iconic status?

It can include tools, food, items, anything you interacted with and made a deep impression on you.

Actions... Is their one action in your childhood that in a way defines what it was like for you when growing up?

This can be a hobby, game, 'job', any 'pastime' that you experienced.

Places... Is their one place in the town/city where you grew up thats come to represent 'where' you are from?

This can be a street, building, park, anywhere that you think of as truly 'being home'.

Favourite... Is their anything you remember doing, seeing or visiting in your childhood, that if you do/did it now would take you straight back in memory?

My Answers...

Things...

Eating a 'JUBBLY/JUBILEE' in the street. A Jubbly is a 'confection' made of (usually) orange flavoured ice, triangular in shape and about hand size. After ripping off one edge it took forever to eat/lick/suck/drink (as it melted). The short cut of bashing it against a brick wall invariably caused it to shoot straight into the kerb!

Actions...

Playing 'RUN-OUTS' for hours on end. The game is essentially 'team-tag/it/he' and was played over an area of many streets and roads. All members of a team had to be caught before a 'win' was achieved, with the losers being the team caught the quickest. Each game often lasted hours!

Places...

Had to think long about this. Eventually plumped for Hampstead Heath in London. Vast amounts of time spent playing football, lazing around and just exploring the huge place brings back great memories.

Favourite...

Travelling on the London tube/underground. The sights, sounds and yes smells still bring on that nostalgic feeling. NUFF SAID.

Looking forward to your answers and possibly learning about where you're from.

regards

Gaz

This is a tough one for me - I grew up as an Army brat and moved every two to three years until I graduated from high school, at which time I entered the military and went back to moving even more often! That means I'm not really "from" anywhere; I'm from everywhere, more or less.

Hmmm...let's see....an "iconic" thing: trains - we traveled everywhere on them when I was a kid.

actions: traveling. I love doing it.

places: for some reason, the housing area in Perlacher Forst, just outside Munich, is usually the one that sticks in my mind the most. Where we lived just outside of Salzberg - and I went to school in the King's stables - ranks second.

Favorite: the thing that takes me back is a certain scent of flowers that grew everywhere in Germany. The second I smell them, I'm back where I was as a kid again. The second place one is the smell of diesel fuel/exhaust which was a constant companion during 20 years of military service. One whiff of the stuff and I feel like I'm back in uniform again.

Comment

You know what they say about Nostalgia dont you? Nostalgia its just not what it used to be.

Comment

You're right - it's bigger and better. The human mind remembers the good things and filters out the bad, making your past a wonderful place full of great memories.

Comment

Good subject allsirgarnet. I recently bought the game Stratego for my sons, and my oldest son and I play just about every night. This particular version has all the Transformers on the pieces. This has really brought back a lot of memories for me as I used to enjoy playing this game with my family members when I was between 6-10.
          I can identify with MountainMan a lot, because I am an Army brat as well, and loved growing up on military posts.

As far as actions I loved playing pickup games of sports when I was young.
          I loved pickup games of baseball that would last most of the afternoon, or pickup games of football in the Fall after school or on the weekends. I also liked pickup games of basketball at the outside courts, or going to the gyms on post and playing. These are great memories with friends.

I also loved playing video games as an action as well. That is one of my favorite hobbies. I really enjoy playing video games with my sons. He is really good and beats me in Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2. I loved going to the arcades and playing video games as a youngster.

"Get three coffins ready" The Man With No Name

Comment

Things...

Atari 2600. I still think back to the days of how much fun I had with that thing.

Actions...

Building treehouses. My friend and I built 2 although one of the treehouses was a constant project and ended up being 5 stories. We had specific themes for each room -- game room, snack room, lookout room, etc.

Places...

Indiana beach. The family always went to indiana beach for 2 weeks every year. We had a boat and did a lot of skiing, swimming, and of course going to the boardwalk. Every year my immediate family, some of my older brother's friends, a babysitter for some of us younger kids (I was the youngest), grandparents, family friends would go at the same time. It was quite the merry bunch and made for some great memories.

We would stay at the cabins in rocky point which was just to the left of the boardwalk amongst the trees. I haven't been in years but they've added a lot of things such as that large wooden roller coaster and a lazy river and water slides along the beach. They also have the wooden tobagan slide that's been there since my parents met at indiana beach back in the 50's.

http://www.indianabeach.com/
            Islam... it's a blast - literally.

Comment

I used to spend ALL my money from my paper round (route) on model aeroplanes and tanks. I'd build them in a day but it was excellent fun.

There's a small town around two hours east of where I'm sitting called Noojee in West Gippsland. My father and I used to camp in the Mountain Ash forests around there and at Wilson's Promontory where the Crimson Rosella's (small red parrots) would perch on your head, hand anywhere, looking for sunflower seeds. Wilson's is the southern most point of the Australian mainland and is a wilderness park.

