Knuckleball strikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knuckleball strikes?

How does a baseball pitcher keep a knuckleball in the strike zone?

I would think that a knuckleball would go out of bounds most of the time.

Or is it only criminal spitballs that become that much unpredictable?

Originally posted by SkyPilotUU View Post
    How does a baseball pitcher keep a knuckleball in the strike zone?
    He practices.

Comment

You mean knuckleballs aren't predictable. I think they are usually strikes. I see you are from Houston. Don't you remember when J.R. Richard and Nolan Ryan of the Astros did a contest against Phil Niekro? Niekro's knuckleball was so fast they couldn't even register it on the radar gun. J.R. Richard and Nolan Ryan were throwing as hard as they could, and I don't think their fastballs broke 70. Wow, that knuckleballer Niekro was fast.
      Also, I think the screwball might be the pitch that would be the easiest for an arm to throw. It just seems that the arm was designed to throw screwballs.

"Get three coffins ready" The Man With No Name

Comment

"How does a baseball pitcher keep a knuckleball in the strike zone?"

The trick is to make the batter *think* that the knuckleball is in the strike zone.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
          You mean knuckleballs aren't predictable. I think they are usually strikes. I see you are from Houston. Don't you remember when J.R. Richard and Nolan Ryan of the Astros did a contest against Phil Niekro? Niekro's knuckleball was so fast they couldn't even register it on the radar gun. J.R. Richard and Nolan Ryan were throwing as hard as they could, and I don't think their fastballs broke 70. Wow, that knuckleballer Niekro was fast.
          Also, I think the screwball might be the pitch that would be the easiest for an arm to throw. It just seems that the arm was designed to throw screwballs.

I think you might have this backwards, Sgt. The knuckleball comes in so slow that it didn't used to register on the old radar guns. There's no way that a knuckleball is faster than a fastball. And good reference on J.R. Richard. That guy threw HARD!
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

The way a knuckleball moves depends on a variety of different factors including the wind speed and direction, the surface of the ball, and the seams on the ball. Every other pitch has a set movement due to the rotating of the seams but the knuckleball is the most unpredictable because it doesn't spin. I must say that I can throw a pretty decent knuckleball myself.

Comment

Well I used the knuckleball quite frequently when pitching in my youth from
              age 9 until age 15, then I was switched to catcher. Wind and grip
              are probably the most important factors for a good knuckleball. Some use
              the two-fingered knuckle grip, others (me) use the four-fingered knuckle grip.
              If the wind was not coming from behind me while pitching I would usually have
              a pretty good one- wind against you is the best direction though. My knuckler
              would usually float up there, dance a little bit from side to side and then
              drop off the table. Power hitters seemed to have the most trouble handling
              the pitch, and I would get great joy out of them taking mighty whiffs to no
              avail.
              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

You got that right dgfred. If you are swinging for the fences, odds are you aren't going to hit a knuckleball. Best thing to do is go with the pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
                  And good reference on J.R. Richard. That guy threw HARD!
                  Yeah, I can't remember whatever happened to J.R. Richard. I think he lead the NL a couple of times in strikeouts in the late 70's and early 80's, but then I lost track of him. Remember Mike Scott that used to pitch for the Astros? He had like one year in 1986 I think when he was throwing that split finger fastball and striking guys out left and right. Then, I didn't hear much about him after that. I remember "Sports Illustrated" did an article about split finger fastballs, and one of my buddies on my baseball team learned how to throw it after that, and then threw like a 2 or 3 hitter the next game.
                  Speaking of knuckleballers, anyone remember when Joe Niekro got busted with the nail file in his back pocket after the umpire came to the mound? That was a classic moment in baseball.

I also think Kent Tekulve from the Pirates beat Nolan Ryan and J.R. Richard in a fastball contest one time too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
                    Yeah, I can't remember whatever happened to J.R. Richard. I think he lead the NL a couple of times in strikeouts in the late 70's and early 80's, but then I lost track of him. Remember Mike Scott that used to pitch for the Astros? He had like one year in 1986 I think when he was throwing that split finger fastball and striking guys out left and right. Then, I didn't hear much about him after that. I remember "Sports Illustrated" did an article about split finger fastballs, and one of my buddies on my baseball team learned how to throw it after that, and then threw like a 2 or 3 hitter the next game.
                    Speaking of knuckleballers, anyone remember when Joe Niekro got busted with the nail file in his back pocket after the umpire came to the mound? That was a classic moment in baseball.

I also think Kent Tekulve from the Pirates beat Nolan Ryan and J.R. Richard in a fastball contest one time too.

Unfortunately one James Rodney Richard suffered a massive stroke not too long after the All-Star Game in 1980 which in fact almost cost him his life. At the time he was considered one of the most feared pitchers in the game. Think of Randy Johnson, JR Richard was just about as tall and threw as hard with both his fastball and slider, the only difference was that he was a righthanded pitcher.
                    Last edited by cst784; 20 Aug 07, 18:59.
                    Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                      The trick is to make the batter *think* that the knuckleball is in the strike zone.
                      I thought about Goose Gossage and Catfish Hunter.

Especially Catfish Hunter.

All I heard was a lot of he said she said heresay rumors about Catfish Hunter on the mound using too many signals onto his catcher,

and touching his hat and everything else where he was supposed to keep grease or something,

based on that it was theoretically impossible for a baseball to be able to move the way Catfish threw it.

As in it is theoretically impossible according to ?who (I do not know) so it must be a spitball.

And if I remember correctly IIRC, there was never any evidence,

and the Yankees were the loudest complainers until Catfish joined the Yankees.

At the time I thought Catfish agreed to join the Yankees just to shut them up.

Comment

Take your base[2]

FOXNews.com - Goose Gossage Elected to Baseball's Hall of Fame ...
                        Goose Gossage Elected to Baseball's Hall of Fame, Goose Gossage became only the fifth relief pitcher elected to the Hall of Fame, earning baseball's highest honor on his ninth try ...
                        http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,321094,00.html

Footnotes

[1]
                        He used to be a fastball pitcher, same as Jim Bouton, author of "Ball Four" book, was a fast ball piticher before he lost it, then afterwards he became a relief pitcher.

[2]
                        Before the age of designated batters and 100 thousand dollar contracts, it was a professional courtesy for pitchers to walk each other, ball four, so as to avoid a conflict of interest, beanballs, dusters, retaliation, so on and so forth.

[3]
                        Are steroid crimes worse than spitballs?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X