Pastries and Such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pastries and Such

Somebody just started a real manly thread about steaks. Here's one for the cream puffs among us.

What's your favorite delicacy in the line of pastries?
    --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

I like things with fruit. Fruit pies and such. Probably my favorite are fruit tarts. Those round custard filled pastry crust things with a mix of fruit on top. Usually a few kiwis strawberries, and blueberries. Those are Yummy

Comment

Oops -- I meant to add a poll, but I forgot to check the Poll box. So, here are some specific pastry-type things to choose from:

eclair, donut, scone, pie, cake, torte, danish, cinnamon roll, cream puff, brownie, cannoli, cookie, tart, croissant

Or name your own "fat pill" if it's not on the list.
      --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Hey steak is steak, but, my wife makes pastry so frigging good that often the crust is the best tasting part of the pie.

Chocolate eclairs, hmm doesn't get much better.

Butter tarts, a Canadian invention, so good tasting even if they are dietary suicide.

Warm peanut butter cookies with coconut. So darned good, and who cares if they can kill some people.

Raspberry anything, it just seems to go well in any sort of pastry.

Homer's fav, dooooooooonuts. I like em with cinnamon sugar coating.

Pumpkin pie with whipped cream topping.

Moist Black forest cake, no such thing as too much.

Did I mention you can never have too many cookies?

Mincemeat tarts (oddly enough there's no meat in them eh), it's all fruits.

I don't like rum by itself, but it tastes great in chocolate rum balls with coconut.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Carroll View Post
          Oops -- I meant to add a poll, but I forgot to check the Poll box. So, here are some specific pastry-type things to choose from:

eclair, donut, scone, pie, cake, torte, danish, cinnamon roll, cream puff, brownie, cannoli, cookie, tart, croissant

Or name your own "fat pill" if it's not on the list.
          Eclairs, cream puffs and anything stuffed with custard are at the top of my list. Next comes a good apple strudel with lots of sliced apples, cinnamon-sugar and covered in puff pastry. Those are two desserts that I can never turn down.
          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Generally speaking, I like pastries with substance. If it's light and fluffy or flaky, I'll like it less than if it's heavy and solid or creamy. So, I like pies better than cakes, scones better than muffins, bagels better than croissants.

My all-time favorite pastry, I suppose, is the cannoli. When they're made well, they can't be beat as a special dessert treat.

But more often than not, I want a pastry to complement a cup of coffee; and cannoli doesn't do the trick there. It has to be something breadlike -- no cream or fruit fillings, and preferably no icing either. Scones are just about perfect, and the more solid, the better (well, fresh and solid; I don't want a stale brick).
            --Patrick Carroll

Comment

Glad to see that no one is having any trouble picking his one favorite. Especially Aries.

To me croissant is not a pastry because it is savory, unless you do something to make it sweet. Croissant is my favorite breakfast food.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                To me croissant is not a pastry because it is savory, unless you do something to make it sweet. Croissant is my favorite breakfast food.
                That's why I titled the thread "Pastries and Such" -- so you could talk about your favorite breakfast food if you wanted to.
                --Patrick Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                  I like things with fruit. Fruit pies and such. Probably my favorite are fruit tarts. Those round custard filled pastry crust things with a mix of fruit on top. Usually a few kiwis strawberries, and blueberries. Those are Yummy
                  I make tarts frequently and will post the recipe for Pate Brisee (the crust) and Creme Patisserie (the custard) if you would like. I am at work now and it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I use fresh raspberries with a little Chambord (a raspberry liquer), strawberrys with a little Cointreau or Grand Marnier, cherries with Kirsch, Blueberries with cognac, and other fresh fruits and appropriate liquers.

other fairly easy but great desserts I make are Creme Brulee, Chocolate Mousse, and Poires au Gratin which is so simple I can remember the recipe.

Poires au Gratin
                  In an oven proof baking dish
                  3-4 ripe pears, peeled and sliced about 3/8" thick
                  toss with 1/4 cup vermouth or dry white wine
                  2-3 macaroons, dried in a warm oven and crumbled, sprinkled over pear / wine mix
                  dot with about 2 tablespoons butter (I use frozen butter chopped into pea size bits and sprinkled over the top)
                  bake in 325 oven for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned.

Serve warm or at room temperature. Vanilla ice cream works really well with warm Poire au Gratin spooned over the top.
                  "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Will nostalgia do?

As a kid in the 60's, i often used to go to Chapel Market in Islington (London). At the Kings Cross end was a small stall that sold 'Apple Fritters'.

Apple Fritters'...

Slice of apple, dunked in a thick wedge of donut donut/fritter batter, then deep fried as you watch until golden brown and crispy. Final touch was a thick sprinkling of sugar.

Gaz

Comment

Tim Hortons does great apple fritters, although I prefer getting blueberry fritters.
                      Life is change. Built models for decades.
                      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
                        Will nostalgia do?
                        Sure!

As a kid in the 60's, i often used to go to Chapel Market in Islington (London). . . .
                        And I used to walk past a bakery on the way to school (in Lodi, California), where various pastries were displayed in the window. What sticks in my mind is the price: most every pastry cost less than ten cents. So, even a kid like me could stop in and buy something for a few pennies. (I especially liked the six-cent "maple bars" -- which are called "long johns" here in Minnesota.)

At the Kings Cross end was a small stall that sold 'Apple Fritters'.

Apple Fritters'...

Slice of apple, dunked in a thick wedge of donut donut/fritter batter, then deep fried as you watch until golden brown and crispy. Final touch was a thick sprinkling of sugar.
                        Sounds like the Wikipedia article is right, when it says American fritters are different than English ones:
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritter
                        --Patrick Carroll

Comment

Oh, and btw, here's where to get the world's best doughnuts:
                          http://www.worldsbestdonutsmn.com/index.php

I was there once. They were good. (I wouldn't rave about doughnuts, though; I mostly passed on the Krispy Kreme craze.)
                          Last edited by Patrick Carroll; 29 Aug 07, 14:23.
                          --Patrick Carroll

Comment

Sure!

And I used to walk past a bakery on the way to school (in Lodi, California), where various pastries were displayed in the window. What sticks in my mind is the price: most every pastry cost less than ten cents. So, even a kid like me could stop in and buy something for a few pennies. (I especially liked the six-cent "maple bars" -- which are called "long johns" here in Minnesota.)

Sounds like the Wikipedia article is right, when it says American fritters are different than English ones:
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritter
                            Pat...

If i remember rightly, each apple fritter cost 3d... around 1.2 pence in todays money?

The problem though was the previous places i walked past to reach the stall, which included De Marco's Icecream parlour AND Manzes pie and mash shop!

SADLY, all three are now gone... thanks to the ex resident of Liverpool road which ajoins Chapel Street (BLAIR)

As to fritters mate, i think these were quite rare. In the 60's the only other fritters i knew of were school dinner 'SPAM' fritters!

To be honest,apart from home cooking, Pie and Mash (Manzes or Cook's), the Greek chip shop in Holloway road and Tubby Isaacs stall... 1960'S English food was invariably SHITE!

BTW... whats a 'maple bar'?

Gaz

Comment

Oh, and btw, here's where to get the world's best doughnuts:
                              http://www.worldsbestdonutsmn.com/index.php
                              Heh... "be a registered Donut Eater at World's Best Donuts".
                              "I am not an atomic playboy."
                              Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X