Summer days during school holidays when I would leave the house on my bike in the early morning when it was still cold only wearing shorts and a tee shirt. We'd be all over the suburb all day on outr bikes only going home for lunch and dinner. We had to be home by the time the street lights went on. One time we rode out of the suburb for miles to watch a concrete factory burn to the ground.
              The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
              Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Thing - Tonka trucks.

Actions - playing outside ALL the time, inside was for punishment. If you were inside, you did something wrong. Inside was for eating and sleeping primarily. There wasn't enough on tv yet, and cartoons only happened on the weekend.

Places - the outdoors in the neighbourhood (back when some lots were still fields), or edge of town (when there still was one that hadn't been developed). Climbing a tree, or playing in a creek (when there still were creeks that are now just underground piping) or hiding in fields.

Favourite, being genuinely innocent, unable to see the real world as it was. Being no different than the Beav on Leave it to Beaver.

I miss my youth.
                Life is change. Built models for decades.
                Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

"Zeit Geist" or "Time of Spirit" refers to the time of life, usually late teens, when a great deal of our references points are created.
                  These usually are remembered as our best of times and referred to the most.
                  Sports, music, friends, events, etc.

Comment

Much like Aries . . .

Small town Michigan - Farms, villages of a couple hundred, woods, lakes, lots of fields, lots of cattle.

I remember reading. I could walk two miles to the public library [alone] and read myself silly. The books were probably out of date before I was born but it was all new and wonderful to me.

Rolling farmland. We moved off a farm when I was ten but we went to school with the farmers' kids and our parents all knew eachother. We could go camping anywhere anytime all summer long. The older kids telling scary stories and bragging about whatever they'd recently gotten away with. The younger kids scouring the area for more dry firewood to keep the flames and the fun going, "just a little more".

Even now I can't imagine a better time or place to be ten years old.
                    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
                      As i was relaxing and letting my dinner digest, my mind wandered back a few decades....

Things... Is there some 'thing' that in your childhood (16 under) that to you now seems to have an almost iconic status?

It can include tools, food, items, anything you interacted with and made a deep impression on you.
                      Oh, there are probably lots of those. Various toys I had -- e.g., a "Cooties" game (big plastic insects to be assembled) and various toy guns (a very small cap pistol modeled after a 17th-century flintlock comes to mind) and my dad's WWII souvenirs, some of which my friends and I would play army with (e.g., combat belt, holster, canteen). And then there are the candies I'd enjoy -- like the "Look" bar (which must be obsolete now; it was a bar of tough nougat coated in chocolate; and another candy bar, the "Big Hunk," was the same thing without the chocolate coating). I could go on and on.

Actions... Is their one action in your childhood that in a way defines what it was like for you when growing up?

Two things jump to mind: playing army (later wargames), and chasing girls.

Before age nine or so, the neighborhood kids and I would get together often to "play army"--run around in a patch of woods, wearing army-surplus gear or carrying items our fathers had brought home from the war, and pretending to be soldiers fighting each other. At age thirteen, a friend and I discovered Avalon Hill board wargames -- and they dominated our lives for the next several years (I kept at them until about 1994, when I got fed up with ASL and lured into the dark side of computer gaming).

Chasing girls was a favorite pastime of mine in third and fourth grade especially (that was 1963 and 1964). I was a self-proclaimed little playboy and chased flocks of girls around the playground. Felt like king of the world for that short while. Of course, I never knew what to do when I caught a girl, or when she caught me. And my popularity took a nose dive the next year anyway (a couple years later, instead of king of the playground, I'd be the victim of playground bullies; guess I was a would-be lover, not a fighter).

Places... Is their one place in the town/city where you grew up thats come to represent 'where' you are from?

This can be a street, building, park, anywhere that you think of as truly 'being home'.
                      We moved every few years. I was born in San Diego, but we left when I was five or six. Then we lived in Folsom, California, till I was nine; and I do have fond memories of that town -- it feels like where I'm really from. The place and the neighborhood kids there make it seem more like my childhood home than any other.

When I was nine, we moved to Lodi, and I never liked the place. My mother and sister still live there. And when I visit, I do have fits of nostalgia. But it feels more like a second home than where I'm really from.

In Folsom, I lived at the end of a dead-end street -- Sutter Street, which is now a famous historical district. There was a small patch of woods nearby, and a big field, and we could walk down to the American River, where a friend and I established a secret cave. The walk along the lush riverside was full of mystery and possibility, and it looms large in my childhood memory. There was also a dike along the river, and my dad and I would walk along it sometimes -- toward the prison and back (yeah, the prison that Johnny Cash sang about).

Here are some picture of Sutter Street in Folsom:
                      http://www.myfolsom.com/photos-sutterstreet.shtml

Favourite... Is their anything you remember doing, seeing or visiting in your childhood, that if you do/did it now would take you straight back in memory?
                      Well, the things I mentioned above. Wargaming always takes me back, for one thing -- especially if I see one of my old favorites on eBay or something.

