I fear for the coming generation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fear for the coming generation.

My church runs an after school ministry for the youth and I brought an Avalon Hill game to teach to any student with free time. First I was playing against our youth minister. He was a pretty good player for his first time. When he turned the table over to one of the kids they promptly got creamed. But live and learn, I figured. But he wasn't interested in playing again and most of the kids looked at the game and declared there were "too many numbers involved". The kids hadn't yet had their brains fried by hours of math homework so I knew this was a genuine sentiment not just of the moment.

The sad part was this was Kriegspiel, one of AH's simplest strategy games. I could understand being bewildered by an AH monster like Fortress Europe but Kriegspiel is Chutes and Ladders as far as wargames go.

The Ipod generation will be the end of us.

Oh well, at least they like Stratego and there is one chess player.
    Last edited by Pirateship1982; 24 Aug 07, 15:53.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

It's all psychology.

First you challenge their manhood by telling them that you learned your first game when you were their age (heck lie if you have to ).

Then make it plain that only the smart ones have any chance at figuring out a real gaming experience, and that console shooters are only for the mentally challenged

Hey, it might work
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I don´t use Ipod (whatever it is).
      I own a mp3 but I uses mostly as a pocket memory.
      I got a cell phone but I don´t uses that much either.
      I read on my free time ( when I am not sitting here)
      I don´t smoke or drink.

So the upcoming generation might not be the last!
      “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
        My church runs an after school ministry for the youth and I brought an Avalon Hill game to teach to any student with free time. First I was playing against our youth minister. He was a pretty good player for his first time. When he turned the table over to one of the kids they promptly got creamed. But live and learn, I figured. But he wasn't interested in playing again and most of the kids looked at the game and declared there were "too many numbers involved". The kids hadn't yet had their brains fried by hours of math homework so I knew this was a genuine sentiment not just of the moment.

The sad part was this was Kriegspiel, one of AH's simplest strategy games. I could understand being bewildered by an AH monster like Fortress Europe but Kriegspiel is Chutes and Ladders as far as wargames go.

The Ipod generation will be the end of us.

Oh well, at least they like Stratego and there is one chess player.
        Sorry to upset your apple cart, but you are the comeing generation. Sh-- I retired from the Army 4 years after you were born/hatched. Oh and yes I fear a lot of what that promises

HP
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
          Sorry to upset your apple cart, but you are the comeing generation. Sh-- I retired from the Army 4 years after you were born/hatched. Oh and yes I fear a lot of what that promises

HP
          Heheh, yep, anyone under 40, is not really the same as anyone over 40.

I predate almost anything using electricity, and referred to as entertainment.

I can recall seeing so many things that seemed interesting at the time, and that are now distant memory to society.

Ah the good ole days of Books for 60 cents, comics for 15 cents, toys that would survive if put in a tub of water or a mud puddle. And games that required a mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
            Heheh, yep, anyone under 40, is not really the same as anyone over 40.

I predate almost anything using electricity, and referred to as entertainment.

I can recall seeing so many things that seemed interesting at the time, and that are now distant memory to society.

Ah the good ole days of Books for 60 cents, comics for 15 cents, toys that would survive if put in a tub of water or a mud puddle. And games that required a mind.
            If I can expound on that last line, or toys and games that actually required kids to go outside. That is becoming a rare sight in the US. Kids riding their bikes, playing cowboys and indians(or playing Army), playing sandlot baseball with ghost runners and outfielders, backyard football, going to a creek and looking for crayfish and frogs, skipping pebbles along said creek, fishing, or just plain going to the woods, shooting a basketball at an outdoor hoop, or God Forbid, climbing a tree. Or how about walking to school? They all have to have a ride nowadays.
            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
              If I can expound on that last line, or toys and games that actually required kids to go outside. That is becoming a rare sight in the US. Kids riding their bikes, playing cowboys and indians(or playing Army), playing sandlot baseball with ghost runners and outfielders, backyard football, going to a creek and looking for crayfish and frogs, skipping pebbles along said creek, fishing, or just plain going to the woods, shooting a basketball at an outdoor hoop, or God Forbid, climbing a tree. Or how about walking to school? They all have to have a ride nowadays.
              The "Good old days", before B/W TV or the telephone # of 1168M. That's what we told the operator, NO not the one in India, just across the bridge in down town. Well crap many of you don't even remember down town. Now that was always the nice place to go. You know were the woman dressed up to go shopping and the men treated the woman as ladies. Ah WTF the good old days are long gone and if today is going to be someones good old days then Stop the world I want to get off.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Hmmmm playing Army. Jumping off the garage roof into Dad's rhubarb patch, it was soft, pretending to be paratroopers on D Day. Man I even had a rolled up sheet on my chest as my reserve chute. My proudest posession, my plastic Tommy gun.

PS. Dad was not impressed. He was even less impressed when we cut the door off the shed pretending to be firemen, dug up the garden to make the River Kwai, tunneled under the neighbours fence (the Great Escape) etc. Ha ha ha ha good times.
                War. Young men killing each other for the benefit of old men!

Comment

It's all psychology.

First you challenge their manhood by telling them that you learned your first game when you were their age (heck lie if you have to ).

