• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...rpc=22&sp=true
    U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people
    Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:25pm

By Laura MacInnis

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.

India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.

Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.

On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.

France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.

"Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading," Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said.

"Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.

The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.

Five years ago, the Small Arms Survey had estimated there were a total of just 640 million firearms globally.

"Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed," Krause said, attributing the increase largely to better research and more data on weapon distribution networks.

Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.

An armed society is a polite society.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

On the face of it this article makes it sound like almost every person in the United States owns a firearm. However when you look at the numbers they can be skewed very easily. I happen to own a number of different firearms myself. If only 1 person out of ten owned a firearms then 10% of the population could be said to own them and the per capita rate would also be 1 gun per 10 people, however if that same person owns 9 weapons while the percentage stays the same, the per capita rate rises to the same level as in the article 9 guns per 10 people. Numbers are often manipulated to make a case for an arguement. I would not be suprised to learn that the actual percentage of those owning a firearm in the US is dramatically lower than this article makes it sound to be.
      Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

Now if those firearms could just be well distributed and citizens taught to use them against oppressive leaders, foreign or domestic, we'd be in better shape.

I read somewhere that in Switzerland every citizen owns a rifle, practices with it, and intends to use it against the leaders of any invading army. I haven't tried to verify this, but it sounded like a good idea when I read it. Just needs to be extended to domestic tyrants too.

Here in Minnesota, there's a controversial concealed-gun law that passed in the wake of 9/11. Most anybody can easily get a permit to carry a concealed firearm. But property owners can forbid them on their turf. Hence, you'll see signs on buildings everywhere: No Firearms Permitted in This Building. Kinda like Old West saloons, where you had to check your six-shooter at the door.

Me, I happen to own a couple .22s -- keepsakes from my deceased father. But they're stored away, and I don't have any bullets or anything.

I'm kinda superstitious, I guess: it seems to me that if a person puts a lot of attention on threats and arms himself against them, he creates a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's good to be prepared, but it can be bad to overprepare.
        --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

The USA and Britain are remarkably alike in some ways, especially with regard to laws that should have been abolished nearly 200 years ago.

You have 'the right to bear arms'... because even today those damn Redcoats are still probably planning to march from Lexington to Concord!

We still have 'income tax'... for as you know Napoleon is still planning to invade us an someone has to pay the army!

Gaz

Comment

I guess my question would be: what's wrong with those other ten percent?!

Comment

Wait a minute...are the stats in the article correct?

U.S. is first with 90 guns/100 citizens
              India is second with 4 guns/100 citizens

USA! USA! USA!

madness!
              All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

NEVER BELIEVE STATISTICS YOU HAVE NOT FALSIFIED YOURSELF!

Comment

I've sold off most of my gun collection. Currently, I still have my Glock 19, Sig 226, AR-15 with the M4 conversion kit, my G3KA4.

Oddly enough, the crime rate declined in Texas following the passage of the CCWL.

Comment

Lets keep it that way

Comment

God bless America!
                      How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
                      275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Now if that survey had been done in my Neighbor hood it would look like this

120 guns per every 10 people!
                        My little corner has about that many! Not a good place to pick for a crime or to rob....If I dont see the thief, my neighbors will and they are all decent shots!
                        Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
                        In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
                        Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

As reported earlier this week, some dirt bag who got pulled over in a
                          routine traffic stop in Florida ended up "executing" the deputy who
                          stopped him. The deputy was shot eight times, including once behind his
                          right ear at close range. Another deputy was wounded and a police dog
                          killed. A statewide manhunt ensued. The low-life was found hiding in a
                          wooded area with his gun. SWAT team officers fired and hit the guy 68
                          times.

Now here's the kicker:
                          Naturally, the media asked why they shot him 68 times. Polk County
                          Sheriff Grady Judd, told the Orlando Sentinel - "That's all the bullets we
                          had."

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                            An armed society is a polite society.
                            nope mate look what happens with this school shootings man how many happened in the last three years in the states?

Hey can anyone tell me where Australia came I herd we were one of the lowest gun per person but I don't know can anyone let me know about that please
                            http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

Originally posted by panzermacher View Post
                              Now if that survey had been done in my Neighbor hood it would look like this

120 guns per every 10 people!
                              My little corner has about that many! Not a good place to pick for a crime or to rob....If I dont see the thief, my neighbors will and they are all decent shots!
                              Well if you think about it'll be a good place to live if u want to keep your stuff because if people that live near you in a bit of a dodgy neighbourhood would they rob you if they thought you were the same as them?
                              http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X