An odd memory I'll throw in: my dad installed overhead garage doors for a living, so anytime I interact with a garage door (beyond just pushing a button to automatically open one), I'm back in time, helping sort out hardware or carry door panels.

Oh, and visiting childhood places always floods my heart with nostalgia. Several years ago, I walked through my old high school -- and it was weird, because I felt like I was fifteen again and on my way to class.

I still make a point of visiting Folsom whenever I'm in the area, sometimes walking down by the river. Last time I was there, much of it still looked the same. They tore down my first school, though--Granite Elementary. And remodeled the house I lived in.
                      Last edited by Patrick Carroll; 30 Aug 07, 09:51.
                      --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Things...
                        Food was a little rat shack called Chicken Galore. I've driven from Virginia to San Diego via Florida, Louisiana and Texas, and let me tell you, those Chicken Galore ribs were the best -- hands down. Second best: Peebles, Kissamee, Florida.

Actions...
                        We were such brutes growing up. We were surrounded by empty lots and abandoned buildings, so there were plenty of chunks of broken concrete lying around, so when we played war, we never wanted for ammunition. Then there was the rough tackle basketball, street football without pads and helmets, the stabbings at the Ecuadorian soccer league . . . . it's a wonder we made it out alive.

Places...
                        Most of the places by us were visually unappealing. I loved Forest Park, a spot once refered to by a local bartender as proof positive of your local bona fides if you got laid in there. I knew from a very young age that I wanted to get away. My choice was the spot near the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge, where George Washington evacuated after getting dusted in the Battle of Long Island. Apart from that most of my favorite spots were in rural Upstate New York: the hill overlooking the old iron New York Central railroad bridge in Central Bridge, or the topographical crest in Ferndale, which afforded a magnificent view of the valley. The only trouble was that it was prone to lightening strikes. Oh well, you can't have everything.

Favourite...
                        I loved emerging from under ground as the 4 train approached 161st Street. The train turns slightly to the right and Yankee Stadium came into view. Did that for four years of high school, and that was the high point. I was getting a little weepy yesterday at the prospect of the House That Ruth Built being used as a ballpark for only one more year, but I might not be around to take my kids to their first -- and last game at the real Stadium. I guess that I'd better take 'em this year.
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
                          Thing - Tonka trucks.

I miss my youth.
                          As the old saying goes: "The trouble with youth is that it is wasted on the young."

I like your list, Aries. I remember that stuff, too.

Comment

AAHHH memories:

My life and youth was spent moving frequently, I was an Airforce Brat. The only thing I hated was starting new schools. As for the good memories,

Before my teens:
                            -playing war (summer) - snow forts (winter) - thinking WWII was fought in Black and White, some how - board wargames and models - space, the moon landing - Mom's cooking - Star Trek - Our first colour TV - first naked woman Boxcar Bertha in Dad's Playboy - first crush Uhura

Teens:
                            Rock (DISCO sucks) Girls- German Beer and Girls - warp-powered sex drive Girls- Partyin' Girls - Concerts Girls .....the rest is a blur until I joined the military.
                            Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                            Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                            David Bowie

Comment

My Answers...

Things...

Eating a 'JUBBLY/JUBILEE' in the street. A Jubbly is a 'confection' made of (usually) orange flavoured ice, triangular in shape and about hand size. After ripping off one edge it took forever to eat/lick/suck/drink (as it melted). The short cut of bashing it against a brick wall invariably caused it to shoot straight into the kerb!

Actions...

Playing 'RUN-OUTS' for hours on end. The game is essentially 'team-tag/it/he' and was played over an area of many streets and roads. All members of a team had to be caught before a 'win' was achieved, with the losers being the team caught the quickest. Each game often lasted hours!

Places...

Had to think long about this. Eventually plumped for Hampstead Heath in London. Vast amounts of time spent playing football, lazing around and just exploring the huge place brings back great memories.

Favourite...

Travelling on the London tube/underground. The sights, sounds and yes smells still bring on that nostalgic feeling. NUFF SAID.

Looking forward to your answers and possibly learning about where you're from.

regards

Gaz
                              Things: I would have to go with GI Joe action figures, the three inch ones. Everytime I see one of those old ones it takes me straight back in time to my childhood.

Actions: When I camo up and play airsoft wars with my nephews it takes me back to the days when me and my buddies would put on our camo, Marine hats (most of us thought we wanted to be Marines then, lol), and pick up our BB guns and head out into the woods and play war against imaginary enemies for hours; and sometimes camp out for the next day; on end.

Places: Birmingham, AL. Particularly Green Acres subdivision and then Gardendale right outside of B'ham in Peachtree Estates. Those are the two neighborhoods my grandparents lived/live in. It takes me waaaayyyyy back.

Favorite: WWII Vets. I remember looking up to and admiring these seemingly unending heroes in my youth. Now they are few and far between. They are still my heroes.
                              It's my firm conviction that when Uncle Sam calls, by God we go, and we do the best that we can. - R. Lee Ermey

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X