Trust No One!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trust No One!

There are a few areas ive always found very interesting, either in the context of my scientific background or my interest in the 'unexplained' (occult etc). Two subjects that always seemed to provide fun by colliding head on are Astro-physics and UFO'S (X-File context). The former deriving from the 'thrill of exploration and the unknown' and the latter (possibly ) from the 'thrill of Gillian Anderson'

Anyway...

The Net is always a good source info and amusement about both subjects, and it was in combining the two that i recently checked out the 'MUFON' (Mutual UFO Network) website.

First off let me say i went in with an open mind, quite willing to give everyone their fair dues. What i quickly found though was a clearly paranoid membership that in everyway lived up to the 'freaky' portrayal they frequently recieved in the X-Files. If anything the TV characters were underplayed, both in terms of 'the secret agenda' and their response to sceptics.

So...

I wonder if members would care to give their views on astro-physics, UFO'S, Aliens, X-Files, Gillian Anderson, space travel, the universe and/or any combination of these you like. Serious, surreal, witty or smutty... all views are welcome!

BONUS...

Nearly forgot. Here follows just a tiny few of the 'thread headings' from the General/UFO Talk/Alien Beings forum at MUFON...

The "Known" Alien Races
    Say Something To Extra Terrestrials
    Top questions to ask an alien?
    Who has had significan alien contact and why
    colonization/do we have space cousins?

... which will hopefully give a flavour of those who 'believe'

(For SERIOUS Paranoia the Government & UFOs forum is of particular interest!)

regards

Gaz

Astrophysics: Fascinating subject...particularly when approached as an interdisciplinary study with cosmology.

UFO's: People see things that appear to be flying that they cannot identify...End of Story.

Aliens: If extraterrestrial civilizations exist or have existed, the shear vastness of interstellar space makes it highly unlikely that we will ever detect their presence...Or they ours.

X-Files: The show was OK. The concept that our government is hiding evidence of monsters, space aliens, flying saucers and other hocus-pocus is

Gillian Anderson: She's no T'Pol.

Space Travel: Yes please.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
      Astrophysics: Fascinating subject...particularly when approached as an interdisciplinary study with cosmology.

UFO's: People see things that appear to be flying that they cannot identify...End of Story.

Aliens: If extraterrestrial civilizations exist or have existed, the shear vastness of interstellar space makes it highly unlikely that we will ever detect their presence...Or they ours.

X-Files: The show was OK. The concept that our government is hiding evidence of monsters, space aliens, flying saucers and other hocus-pocus is

Space Travel: Yes please.
      DOC...

Your expanded thoughts on ....

Astrophysics/ cosmology - context being possible composition and nature of known universe.

Space Travel - context of possible/probable space exploration by humanity over next 50 years.

... would be of great interest.

regards

Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
        DOC...

Your expanded thoughts on ....

Astrophysics/ cosmology - context being possible composition and nature of known universe.
        My short answer is...42.

My long answer would be boring as all get out. In one of the Creation v. Evolution threads I kind of expounded on it a bit. I'll see if I can't dig those posts up and summarize them.

Originally posted by allsirgarnet
        Space Travel - context of possible/probable space exploration by humanity over next 50 years.

... would be of great interest.

regards

Gaz
        We could make huge strides in space travel over the next half-century if we applied ourselves.

Things I would like to see:
        The Space Elevator to move heavy payloads into orbit.

A re-usable space plane capable of ferrying people to and from orbit safely.

A permanent Moon base.

A space-based defense system to track and deflect Near Earth Objects.

Orbital solar power generators.

L-5 type city-sized habitats in stable orbits between the Earth and the Moon.

Manned missions to Mars and the Jovian / Saturnian satellite systems.

Mineral extraction industries and heavy industries moved into space and/or out into the solar system.

I think all of those are achievable in a century or two.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

My short answer is...42.

My long answer would be boring as all get out. In one of the Creation v. Evolution threads I kind of expounded on it a bit. I'll see if I can't dig those posts up and summarize them.

We could make huge strides in space travel over the next half-century if we applied ourselves.

Things I would like to see:
          The Space Elevator to move heavy payloads into orbit.

A re-usable space plane capable of ferrying people to and from orbit safely.

A permanent Moon base.

A space-based defense system to track and deflect Near Earth Objects.

Orbital solar power generators.

L-5 type city-sized habitats in stable orbits between the Earth and the Moon.

Manned missions to Mars and the Jovian / Saturnian satellite systems.

Mineral extraction industries and heavy industries moved into space and/or out into the solar system.

I think all of those are achievable in a century or two.
          42 !

The question being i suppose, 'what do you get if you multiply.... '

Questions...

Would your given 'examples' be a solely American venture(s), sperately achieved by different nations and groups, international or possibly a pipe dream given the current situation?

Which of the above projects do you think most important to either the USA and/or the world as a whole... and WHY?

Should NASA be scrapped and replaced with something 'new'?

Will international rivalry and conflict naturally spread into space with our possibly expansion?

Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
            42 !

The question being i suppose, 'what do you get if you multiply.... '

Questions...

Would your given 'examples' be a solely American venture(s), sperately achieved by different nations and groups, international or possibly a pipe dream given the current situation?
            I think they would be a combination of national, international and even corporate endeavors.

Which of the above projects do you think most important to either the USA and/or the world as a whole... and WHY?
            The defense against NEO's. As opposed to global warming, ozone holes and the whole enviro-Chicken Little Syndrome…a really big NEO could extinct us and we could actually prevent it from happening.

Should NASA be scrapped and replaced with something 'new'?
            It needs a lot of re-tooling. It should be pioneering the way for commercial ventures in space.

Will international rivalry and conflict naturally spread into space with our possibly expansion?

Gaz
            It will until we run into the Klingon Empire...

Comment

Excellent list Doctor

I think NEO defense is worth the cost of a space program all by itself.

An L-5 type space station is also more logical than either a lunar 'colony' or a smaller space station. A large permanent structure like that would be better shielded from natural hazards than a small station and would effectively be the Earth's orbital space port.

I'd limit activity on the moon to research and collecting raw materials. Not sure if it would be cheaper in the long run to mine the moon or bring in small asteroids but anything that avoids bringing bulk materials up out of the Earth's gravity well is step toward becoming a true space faring civilization.
              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

I've posted this before and if need be, I can dig out the book that I read it in. 'Cosmos' by the late Dr. Carl Sagan. He and some colleagues were playing with equations and ideas (scientists find odd things amusing I guess). They came up with an equation based on conservative estimates of the numbers involved. The finding was;
                In the entire lifespan of the galaxy (not the universe) to date, there have been one million civilizations advanced enought to have achieved radio telescopy...this includes us obviously. At any time within that lifespan, there will be between one and ten such civilizations.
                Certainly this finding is based on estimates as opposed to evidence and I take the findings as such. Interesting nevertheless. I can find the book and quote the equation if anyone needs me to. As for the rest, I concur with The Doctor except about Gillian Anderson. I would talk to her at a party and I would offer her a lift home too.
                The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                Sideshow Bob.

Comment

]

Neither are Lt Uhura
                  Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                  Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                  David Bowie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                    Berlin.1945
                    by casanova
                    The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                    Yesterday, 23:41
                  • casanova
                    AW 169M
                    by casanova
                    The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                    Yesterday, 23:26
                  • JBark
                    What changed?
                    by JBark
                    There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                    Yesterday, 18:54
                  Working...
                  X