British History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British History

I am not sure if there has been other thread on the site about this (I am sure there probably are, but am too lazy to look thru all the pages to see).... But I am looking for a few good ideas/titles on some books on British History.

Something that does a good to decent job of providing the history of Britain and the British Isles (outside of British History for Dummies that is).
    Last edited by Nukehawg; 24 Aug 07, 13:14.
    Loyal Member (unless a higher bidder comes along anyway) of 5th Armchair General Battalion (5 ACG) of S. INC

A "history of the English speaking peoples" is a good book. I forget hthe author but Im sure amazon will have it. Im no encyclopedia on British history but I studied it at university level. What are you particularly interested in?

Comment

There is also a book called "Ruling Britannia by Glyn Williams and john Ramsden. This covers Britain from 1688 to 1988 and shows the rise of Britain as the first modern industrialised nation and colonial power through to its decline as a major power in the 20th century. As an American you might find this interesting because it covers that period when British and American history in many ways become intertwined.

Comment

Right now.. I am looking for just a very good overall history of Britain. Something that covers the breadth of British History (from before the Romans till present day). I will branch out to more in depth or specific areas later (although most of that will be in the middle age time frame..aka.. From William the Conqueror until the 1800's or so), but for right now, just something overall.
        Loyal Member (unless a higher bidder comes along anyway) of 5th Armchair General Battalion (5 ACG) of S. INC

Comment

A history of the english speaking peoples book is definitley a place to start then.
          I'll have more of a think for you and see if I can help. Why so interested in British history, trying to trace your old world roots or something mate?

Comment

'A History of Britain' by Simon Scharma is worth reading.

'Warrior Race' by Lawrence James covers the military nature of the British pretty well.

There are much more in depth studies to be had if you want something more academic in nature but these tend to be multi-volume and quite expensive.
            Signing out.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
              A history of the english speaking peoples book is definitley a place to start then.
              I'll have more of a think for you and see if I can help. Why so interested in British history, trying to trace your old world roots or something mate?
              No real big reason as to why I am interested in British History other than just a natural outreach of my absolute love of histoy. I haven't taken the time to study British history yet and figured now was the time to start. British history not only has a lot to do with ours (America's), but also encompasses most all of it as well (Roman Empire, Vikings, Angles/Saxons, etc)... just an all around fascinating subject. Plus being "cousins" to the british people (and having ancestors from there as well) I am partial to you wonderful Brits as well.

Comment

I'm getting a crash course in British history. I'm taking a class on Literature of the English Restoration. Working on neoclassicism and the restoration concept of order currently. You would be amazed at how important British political history is in their literature. Actually, maybe not. Heck it's even suspected that Beowulf was altered to fit the political/religious spin of the times.

One thing I am doing is starting from the topic of the English Restoration on Wikipedia. Then I am following all the linked articles around as they apply to what I am studying. It's an ok supplement at times. At least it is fun and fills in some gaps.

Comment

A "history of the English speaking peoples" is a good book. I forget hthe author but Im sure amazon will have it. Im no encyclopedia on British history but I studied it at university level. What are you particularly interested in?
                  You forgot the author? Winston Churchill

The four volumes are:
                  • "The Birth of Britain"
                  • "The New World"
                  • "The Age of Revolution"
                  • "The Great Democracies"
                  They cover the time of Caesar's invasion through WWI.
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
                    You forgot the author? Winston Churchill

The four volumes are:
                    • "The Birth of Britain"
                    • "The New World"
                    • "The Age of Revolution"
                    • "The Great Democracies"
                    They cover the time of Caesar's invasion through WWI.
                    Worth reading but they need to be read with the understanding that WSC regarded 'The English Speaking Peoples' as having a special role in the World - namely to bring 'civilisation' (i.e. WSC's idea of civilisation) to everyone. Given that very slanted perspective I can't recommend reading them in isolation. Scharma's recent work is far more balanced imho.
                    Signing out.

Comment

Churchill ,old son!.

Lots of stuff via Amazon

per ardua ad astra

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X