X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essay writing

I saw it on ACG:
    http://militaryhistory.about.com/gi/...plesessay.org/

I expect Deltapooh, Ivan, Don and many others there. Maybe we can put together an other one here (and spend the money on WHQ)...
    a brain cell

That looks like fun. If anyone decides to submit something, myself included, it would also be fun if WarfareHQ could make a little room to see what the submissions were like once the contest is over. You cannot submit something that has been "published" somewhere else first and a post might qualify as a submission.
    Get the US out of NATO, now!

Comment

Originally posted by SparceMatrix
      That looks like fun. If anyone decides to submit something, myself included, it would also be fun if WarfareHQ could make a little room to see what the submissions were like once the contest is over. You cannot submit something that has been "published" somewhere else first and a post might qualify as a submission.
      Yeah publishing is not allowed, maybe we can create restricted forum
      a brain cell

Comment

Very interesting indeed. I'll need to think about how the principles have changed.
        "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

I'm interested...this might be against the rules - I can't see why - but perhaps we could submit a joint entry? Proceeds to WarfareHQ, and split amongst the contributors.

3,500 words is not a lot, so it might not work.

DP: I'd be interested in writing a joint one with yourself, and others if they were interested.
          Now listening too;
          - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov
            I'm interested...this might be against the rules - I can't see why - but perhaps we could submit a joint entry? Proceeds to WarfareHQ, and split amongst the contributors.

3,500 words is not a lot, so it might not work.

DP: I'd be interested in writing a joint one with yourself, and others if they were interested.
            Sounds good, or i could just do some research and leave it up to you experts to write.
            Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

I'm willing to help out. The topic itself is new to me. Has this war on terrorism changed the principles of war? Should it be allowed to? I need to give this one some thought.
              "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh
                Very interesting indeed. I'll need to think about how the principles have changed.
                To all:
                Everyone can make a own essay, that I propose let's find someone whose name will be used to a joint essay.

To DP:
                I read in the near past a Soviet book on the principles of war, and he said: the principles never change only the forms.
                (and he speaks about the laws of war, too: e.g. the war will be decided by the economical and ideological point of view, etc...)
                E.g.: I remember the form of strength concentration is changed time to time...etc.
                a brain cell

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh
                  I'm willing to help out. The topic itself is new to me. Has this war on terrorism changed the principles of war? Should it be allowed to? I need to give this one some thought.
                  Same thought with me. Of course the highlights changed only, eg.g the PR/propaganda part of the war is more important today.

But before we have to find the principles of war
                  a brain cell

Comment

(Maybe it is useful for Ivan) The book I mentioned is
                    V.E. Savkin: Osnovnie principi operativnovo iskustva i taktiki (Moskva 1972)
                    a brain cell

Comment

Joint essay? No way! 3500 words is not that much is it?. I can't imagine a poster at any of the forums I frequent not being able to manage that all by themselves. In order not to violate the rules of not having been "published", wait until the contest is over and then post it somewhere here.
                      Get the US out of NATO, now!

Comment

Hello,

Do you really need to write 3,500 words on how much the principles of war have changed in centuries? I can sumrise it best in the words of General William T. Sherman, "War is hell."

In my opinion, the basic principles of war haven't really changed a lot. The means of waging a war, whether it be terrorism or a major conflict, may differ greatly from centuries ago, however, the end is still the same, one side victorious and the other a loser.

Dan
                        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772
                          Hello,

Do you really need to write 3,500 words on how much the principles of war have changed in centuries? I can sumrise it best in the words of General William T. Sherman, "War is hell."

In my opinion, the basic principles of war haven't really changed a lot. The means of waging a war, whether it be terrorism or a major conflict, may differ greatly from centuries ago, however, the end is still the same, one side victorious and the other a loser.

Dan
                          I take it you won't be entering Dan?

Anyway, as noted 3,500 words is not a great deal to do before February. However, the prize mony suggests theres going to be a hell of a lot of quality submissions. The best way to go about it is to research in depth, that takes time, writing is the easy part, having a valid and standoutish argument is harder. It might pay to submit a group worked piece rather than a individually worked one. We have a hell of a lot of brain and education reseources in theis forum, so i suggest we use it. I'll be in it, especially if the proceeds go to WFHQ.
                          Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Uh, other essay contests:

http://www.usni.org/contests/contests.html
                            a brain cell

Comment

Some principles of war:

http://www.2worldwar2.com/principles-of-war.htm
                              a brain cell

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...