Then make it plain that only the smart ones have any chance at figuring out a real gaming experience, and that console shooters are only for the mentally challenged

Hey, it might work
                  But then you might need their help with the remote control for your TV, so don't put the kids down because of a stupid board game!!!
                  "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                  Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
                  Bukowski

Comment

INCOMING!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

It took my family forever to realize there was such a thing as pcs. It wasn't until I was 16 before we actually got it. And, I go everwhere on my bike. Man, I own a sterio system, but, in a year, I've only used it maybe three times. I love digging trenches and playing Civil War, despite the fact I am an 18 year old, and people dropping thier jaws when I say I only have an N64. Man, and just to think, the only reason I got it was the fact that somebody who actually had money got it for me since I had cancer.
                      History of War Podcast

Episode 1: Why Study Military History?

Comment

My son is on his computer a way lot, but, oh well, he spends a sizable sum of time outside booting a soccer ball too. His friends say he's the best at school with a soccer ball.

But I miss those days mentioned by revans in his last post. I did the tree climbing frog catching thing, and I was out in the boonies with buddies playing army when today, too many kids are out playing drug dealer for real.

Comment

Well...

As for me, I can remember days when I had to go outside and play games if I wanted to have some real fun. To be sure, I did have a computer, but it was Commorode 64 with only a few games, not enough to hold a kid's interest for a while. At that time, Internet didn't come into fashion yet, and I actually had to go to a public library to get information I needed and to get the latest news I had to read newspaper articles occasionally. Ah, those were good old days!

As for our next generations, let me be totally honest with you, I think America is definitely screwed up for good, because they aren't getting a good education or taught one too many liberal values that have no place in our proud history and heritage. I shudder to think what will happen when I finally get old and have to depend on them to take care of me or make important decisions on America's destiny. I'm sure Framers are spinning in their graves if they knew how US Constitution is so twisted to serve liberal values. Equally disgusting is the fact there are so many attacks on Christianity and its tenets across in America. Increasingly America is becoming a pagan country with absolutely no respect for its Christian heritage. I'm pretty sure Pilgrims didn't come to America with the intention of turning it over to the likes of Hillary Clinton and countless liberals.

I think we're in midst of the biggest cultural war we've seen in a long time, something that will truly rival the revolutions of 1960's. Baby boomers fought that cultural war back then, and in so many ways they're still fighting the same old war today as evident in the upcoming presidential election. Pretty soon, they will have to step off the stage and let the generations of 1960's and 70's take the stage. What changes will they make? No one knows for sure, and I think that's kind of scary for me. In only twenty or so years YOUR and MY generation (late 1970's and early 80's) will take over the stage. Hopefully by that time, we will be able to point in the right direction for America to follow.

However, I fear by that time, any vestige of Christianity will be gone and it will be no longer about whether kids can do mathematical formulas in their heads, but of what moral values will we instill in them? Will they be materialistic values or good old-fashioned Christian values? If kids have gotten their minds and eyes so fixated on ipods and cool technological devices, then they are being wasted away very slowly until nothing remains of value to us whatsoever. If that happens, then America is most definitely doomed to fail...miserably and horribly. Every other country is bent on beating America in competition and has been building up their hatred of us though based on bad misconceptions of our society as to vent it outward to us, and unfortunately for us, America isn't taking notice.

In all, we are most definitely screwed royally and painfully! Kids nowadays don't really learn very well, and in my book not a very good thing. To me, it's kind of like conservatives holed up in Alamo with hordes of liberals on every side of it, ready to blast away walls and pour through breeches, spending every bullet, destroying what's left of Christian heritage and ideals America upheld for over 225 years. The only question for conservatives, can we rally forth and hold Alamo unlike the real epic battle of Alamo? Can conservatives take the war to them? Can we do that? We're at the crossroads right now, something I genuinely believe is a wholly unique moment unlike anything Americans witnessed in the annals of American history except for Civil War. It's Rubicon for America. The question is, what sort of land will she cross into? Are we like the British who perhaps weeped when they finally woke up and saw their magnificent empire ruined and dwindling in its majesty and glory? Is it really too late for us to change what is supposedly pervailing reality in America?

Anyway, I think it's time for me to stop here right now...sigh...or perhaps for a moment anyway, kids will be...kids, eh?

Dan
                          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I predate almost anything using electricity,
                            What? Like light bulbs?

Comment

Every generation gripes about the change that the next generation will bring. I think it's just that as we get older, we fear that the world may change in such a way that will pass us by or that we will not be able to keep up with. In that world, we -- the previous generation -- become less needed, less important.

A wise man once told me that he believed the thing that people feared most about change is a loss of stature. We want to believe that we are important, that we matter, that the world would be worse off without us. Generational change is a way for the up and coming generation to say, "You've started us off on the right foot, now we can do it ourselves."

Stephen Crane, author of The Red Badge of Courage, wrote this poem:

A man said to the universe:
                              “Sir, I exist!”
                              “However,” replied the universe,
                              “The fact has not created in me
                              A sense of obligation.”
                              That, I think, is what we fear most of all.

Anyway, long story short... I wouldn't be too hasty to judge future generations by a lack of interest in a hobby that you find interesting. People change, entertainment changes -- that doesn't mean it's any less valid or legitimate. It's just different from what you like.
                              "I am not an atomic playboy."
                              Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X